Hillary Clinton Declares War on....I TOLD YOU!

Old November 7th 07, 12:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
Jonathan

Default Hillary Clinton Declares War on....I TOLD YOU!

"Mark R. Whittington" wrote in message
oups.com...
Recently, Senator Hillary Clinton revealed her science agenda. Of
great interest to people involved in making and debating space policy
were the three bullets concerning the space program. To be brief and
to the point, Hillary's agenda would be terrible news for anyone who
supports space exploration and space commerce.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._on_space.html

What have I been telling you folks for a couple of years now?

"We just lost the moon"

That famous line from the movie we've all seen eleven times...
is no doubt echoing through the halls of NASA today.

The minute Bush leaves office the "Vision" will be erased from
official documents and memories like a good 'ol Stalinist purge.

Just like Space Solar Power seemed to dissappear almost
overnight once someone told Bush there's this govt agency
called NASA wanting to replace Texas crude with
solar power.

Old November 7th 07, 01:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
BradGuth

"Mark R. Whittington" wrote in ooglegroups.com... Recently, Senator Hillary Clinton revealed her science agenda. Of

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._clinton_decla...

What have I been telling you folks for a couple of years now?

"We just lost the moon"

That famous line from the movie we've all seen eleven times...
is no doubt echoing through the halls of NASA today.

The minute Bush leaves office the "Vision" will be erased from
official documents and memories like a good 'ol Stalinist purge.

Just like Space Solar Power seemed to dissappear almost
overnight once someone told Bush there's this govt agency
called NASA wanting to replace Texas crude with
solar power.

And here we'd thought their Rabbi Hitler was dead and gone. Go figure
that his Zion mutated DNA ended up in Texas.

What we need is a new and improved warlord that'll kick all sort of
butt before China/India takes full ownership of our moon, and
especially of the moon's L1.
- Brad Guth -

Old November 8th 07, 01:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
Revision

"Jonathan"
Just like Space Solar Power seemed to dissappear almost
overnight once someone told Bush there's this govt agency
called NASA wanting to replace Texas crude with
solar power.

Heh heh ... it is hard to find a bigger moron than Bush, but alas we have
a volunteer.

First, anyone who works in the oil business knows that oil is a depleting
asset, and anything that can slow the use of oil is welcome.

Second, though I would rather have a broomstick 25 cm up my ass than see
Hillary elected President, the fact remains than manned space has been an
enormous cash drain at the expense of unmanned science probes, so if it
is bad news for some that Hillary wants to move money from manned space
to science, it is good news for others.

Old November 8th 07, 01:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
Jonathan

"BradGuth" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Those L points, it may turn out to be an interesting fight someday
to see who gets them and how. How many satellites can fit
in one of those points? Will they get in each others way
or can many of them share the same area?

- Brad Guth -

Old November 8th 07, 02:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
Monte Davis Monte Davis is offline
Senior Member

"Revision" wrote:

the fact remains than manned space has been an
enormous cash drain at the expense of unmanned science probes

The situation is more complex and ambiguous than that. Space
scientists would very much like to see their slice of the pie
protected -- i.e., to avoid cancellation or delay of their missions
when manned programs run over budget, or when a new manned initiative
is projected to take a bigger fraction of NASA's total.

At the same time, most of them know that there's a hard-to-estimate
but undeniable "coattail" or "rising tide lifts all boats" effect:
ever since the 1957-1969 space race, it's been easier to get large
appropriations for space science *along with* larger appropriations
for sexy, high-visibility manned spaceflight than it would be to get
them on their own. Part of that is because some space science really
does prepare the way for manned activity; part of it is an ambiguity
built into our notions of "exploration"... and exploiting ambiguity is
a time-honored skill in getting money from Congress.

The idea of spinning off space science from NASA to a new or existing
science agency has been floated many times over the years, and space
scientists themselves are usually among the leading opponents. They
know that however much they may feel like poor Cinderella within NASA,
their budgets are decidedly Big Science by the standards of geology,
oceanography, astronomy, etc. If space science were competing on a
level playing field with those sciences in, e.g., the NSF review
process, it's doubtful it would get as much as it does now.
Old November 8th 07, 02:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
Fred J. McCall

"Revision" wrote:
:
:Second, though I would rather have a broomstick 25 cm up my ass than see
:Hillary elected President, the fact remains than manned space has been an
:enormous cash drain at the expense of unmanned science probes, so if it
:is bad news for some that Hillary wants to move money from manned space
:to science, it is good news for others.
:

Except that history indicates that that is not what happens. When
manned space gets cut, unmanned space gets cut, too. The money taken
from manned space doesn't go to unmanned space. It goes to public
housing or some such. It effectively disappears from 'space'
entirely. Then some of the money from unmanned space follows it out.

