Falcon9/Dragon launch purchases

Old November 21st 07, 08:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jim Relsh

Default Falcon9/Dragon launch purchases

Has NASA purchased any Falcon9/Dragon manned launches yet? It now looks like
Falcon9/Dragon will be operational far before Ares/Orion so why not fill the
space gap with Dragon?

Old November 21st 07, 10:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Nov 21, 3:34 pm, "Jim Relsh" wrote:
Has NASA purchased any Falcon9/Dragon manned launches yet? It now looks like
Falcon9/Dragon will be operational far before Ares/Orion so why not fill the
space gap with Dragon?

Where does it say it will be operational. Spacex can't even launch a
Falcon 1 successfully. Spacex will have to demonstrate a capability
(whether it is ISS cargo, spacecraft delivery or manned capsule)
before NASA buys a service
Old November 21st 07, 11:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alex Terrell

On 21 Nov, 22:37, (Rand Simberg) wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:28:52 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way
as to indicate that:

On Nov 21, 3:34 pm, "Jim Relsh" wrote:
Has NASA purchased any Falcon9/Dragon manned launches yet? It now looks like
Falcon9/Dragon will be operational far before Ares/Orion so why not fill the
space gap with Dragon?

Where does it say it will be operational. Spacex can't even launch a
Falcon 1 successfully. Spacex will have to demonstrate a capability
(whether it is ISS cargo, spacecraft delivery or manned capsule)
before NASA buys a service

Their plan is to do so, long before Ares/Orion is ready. SpaceX has a
plan, NASA has a plan.

SpaceX seems some what ahead of Ares / Orion. More real hardware. They
also have a better concept. And their track record for cost management
is not as bad as NASA's.
Old November 21st 07, 11:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:21:09 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Alex Terrell made the phosphor on my monitor
[...]

Right.
Old November 22nd 07, 12:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Nov 21, 6:29 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
[...]

Hmm, 9 engines is a better concept? Maybe it is but I am skeptical.
Technically, How is Dragon a better concept?
Old November 22nd 07, 12:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Nov 21, 7:16 pm, wrote:
On Nov 21, 6:29 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:

[...]

I strongly support SpaceX but I see a lot of support here for what is
still vaporware at SpaceX while denigrating NASA. SpaceX still has
not successfully placed an unmanned satellite in orbit and people seem
to think they have manned rocket problems solved, I'd like to sell you
some Florida swampland.
Old November 22nd 07, 12:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:23:42 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

On Nov 21, 7:16 pm, wrote:
On Nov 21, 6:29 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:

[...]

But NASA's concept isn't "vaporware"?

Why the double standard? The Falcon I and Falcon 9 are both much less
"vaporware" than Ares 1.
Old November 22nd 07, 12:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Len[_2_]

On Nov 21, 7:16 pm, wrote:
On Nov 21, 6:29 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:

[...]

Saturn I had 8 engines. I understand one flight even
completed its mission successfully after losing an
engine.

If you insist on VTO, then I prefer 8 or more engines.
However, I am more comfortable with HTO, where
two engines are adequate for safe, engine-out abort
at liftoff.

Len

SpaceX Dragon are Policy 6 March 25th 07 12:19 PM
Space-X Dragon Jeff Findley Policy 46 February 19th 07 04:35 PM
Iran nuke plant finished -- NASA still restricted from Russian space purchases? Jim Oberg Policy 15 October 22nd 04 08:05 PM
Iran nuke plant finished -- NASA still restricted from Russian space purchases? Jim Oberg Space Station 13 October 22nd 04 08:05 PM
A 'Dragon' on the Surface of Titan Ron News 0 April 14th 04 07:27 PM