TO THE JAPANESE SPACE AGENCY

Old December 9th 03, 11:44 PM
joshua

Default TO THE JAPANESE SPACE AGENCY

Dear brave scientists and technicians of the Japanese Space Agency,

You guys are the BEST!

You have my most heartfelt condolences on the loss of your Mars
mission.

Obviously, nothing I can say can mask the reality of the tragedy, but
let me just say that of all the different kinds of people I have met
in my life, it is the scientists who are most thoughtful and most
noble.

Keep your heads up. Keep looking forward. This world needs people like
you so very much.

Never let go of your dreams!! Sincerely,
-joshua
Old December 10th 03, 01:31 AM
Pat Flannery

joshua wrote:

Keep your heads up. Keep looking forward. This world needs people like
you so very much.

Never let go of your dreams!!

Thank Amaterasu that wasn't their attitude toward the Greater East Asia
Co-Prosperity Sphere after W.W. II; and that this was posted on Tuesday,
December 9th, as opposed to Sunday, December 7th.... the basic problem
with the Nozomi probe was that the mission was too ambitious; the
requirement that it insert itself into Martian orbit and then unfold
into a 200 foot high robot armed with a Katana made from
single-molecular metal was asking a bit much of a first interplanetary
probe... I think the plan to seed the Venusian clouds with giant moth
eggs shall fare much better.

Pat
The Mu Empire

Old December 10th 03, 02:22 PM
JimO

Joshua, are you into the 'phony self esteem is better than realism' school
of political correctness?

We can applaud imagination and innovation and ambition -- as well as the
ingenuity that made Nozomi the first human vehicle to make an
Earth-Mars-Earth round trip. A well-earned place of honor in the history of
human space exploration!

But space technology requires heartless realism rather than feel-good
self-delusion (which usually CAUSES more trouble).

It was not a tragedy. It was a failure.

They screwed up. I'm sorry they didn't measure up to what space requires,
because they wasted time and money.

Worse, they fibbed and lied about it.

We all wish they get their act together, not be discouraged, make the
required improvements, and keep trying.

As the bumper sticker says:

"God forgives,
Man forgives,
Nature never."

I like and admire scientists, but they had very little to do with this probe
or what happened to it.

JimO
www.jamesoberg.com

om...

Old December 10th 03, 02:39 PM
Pat Flannery

JimO wrote:

Joshua, are you into the 'phony self esteem is better than realism' school
of political correctness?

Little did James Oberg suspect that those strange intermittent ripples
in his coffee weren't due to a passing train, but rather the approach of
Mecha-Godzilla's titanium feet...soon he would learn a new respect for
the Japanese space program...or be incinerated.
But just then...in a nearby volcano...

Pat

Old December 10th 03, 06:26 PM
Derek Lyons

"JimO" wrote:

Worse, they fibbed and lied about it.

An act that acording to most only NASA indulges in.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old December 10th 03, 06:48 PM
Scott Hedrick

"JimO" wrote in message
It was not a tragedy. It was a failure.

I dunno. It hurts more being just so close to the end. For me, Mars Observer
hurt a lot more because it was so close to the end. I mourn Contour as well,
but not nearly as much as I would have had it died within days of the goal.

The Japs made a good effort of trying to rescue the probe. It sounds to me
like they found the solution, there just wasn't enough fuel left. Trying to
use it as an interplanetary probe is a better-than-nothing approach.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old December 11th 03, 03:13 PM
JimO

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Little did James Oberg suspect that those strange intermittent ripples
in his coffee weren't due to a passing train, but rather the approach of
Mecha-Godzilla's titanium feet...soon he would learn a new respect for
the Japanese space program...or be incinerated.
But just then...in a nearby volcano...

They gotta FIND me first, a la El Ararra, the 'prince with a thousand
enemies'.

"All the world will be your enemy,
and they will kill you when they catch you.
But first they must catch you."

Watership Down

Old December 11th 03, 03:15 PM
JimO

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in The Japs made a good effort
of trying to rescue the probe. It sounds to me
like they found the solution, there just wasn't enough fuel left. Trying

use it as an interplanetary probe is a better-than-nothing approach.
--

We'd all like to know more about this, of course. It looks like their
solution to nobody answering the door was to keep pushing the buzzer and

Old December 11th 03, 03:49 PM
Harald Kucharek

"JimO" wrote in message m...
[...]

Let's see what will happen to JIMO... ;-)
Old December 11th 03, 10:49 PM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:13:22 GMT, "JimO"
wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Little did James Oberg suspect that those strange intermittent ripples
in his coffee weren't due to a passing train, but rather the approach of
Mecha-Godzilla's titanium feet...soon he would learn a new respect for
the Japanese space program...or be incinerated.
But just then...in a nearby volcano...

They gotta FIND me first, a la El Ararra, the 'prince with a thousand
enemies'.

"All the world will be your enemy,
and they will kill you when they catch you.
But first they must catch you."

Watership Down

A visitor was reading sci.space.history over my shoulder and asked,
"Are they all like that?"

"No," I replied.

"Too bad," he said.

Mary