LeoCondo, the...

Old November 1st 07, 05:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Craig Fink

Default LeoCondo, the...

....heck with Leo HighRise.

Exactly how many room are in a Bigelow Hotel?

Purchase Time Share;
750 / 50 / ?30? = $500,000. for your own week, once a year....

Purchase One owner;
750 / ?30? = $25 million

Yearly maintenance fee;
50/50/?30? = $33,000 per week
or
$1,700,000 per unit

Humm, looks doable. Anybody want to go in on a LeoCondo deal?

LeoCondo owners are responsible for their own transportation.
--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old November 1st 07, 07:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Joe Strout

In article ,
Craig Fink wrote:

...heck with Leo HighRise.

Exactly how many room are in a Bigelow Hotel?

Purchase Time Share;
750 / 50 / ?30? = $500,000. for your own week, once a year....

Purchase One owner;
750 / ?30? = $25 million

Yearly maintenance fee;
50/50/?30? = $33,000 per week
or
$1,700,000 per unit

Humm, looks doable. Anybody want to go in on a LeoCondo deal?

There might indeed be a market for such a time-share deal.

LeoCondo owners are responsible for their own transportation.

Do you at least get a parking space?

--
"Polywell" fusion -- an approach to nuclear fusion that might actually work.
Learn more and discuss via: http://www.strout.net/info/science/polywell/
Old November 1st 07, 11:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Nov 1, 9:27 am, Craig Fink wrote:
...heck with Leo HighRise.

Exactly how many room are in a Bigelow Hotel?

Purchase Time Share;
750 / 50 / ?30? = $500,000. for your own week, once a year....

Purchase One owner;
750 / ?30? = $25 million

Yearly maintenance fee;
50/50/?30? = $33,000 per week
or
$1,700,000 per unit

Humm, looks doable. Anybody want to go in on a LeoCondo deal?

LeoCondo owners are responsible for their own transportation.
--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

I think going from the ground up has certain LEO condo advantages,
although I really like the idea of those POOF City condos at Venus L2.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...903f21bbf5eeb0
LEO HighRise Agricultural, Industrial, Office and Condos (starting at
$1000/sf + 1% annual member fees)
- Brad Guth -

Old November 2nd 07, 01:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Craig Fink

Joe Strout wrote:

In article ,
Craig Fink wrote:

...heck with Leo HighRise.

Exactly how many room are in a Bigelow Hotel?

Purchase Time Share;
750 / 50 / ?30? = $500,000. for your own week, once a year....

Purchase One owner;
750 / ?30? = $25 million

Yearly maintenance fee;
50/50/?30? = $33,000 per week
or
$1,700,000 per unit

Humm, looks doable. Anybody want to go in on a LeoCondo deal?

There might indeed be a market for such a time-share deal.

LeoCondo owners are responsible for their own transportation.

Do you at least get a parking space?

Sure, outside parking only and your going to have to walk to the lobby, it's
extra for a space by the door.

For it to work, it would have to become some sort of status symbol for the
rich. Second home is in Orbit, might actually work. If it were attached to
ISS, then condo owners could rent out their space for storage. The
beginnings of an Environmentally Controlled Space market. Isn't one of the
European ISS modules just a storage module? Of course, someone might want
to own restaurant, bar, fitness center, Space Walk adventures...

Really, as a long term investment it actually might not be a bad investment
to just split up the habitable volume. It really hinges on cheap
transportation, as it has for a long time. The LEO market will explode
when that happens. The chicken or the egg? A place to go, or how to get
there?

I wonder if the LeoCondo association could be structured as more than just
Condos, more like an investment, with an IPO to pay for the initial
Station. Each share in the association, or company could come with a
certain volume of space, and the freedom to use that space within reason,
combining volume to the level of a room, or restaurant. I sure like how
Google did their IPO, auction style, cutting out the middle men who suck
off a lot of money during offerings. To me, if you buy an IPO stock, I want
every bit of the investment going to the company, not some money manager
sucking of a large percentage. Buying a Bigelow Hotel with plans of
developing LEO markets (a LEO exchange) for "stuff", really doesn't sound
like that bad an investment. That is, if Government Space Agencies didn't
have to invent, build, and run everything themselves.

Even just collecting trash, has some value in space. Once there is a pile of
trash big enough, someone will want to process it and use the raw
materials.

I wonder, is Bigelow's Hotel is infinitely expandable? Just keep adding?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old November 2nd 07, 01:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy
dott.Piergiorgio[_2_]

Craig Fink ha scritto:

I wonder, is Bigelow's Hotel is infinitely expandable? Just keep adding?

I think not, because more space means also more external surface (also
because of the more surface of solar panels needed for the grater energy
consimption; and this will aument the atmospheric drag so will have a
increased tendency to decay; the ISS tend to decay 2.5 Km. per month, so
there will be a finite limit to the espandibility of the BA 330 space hotel.

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.
Old November 2nd 07, 02:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Craig Fink

dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

Craig Fink ha scritto:

I wonder, is Bigelow's Hotel is infinitely expandable? Just keep adding?

