Details on the Oxygen Generation System that will be carried by STS-121?

Old May 23rd 06, 02:42 PM posted to sci.space.station

Default Details on the Oxygen Generation System that will be carried by STS-121?

Anyone know where to find details for the new Oxygen Generation System that
will be carried by STS-121? I'm looking for more than just press releases
and news articles. I was hoping for some details about the system's
capabilities and how it works.

That and I'm hoping it will be more reliable than Elektron. This is the
sort of equipment that *needs* to be flown on ISS in support of future
missions beyond LEO, whether they're NASA missions, or commercial missions.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old May 24th 06, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.station

Well, I can't find the link to KSC pictures that I posted a while ago,
but Jacques posted a press release in February that may apply:

'RELEASE: 06-061

NASA PREPARING OXYGEN GENERATION SYSTEM FOR SPACE STATION

NASA is preparing to launch an oxygen generation system to the
International Space Station. The system uses water to generate
breathable oxygen for crew members. Life support systems like this
are necessary to support future long-duration missions to the moon,
Mars and beyond."

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.space.station/msg/e274fd3987684284?hl=en&

/dps

Old May 24th 06, 09:17 PM posted to sci.space.station

snidely wrote:
Well, I can't find the link to KSC pictures that I posted a while ago,

Not applicable; I was noting the water processing equipment. See the
KSC Media Archives for KSC-04PD-1309 and KSC-04PD-1310.

The message was in the Zero-G Still thread;
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.space.tech/msg/585441b63db4abe7?hl=en&

but Jacques posted a press release in February that may apply:

[...]
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.space.station/msg/e274fd3987684284?hl=en&

But Jacques didn't have a link to the pictures, and I didn't find
anything relevant at the KSC Media Archives (yet, anyway).

/dps

Old May 24th 06, 09:24 PM posted to sci.space.station

snidely wrote:
But Jacques didn't have a link to the pictures, and I didn't find
anything relevant at the KSC Media Archives (yet, anyway).

Ahhh...KSC-06PD-0155, 0156 (and if you like seeing shipping boxes,
0153, 0154).
You can clearly follow the workings from that picture!

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/detail.cfm?mediaid=27830

/dps

Old May 24th 06, 10:02 PM posted to sci.space.station

"snidely" wrote in message
oups.com...

snidely wrote:
Well, I can't find the link to KSC pictures that I posted a while ago,

Not applicable; I was noting the water processing equipment. See the
KSC Media Archives for KSC-04PD-1309 and KSC-04PD-1310.

The message was in the Zero-G Still thread;
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.space.tech/msg/585441b63db4abe7?hl=en&

The above link eventually led me to this PDF:

http://www.msfc.nasa.gov/NEWSROOM/ba...acts/eclss.pdf

Still very high level, but better than press releases. Unfortunately, it's
also very dated with a date of May 2002 at the top of the document.

Old May 24th 06, 11:04 PM posted to sci.space.station

Jeff Findley wrote:
http://www.msfc.nasa.gov/NEWSROOM/ba...acts/eclss.pdf

It also uses electrolysis to get O2 out of water. What is important to
know is how different this unit is from the Elektron, and whether there
were any design changes done to it as a result of the problems with
Elektron in flight.

More importantly, with the demise of the shuttle, has it been
mechanically redesigned so that any part inside the rack can be field
replaceable (as opposed to the general idea of replacing racks). Once
shuttle stops flying, racks will not longer be a unit that can be
transported (unless HST materialises, and that doesn't seem to be in the
near future).
Old May 24th 06, 11:09 PM posted to sci.space.station

Jeff Findley wrote:
[...]

The above link eventually led me to this PDF:

http://www.msfc.nasa.gov/NEWSROOM/ba...acts/eclss.pdf

Still very high level, but better than press releases. Unfortunately, it's
also very dated with a date of May 2002 at the top of the document.

"The Oxygen Generation System will accommodate the
addition of a Carbon Dioxide Reduction Assembly
(CReA). Once deployed, the CReA will cause hydrogen
produced by the OGA to react with carbon dioxide
removed from the cabin atmosphere to produce water
and methane."

Now we know the real reason the VSE rev 0.09a' lunar lander was going
to use methane!

/dps