Saturn 1/1B Extant Hardware

Old July 5th 05, 08:05 PM
Ed Kyle

Default Saturn 1/1B Extant Hardware

For those interested, here are images of all of the
existing Saturn 1/1B test and flight stages/vehicles
that I'm aware of. I believe that two of these have
been off limits to general public viewing since
9/11/01.

SA-T Saturn C-1 static test booster at Huntsville, AL
(The very first Saturn, completed in 1960)
"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10626&Y=76632&W=2&qs=%7c huntsville%7cal%7c"

SA-D1 Saturn C-1 Block I dynamic test vehicle at Hunstville, AL
"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10601&Y=76691&W=2&qs=%7c huntsville%7cal%7c"

SA-D5 Saturn C-1 Block II dynamic test vehicle at Hunstville, AL
"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10632&Y=76820&W=2&qs=%7c huntsville%7cal%7c"

SA-211 Saturn 1B (with dummy S-IVB stage) at Ardmore, AL
"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=16&X=2549&Y=19340&W=2&qs=%7c huntsville%7cal%7c"

SIVB-211 (displayed as dummy Skylab just left of Saturn V) at
Huntsville, AL
"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10632&Y=76818&W=2&qs=%7c huntsville%7cal%7c"

SA-209 Saturn 1B at KSC
"http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kennedy+space+center,+fl&ll=28.524113,-80.682929&spn=0.003741,0.005239&t=k&hl=en"

- Ed Kyle

Old July 5th 05, 08:39 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:05:47 -0500, Ed Kyle wrote
(in article .com):

For those interested, here are images of all of the
existing Saturn 1/1B test and flight stages/vehicles
that I'm aware of. I believe that two of these have
been off limits to general public viewing since
9/11/01.

SA-T Saturn C-1 static test booster at Huntsville, AL
(The very first Saturn, completed in 1960)

"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10626&Y=
76632&
W=2&qs=%7chuntsville%7cal%7c"

I drove past that one once, years ago.

SA-D1 Saturn C-1 Block I dynamic test vehicle at Hunstville, AL

"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10601&Y=
76691&
W=2&qs=%7chuntsville%7cal%7c"

The MSFC Security Office used to be near there, where you'd go to drop
off applications for contractor security badges, vehicle passes, etc.

SA-D5 Saturn C-1 Block II dynamic test vehicle at Hunstville, AL

"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10632&Y=
76820&
W=2&qs=%7chuntsville%7cal%7c"

That one USED to be the one they'd decorate with Christmas lights
visible from Highway 20 and I-565 until they built the S-V mockup,
correct?

SA-211 Saturn 1B (with dummy S-IVB stage) at Ardmore, AL

"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=16&X=2549&Y=
19340&
W=2&qs=%7chuntsville%7cal%7c"

Driven past it many times.

SIVB-211 (displayed as dummy Skylab just left of Saturn V) at
Huntsville, AL

"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10632&Y=
76818&
W=2&qs=%7chuntsville%7cal%7c"

Has that always been displayed that way? I don't remember it at all.
Didn't there used to be an engineering mockup of the Skylab workshop
inside the main hall of Space and Rocket Center? Or am I
mis-remembering? I used to have a few dozen photos of all the stuff
there in the early 90's, but they disappeared during the divorce. :-/

SA-209 Saturn 1B at KSC

"http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kennedy+space+center,+fl&ll=28.524113,-
80.68292
9&spn=0.003741,0.005239&t=k&hl=en"

Still on my list to see someday.

- Ed Kyle

--
Herb Schaltegger, GPG Key ID: BBF6FC1C
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old July 6th 05, 07:47 PM
Ed Kyle

Herb Schaltegger wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:05:47 -0500, Ed Kyle wrote
(in article .com):

SIVB-211 (displayed as dummy Skylab just left of Saturn V) at
Huntsville, AL

"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10632&Y=76818&W=2&qs=%7c huntsville%7cal%7c"

Has that always been displayed that way? I don't remember it at all.
Didn't there used to be an engineering mockup of the Skylab workshop
inside the main hall of Space and Rocket Center? Or am I
mis-remembering? I used to have a few dozen photos of all the stuff
there in the early 90's, but they disappeared during the divorce. :-/

Until 1979, this S-IVB stage appears to have been
displayed horizontally with the SA-211 first stage
on the grounds of Marshall Space Flight Center.
It would have moved to the museum after the first
stage was moved to Ardmore in 1980 or so.

