ASTRO: Common object uncommonly processed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 17th 07, 09:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Common object uncommonly processed

Seeing was very bad when I took this one. So bad I never processed it,
about 6". None of the detail usually seen in this object was visible at
such seeing. But I did notice an odd galaxy on the left side so decided
to process it anyway for that galaxy. Then I found the object I was
taking had a lot more to it than was normally seen in photos of it that
showed just the burned out center. The center is burned out mainly
because seeing didn't allow any of the fine detail there to be seen so I
just said the heck with it and let it burn out to better expose the much
larger outer region. The bright blue cloud right of center carries its
own IC number. I'm not sure if that red chevron is part of the object or
just a bit of unrelated gas that is being hit by the shock front from
the object. It has no catalog ID I could find. In any case both the
emission object and the very weird barred spiral turned out worth
processing after all. Can anyone figure out what the commonly
photographed object in the center is? Hubble took a very famous shot of
it.

The blue oval at the bottom is a 9.6 mag star that hit the very edge of
the CCD. The exposure time was cut short by clouds. Happening all too
often this spring. If I ever get seeing like I did for NGC 4517 posted
a couple days ago, I'll try again to get the core detail.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=3x10' RGB=1x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails