NGC 6840 and 6843 or Why did I take these?

Old September 29th 17, 07:35 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default NGC 6840 and 6843 or Why did I take these?

I've been taking clusters that get no respect from imagers. In this case, I'm wondering why I even put these on that list as there's nothing much here. Probably because it gave me the chance to catch two "nothings" in one narrow field of view. Unfortunately, I apparently forgot that twice nothing is still nothing.

This field is in northeastern Aquila. It has two NGC objects not in the RNGC catalog (R for revised). Though most NGC listings include them. This is because most feel they are both just asterisms the Herschels recorded as clusters. William Herschel recorded the stars of NGC 6840 on September 4, 1784 and John recorded NGC 6843 on July 29, 1829. NGC 6840 is in neither Herschel 400 observing program.

While a bit east of the main part of the Milky Way there still is a lot of dust in the region. I doubt enough to turn blue cluster stars as red as most of the stars seen here, however. Unfortunately, being considered asterisms I found virtually nothing on either of these. WEBDA lists neither. My The Sky 6 calls both a "Double Star" and gets the position of both wrong. The annotated image shows both the "correct" position for these asterisms as shown in most catalogs as well as the double stars The Sky 6's database points to. The one for NGC 6840 is very obscure. Why they picked that I have no idea.

Since I was using NGC 6840 as my centered object I almost fell for this until I noticed the true asterism and changed my center point. Good thing I was at the controls that night. The annotated image shows the only three galaxies NED lists in the image though several more can be seen. Due to the size of these files I've reduced them to 1.5" per pixel rather than my usual 1" per pixel. But the 1" per pixel image is here for those that just have to have it.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6840L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	829.5 KB
ID:	6700  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6840L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	6701  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6840L4X10RGB2X10-67ID.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	6702
Old October 1st 17, 10:52 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

I can see NGC 6840. NGC 6843 doesn't seem to exist.
The funny thing is that Guide 9 shows a point in your image if I search for NGC 6840, but it doesn't show a symbol for an open cluster anywhere. So it seems to have the position (almost) but seems to be reluctant to believe that there is really an open cluster.
Stefan