Smithsonian cashes in it's credibility

Old May 30th 05, 04:02 AM

Default Smithsonian cashes in it's credibility

Smithsonian to Screen a Movie That Makes a Case Against Evolution

By John Schwartz
New York Times
Saturday, May 28, 2005

Fossils at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum
of Natural History have been used to prove the theory of
evolution. Next month the museum will play host to a film
intended to undercut evolution.

The Discovery Institute, a group in Seattle that supports
an alternative theory, "intelligent design," is
announcing on its Web site that it and the director of
the museum "are happy to announce the national premiere
and private evening reception" on June 23 for the movie,
"The Privileged Planet: The Search for Purpose in the
Universe."

The film is a documentary based on a 2004 book by
Guillermo Gonzalez, an assistant professor of astronomy
at Iowa State University, and Jay W. Richards, a vice
president of the Discovery Institute ....

[...]

The museum, he said, offers its Baird Auditorium to many
organizations and corporations in return for
contributions - in the case of the Discovery Institute,
$16,000.

[...]

Evolution has become a major battleground in the culture
wars, with bitter debates in legislatures and school
boards, national parks and museums. Although Charles
Darwin's theory is widely viewed as having been proved by
fossil records and modern biological phenomena, it is
challenged by those who say that it is flawed and that
alternatives need to be taught.

When asked whether the announcement on the Discovery
Institute's Web site meant to imply that the museum
supports the film and the event, Mr. Chapman replied:

"We are not implying in any sense that they endorsed the
content, but they are co-sponsoring it, and we are
delighted. We're not claiming anything more than that.
They certainly didn't say, 'We're really warming up to
intelligent design, and therefore we're going to sponsor
this.' "

Old May 30th 05, 04:11 AM
David Nakamoto

Well, National Geographic had egg in its face when it announced the discovery of
a fossil showing another link in the evolution between dinosaurs or their
ancestors and birds, then found the fossil was a fake. I supposed it's the
Smith's turn. They'll learn to regret this decision.

--- Dave
Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by
The Mighty Light of ten thousand suns
Challenges infinity, and is soon gone

ups.com...

Old May 30th 05, 04:14 AM
Ed T

wrote in message
ups.com...
Smithsonian to Screen a Movie That Makes a Case Against Evolution

If "making a case" against a theory is all thats happening, it sounds
reasonable. The case made will rise or fall on its merits. I salute their
support of intellectual diversity. Science is a tool ill-suited for "The
Search for Purpose in the Universe" but people certainly are interested in
such things.

Ed T.

Old May 30th 05, 12:54 PM
AM

"Ed T" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Smithsonian to Screen a Movie That Makes a Case Against Evolution

If "making a case" against a theory is all thats happening, it sounds
reasonable. The case made will rise or fall on its merits. I salute
their support of intellectual diversity. Science is a tool ill-suited for
"The Search for Purpose in the Universe" but people certainly are
interested in such things.

Ed T.

After their fiasco with the Enola Gay, and their museum
of American history, I gave up on the Smithsonian totally.
(still get the magazine's though)
If they actually put out something in an unbiased manner
I would be surprised.
I have been going to the Smithsonian for almost 40 years,
and never has it been so bad as the past dozen or so years.
They attempted to make a political point with the Enola Gay,
and it cost the Air & Space museums director his job.........

They have a political agenda make no mistake about it.

Sadly the docents at the new Udvar Hazy center
(new A&S museum) are beyond incompetent, they
do not know the subject matter at all !! Turns out that
the positions are available on a seniority basis only.
They no nothing about the aircraft and equipment, but
love going around say they work there and how
important it is.
I never pass up the opportunity to correct their
information every time they are talking to a group
of visitors.
(I grew up in an aviation family)

Allan

Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

Old May 30th 05, 09:19 PM

Ed T wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Smithsonian to Screen a Movie That Makes a Case Against Evolution

If "making a case" against a theory is all thats happening, it sounds
reasonable. The case made will rise or fall on its merits. I salute their
support of intellectual diversity. Science is a tool ill-suited for "The
Search for Purpose in the Universe" but people certainly are interested in
such things.

Then you may enjoy browsing this website:

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

Old May 30th 05, 10:29 PM
Ed T

wrote in message
Then you may enjoy browsing this website:

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

I have a degree in Biology, the requirements for which included an
undergraduate course on evolution and extensive study in genetics. My hope
is not for people to know less about biology but to know more about the
history and philosophy of science to get a better understanding of its
nature and role vis a vis philosophy and religion.

Ed T.

Old May 30th 05, 11:47 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon

"David Nakamoto" wrote in

Well, National Geographic had egg in its face when it announced the
discovery of a fossil showing another link in the evolution between
dinosaurs or their ancestors and birds, then found the fossil was a
fake. I supposed it's the Smith's turn. They'll learn to regret this
decision.

--- Dave

National geographic is a popular magazine not a science journal. It's a
rather different category to the Smithsonian.

Klazmon.
Old May 31st 05, 03:47 AM
RichA

On Mon, 30 May 2005 03:14:01 GMT, "Ed T" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Smithsonian to Screen a Movie That Makes a Case Against Evolution

If "making a case" against a theory is all thats happening, it sounds
reasonable. The case made will rise or fall on its merits. I salute their
support of intellectual diversity. Science is a tool ill-suited for "The
Search for Purpose in the Universe" but people certainly are interested in
such things.

Ed T.

Creationalists wouldn't know "intellectual" diversity if it bit them.
-Rich
Old May 31st 05, 06:19 AM
David Nakamoto

Perhaps, but the actual museums are public presentations of both the Smith's
material and the history of both the US and the world, and as such are as much
"popular magazine" as the National Geographic.

--- Dave
Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by
The Mighty Light of ten thousand suns