ASTRO: M45 lighter background any better? - M45_lighter_background.jpg

Old November 27th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Robert Price[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M45 lighter background any better? - M45_lighter_background.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M45_lighter_background.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	1506
Old November 27th 07, 11:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Robert,

I prefer this version. In the other one the background looked like it was
cut off. In the main german astro-board the general consensus is that the
background of a picture should be about 20 counts when converted to a 24 bit
JPEG. Some like it a bit brighter, some a bit darker, also depending on the
object of course. Your picture now has a background brightness of 21, so I'd
say you got it spot on. Very nice picture.

Stefan

Old November 28th 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

I wondered how much noise would show with the lighter BG and it is quite
noticeable in this image... I like the first version better for that
reason.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old November 28th 07, 04:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

The way I calibrated my monitor a 20 count like here is quite "bright"
and usually shows a lot of noise even in a full CCD image though this
being an uncooled DSLR it is even worse. Still it does show slightly
more nebulosity if that's the goal.

To me, a star cluster belongs on a black velvet like background to make
the "jewels" stand out. When nebulosity is involved then its a quandary
where to set it. I usually error on the dark side. In any case I saw
nothing wrong with the original version.

This is as much art as it is science so to me what the "artist" wants is
what is correct, whether it is to my preference or not.

Rick

Old November 29th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Robert Price" wrote

It looks great to me!

George N