I think not, because more space means also more external surface (also
because of the more surface of solar panels needed for the grater energy
consimption; and this will aument the atmospheric drag so will have a
increased tendency to decay; the ISS tend to decay 2.5 Km. per month, so
there will be a finite limit to the espandibility of the BA 330 space
hotel.

He's still developing, atmospheric drag is a function of altitude, and
building along the velocity vector also reduces drag, a wake shield. Once
he gets his first Hotel in Orbit, I'm sure he'll continue worrying about
cost to increase profits. The opposite of what government run programs tend
to end up doing, increasing costs tend to increase profits for contractors.

Look at how governments do thing as compared to Private Enterprise might,
it's just amazing to me. On ISS, they are currently turning Water into O2,
and non-propulsively dumping hydrogen. Also, turning O2 into CO2 and
non-propulsively dumping CO2. They probably have or will have a significant
amount of excess power from the solar cells. But somehow, it's too
expensive to propulsively dump the H2 and CO2, while bringing fuel to orbit
for reboost isn't. I have a hard time believing that there is a trade study
showing that this is advantageous. Expedient, short term, maybe.

I wonder what the average solar power utilization is for ISS? 100%?

Optimally, propulsively dumping H2 and CO2 at the rate of drag improves the
low gravity environment and gives the station another way to control the
attitude. A slow propulsive dump can add moments at the same rate they
occur, making the gyros a backup feature, with fuel/oxidizer attitude
control third in line. Really, moving the Solar cells, using them as Sails,
would add another attitude control layer within power collection
constraints.

It's easy to imagine that reboosting will be an insignificant problem for a
correctly designed Space Hotel, Town or City.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old November 2nd 07, 04:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"dott.Piergiorgio" wrote in
message ...
Craig Fink ha scritto:

I wonder, is Bigelow's Hotel is infinitely expandable? Just keep adding?

I think not, because more space means also more external surface (also
because of the more surface of solar panels needed for the grater energy
consimption; and this will aument the atmospheric drag so will have a
increased tendency to decay; the ISS tend to decay 2.5 Km. per month, so
there will be a finite limit to the espandibility of the BA 330 space
hotel.

Keep in mind though that as Craig says, orientation matters as well does
density.

(This is one area where I suspect something like the Bigelow design loses
on, lower density than a "can" design like the ISS.)

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old November 2nd 07, 05:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Joe Strout

In article ,
Craig Fink wrote:

It's easy to imagine that reboosting will be an insignificant problem for a
correctly designed Space Hotel, Town or City.

I agree. In addition to the measures you mentioned, I suspect that
electrodynamic tethers will prove very useful for this purpose. A slow,
steady, highly controllable pull upward, needing no reaction mass at
all, is hard to beat.

Best,
- Joe

Old November 2nd 07, 05:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Craig Fink

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

"dott.Piergiorgio" wrote in
message ...
Craig Fink ha scritto:

I wonder, is Bigelow's Hotel is infinitely expandable? Just keep adding?

I think not, because more space means also more external surface (also
because of the more surface of solar panels needed for the grater energy
consimption; and this will aument the atmospheric drag so will have a
increased tendency to decay; the ISS tend to decay 2.5 Km. per month, so
there will be a finite limit to the espandibility of the BA 330 space
hotel.

Keep in mind though that as Craig says, orientation matters as well does
density.

(This is one area where I suspect something like the Bigelow design loses
on, lower density than a "can" design like the ISS.)

Volume is what is being sold in a LeoCondo, the more you have, the more you
can sell. Volume is drag, deal with it. Personally, I don't see where
counter acting drag is a problem, it can be counteracted with any mass
being thrown out the back end, essentially deorbiting the mass. As long as
people are coming and going to the LeoCondo, the cheapest mass accelerator
should be able to keep up with drag. Eventually, no mass, an electric motor
and the Earth's magnetic field.

Trash mass is important for reboost, for a while anyway.

Recurring costs would be important to LeoCondo owners. It is to me anyway.
LeoCondo owners, like me (technically a want-to-be), would want a cheap
mass accelerator to keep the LeoCondo in a clean Orbit and minimize
recurring costs. That's probably a separate purchase, or supply your own
kind of deal, I don't know what the Mr. Bigelow's offer includes.

Transportation, Food, Water, Air not included, bring your own, use what you
want, and sell the rest. Or, just buy some from one of the retail shops
when you get there.

Any other want-to-be LeoCondo owners out there?

Is it worth investing in yet?

What should the minimum unit be? A cubic centimeter of volume, so almost
anyone could afford to participate?
Old November 2nd 07, 05:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Craig Fink

Joe Strout wrote:

In article ,
Craig Fink wrote:

It's easy to imagine that reboosting will be an insignificant problem for
a correctly designed Space Hotel, Town or City.

I agree. In addition to the measures you mentioned, I suspect that
electrodynamic tethers will prove very useful for this purpose. A slow,
steady, highly controllable pull upward, needing no reaction mass at
all, is hard to beat.

I agree, I would think that eventually trash will be more valuable than
reaction mass, when recycling becomes viable in LEO.