If you're a global warming evangelist you might do ok under Hillary.
If you're a planetary scientist she is going to be bad news for you.
If your interest is manned space flight she is going to be REALLY bad
news for you.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney
Old November 8th 07, 04:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
J. Clarke

Revision wrote:
"Jonathan"
Just like Space Solar Power seemed to dissappear almost
overnight once someone told Bush there's this govt agency
called NASA wanting to replace Texas crude with
solar power.

Heh heh ... it is hard to find a bigger moron than Bush, but alas we
have a volunteer.

First, anyone who works in the oil business knows that oil is a
depleting asset, and anything that can slow the use of oil is
welcome.

Second, though I would rather have a broomstick 25 cm up my ass than
see Hillary elected President, the fact remains than manned space
has
been an enormous cash drain at the expense of unmanned science
probes, so if it is bad news for some that Hillary wants to move
money from manned space to science, it is good news for others.

If she wants to move it into R&D I'm all for that. R&D is what's
going to ultimately get us a real space program. If NASA had put what
it's spent on the Shuttle in the last 30 years into R&D then we'd
likely have a moon base by now. What's needed is not "manned space at
all costs", what's needed is to get the costs of manned space down to
something sustainable.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old November 8th 07, 04:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
American

On Nov 8, 8:54 am, Fred J. McCall wrote:
If your interest is manned space flight she is going to be REALLY bad
news for you.

Most women prefer self righteousness over self worship,
and in terms of the lack of women in the engineering and
sciences, particularly in space exploration R&D, any new
exploration initiative is just another "perfunctory" process
in a "male dominated society" - so the "self-righteousness"
aspect, for most women, becomes engendered by
displacing what is perceived as a shortcoming in the math
and sciences, as the "Barak Obama" complex for the
"angry white male".

Yeah, possibly the wrongly spun media's bad, favoring
*communists* and the like, but who ever would assume
that this same political beast has an exit clause, just in
case the bottom should drop out? Intelligence just has
to be many times more *contagious* than ignorance.

The point is, Hillary has no other exit strategy for NASA,
other than Obama as her running mate. (Sounds like
the Fed still wants to be in charge of the inmates
running the asylum!)

The real ugly thing is that a bigger *Fed* (this time)
represents BOTH sides of the ticket (Reps & Dems)
for the same old scripted, "echoplex" of PAC'd
incumbentist "magnet" - same 'money', just a different
face on it.

Yep, it's that bad.

American

"Here's some real science for you: The internal com-
bustion engine became extinct about 75 years ago, but
Henry Ford won't tell you that because the big banker's
government cronys said screw Tesla, the Fed Notes can
squash anything - so we need Tesla's picture on a
hundred dollar bill. Why? Because the spirit of Benjamin
Franklin has been falsely represented by the oligarchies
that are supposed to represent the *spirit of invention*
that resides with future generations of "Ben Franklins"
- The same holds true with Washington, Jefferson,
Jackson, and Grant. They should be replaced by
Paul Revere, Edmund Burke, C.S. Lewis, and George
Orwell. Any other money is just "dirty capital".

(Part of July 08, 2007 post from "What's wrong with there
being ETs (smarter than us none the less)"

Old November 8th 07, 05:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
Glen Overby[_1_]

J. Clarke wrote:
If she wants to move it into R&D I'm all for that. R&D is what's
going to ultimately get us a real space program. If NASA had put what
it's spent on the Shuttle in the last 30 years into R&D then we'd
likely have a moon base by now. What's needed is not "manned space at
all costs", what's needed is to get the costs of manned space down to
something sustainable.

Just because you're putting money into "R&D" doesn't mean you're going to get
reduced costs of manned space flight. *UNLESS* The RND money is put into
research to reduce the cost of manned spaceflight.

There are a lot of other useful areas "R&D" money can be spent than on
reducing the cost.

Old November 8th 07, 08:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
BradGuth

On Nov 7, 4:38 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:

Those L points, it may turn out to be an interesting fight someday
to see who gets them and how. How many satellites can fit
in one of those points? Will they get in each others way
or can many of them share the same area?

The moon's L1 as best utilized for the robust LSE-CM/ISS (tethered
Clarke Station) is pretty much an all or nothing sort of L usage. The
moon's L2 might give some room for multiple LSEs(lunar space
elevators).

The moon's L1 is extremely easy and fly-by-rocket efficient to get to/
from, as well as being rather sufficiently station-keeping energy
efficient, especially once a basalt composite fiber tether gets
attached to the moon.
--
Brad Guth