There is a chance that SA-211 may have been shipped
to Japan for a couple of years during the mid-1970s,
but I've never been able to confirm this.

The SA-T stage at the MSFC test area is the oldest
and, in my opinion, most historic Saturn. It was
the very first Saturn that performed 31 static test
firings on the East Tower, for example. This is the
booster that von Braun and Co. would have spent more
time tinkering with than any other. This was the
hardware that taught them how to build big rockets.

SA-T is unquestionably in worse shape, exterior-
wise, than any other Saturn hardware I've seen - and
I've seen almost all of them now. But SA-T also
seems to have been preserved better, in some ways,
than other Saturn stages. It was hardly modified
for display, like SA-211, so it appears much the same
way it did the last time MSFC personnel turned a bolt
on it. It has a complete set of early H-1 engines all
in their proper places, for example, and it has
turbopump exhaust ducts that are not present on other
displayed boosters, etc. It still has a 120 inch
diameter interstage truss part designed to support
the orignally planned Titan second stage! It has
holes drilled in it that show where some brackets
were originally positioned, then repositioned, etc.
It has patches riveted over patches. A technological
historian could spend a career on it, I suspect.

- Ed Kyle

Old July 7th 05, 12:40 PM
Capcom

Ed Kyle wrote:
Herb Schaltegger wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:05:47 -0500, Ed Kyle wrote
(in article
.com):

SIVB-211 (displayed as dummy Skylab just left of Saturn V) at
Huntsville, AL

"http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=16&X=10632&Y=7681
8&W=2&qs=%7chuntsville%7cal%7c"

Has that always been displayed that way? I don't remember it at
all. Didn't there used to be an engineering mockup of the Skylab
workshop inside the main hall of Space and Rocket Center? Or am I
mis-remembering? I used to have a few dozen photos of all the stuff
there in the early 90's, but they disappeared during the divorce.
:-/

Until 1979, this S-IVB stage appears to have been
displayed horizontally with the SA-211 first stage
on the grounds of Marshall Space Flight Center.
It would have moved to the museum after the first
stage was moved to Ardmore in 1980 or so.

There is a chance that SA-211 may have been shipped
to Japan for a couple of years during the mid-1970s,
but I've never been able to confirm this.

It is the SA 209 shipped at kaan expo during mid 1970

[...]

Cordialement,

Didier Capdevila
webmaster de capcomespace.net,
le site de l'espace.
Rédacteur à Espace Magazine,
le magazine de la conquête de l'espace

Old July 7th 05, 09:16 PM

SA-D1 Saturn C-1 Block I dynamic test vehicle at Hunstville, AL

The MSFC Security Office used to be near there, where you'd go to drop

off applications for contractor security badges, vehicle passes, etc.

It still is. The Saturn and the other rockets in that little park look
*aweful.* They are in massive need of refurb. I walked around 'em a
year ago or so and took a couple dozen photos; one of these days I'll
do something with 'em...

Old July 8th 05, 11:47 PM
Derek Lyons

"Ed Kyle" wrote:

There is a chance that SA-211 may have been shipped
to Japan for a couple of years during the mid-1970s,
but I've never been able to confirm this.

How in the heck could anyone not have a record of something back being
gone for a while and them coming back?

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old July 9th 05, 03:01 AM
Tim K.

"Ed Kyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

SA-209 Saturn 1B at KSC
"http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kennedy+space+center,+fl&ll=28.524113,-80.682929&spn=0.003741,0.005239&t=k&hl=en"

I have a fairly good shot from last Friday of the rocket garden at KSC VC,
taken from one of the NASA Hueys with my trusty D70.
http://www.kissimmeeprairie.org/photo_album.html