Falcon9/Dragon launch purchases

Old November 24th 07, 08:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Falcon9/Dragon launch purchases

On Nov 24, 2:04 pm, kT wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 24, 11:44 am, kT wrote:
wrote:

..1. Your vanity is why NASA has gotten into so much
trouble. I, on the other, do not suffer from vanity, as I am committed
to cryogenic human space flight, and

2. I know of no theoretical or
engineering barriers to cryogenic spaceflight, and a very fine vehicle
and another very fine engine already exists for me to accomplish it.

1. Vanity? Look in the mirror. You reek of it. You are more full
of yourself to think you have the answer to everything. Your "know it
all" attitude is indicative of those who know nothing about what they
preach

2. You aren't proposing "cryogenic spaceflight" for one, it already
exists. Using an SSME as upperstage engine shows that you know
nothing about what you are talking about
Old November 24th 07, 09:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Nov 24, 2:04 pm, kT wrote:

You argue here as well as you do
over at NSF, not at all.

I guess you are too afraid to put your ideas on NSF because
1. they won't hold up to scrutiny
2. your abusive and classless attitude won't be tolerated
So you rather hang around in usenet where you don't have to conduct
yourself in a respectful manner and where you can make baseless claims
without backing them up

Old November 25th 07, 05:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

wrote:

:On Nov 21, 6:29 pm, (Rand Simberg)
:wrote:
: On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:21:09 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
: Alex Terrell made the phosphor on my monitor
: glow in such a way as to indicate that:
:
:
:
: On 21 Nov, 22:37, (Rand Simberg) wrote:
: On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:28:52 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
: made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way
: as to indicate that:
:
: On Nov 21, 3:34 pm, "Jim Relsh" wrote:
: Has NASA purchased any Falcon9/Dragon manned launches yet? It now looks like
: Falcon9/Dragon will be operational far before Ares/Orion so why not fill the
: space gap with Dragon?
:
: --
: Posted via a free Usenet account fromhttp://www.teranews.com
:
: Where does it say it will be operational. Spacex can't even launch a
: Falcon 1 successfully. Spacex will have to demonstrate a capability
: (whether it is ISS cargo, spacecraft delivery or manned capsule)
: before NASA buys a service
:
: Their plan is to do so, long before Ares/Orion is ready. SpaceX has a
: plan, NASA has a plan.
:
: SpaceX seems some what ahead of Ares / Orion. More real hardware. They
: also have a better concept. And their track record for cost management
: is not as bad as NASA's.
:
: Right.
:
:Hmm, 9 engines is a better concept? Maybe it is but I am skeptical.
:Technically, How is Dragon a better concept?
:

It doesn't strap the space vehicle to big sticks of explosives for
liftoff. It uses all liquid engines, which means it is more fault
tolerant, less prone to near-instantaneous catastrophic failure, and
has a gentler and more controllable thrust profile.

So why are you skeptical, again?

--George Bernard Shaw
Old November 25th 07, 04:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Len[_2_]

On Nov 25, 12:19 am, Fred J. McCall wrote:
wrote:

:On Nov 21, 6:29 pm, (Rand Simberg)
:wrote:
[...]

Now here is a point I can agree with you
100 percent, Fred.

Len

Old November 25th 07, 05:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Nov 25, 12:00 am, Fred J. McCall wrote:
wrote:

:On Nov 21, 3:34 pm, "Jim Relsh" wrote:
: Has NASA purchased any Falcon9/Dragon manned launches yet? It now looks like
: Falcon9/Dragon will be operational far before Ares/Orion so why not fill the
: space gap with Dragon?
:
:
:Where does it say it will be operational. Spacex can't even launch a
:Falcon 1 successfully. Spacex will have to demonstrate a capability
whether it is ISS cargo, spacecraft delivery or manned capsule)
:before NASA buys a service
:

Well, not so much, no.

SpaceX got a contract last year to demonstrate cargo supply and return
to ISS with Falcon 9. The contract is for 3 cargo flights in 2009,
with an option to extend the contract to crew replacement.

No, Spacex receive no "contract" for ISS logistics They have a Space
Act agreement with NASA to demonstrate the ability to deliver cargo to
the ISS. The first two flights don't even go to the ISS. Spacex is
paid incrementally for each milestone it achieves. As for the crew
replacement, again, it is only for demonstrations and it is highly
unlikely the option will be exercised
The real contract for ISS logistics will be competed next year

SpaceX Dragon are Policy 6 March 25th 07 12:19 PM
Space-X Dragon Jeff Findley Policy 46 February 19th 07 04:35 PM
Iran nuke plant finished -- NASA still restricted from Russian space purchases? Jim Oberg Policy 15 October 22nd 04 08:05 PM
Iran nuke plant finished -- NASA still restricted from Russian space purchases? Jim Oberg Space Station 13 October 22nd 04 08:05 PM
A 'Dragon' on the Surface of Titan Ron News 0 April 14th 04 07:27 PM