HDTV movie of Moon

Old November 7th 07, 08:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jim Relsh

Default HDTV movie of Moon

http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2007/11/200...a_movie_e.html

Japanese HDTV camera on board a moon-orbitiing probe has sent video material
back to Earth.

HDTV camera's should be standard issue on all spacecraft!! These pictures
are simply gorgeous and we're not even seeing it in true HDTV. I can't wait
until HDTV video pictures of Mars are sent back to Earth or when astronauts
land on the Moon in 2018. Should be breathtaking compared to the grainy
pictures of Apollo, almost like being there yourself.

Old November 7th 07, 09:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
gaetanomarano

Location: Italy

..

not the same quality (I've not the JAXA funds...) but look at this
small SCI-FI clip about the Moon:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L8UcgSOo-HY

..

Old November 7th 07, 09:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Joe Strout

In article ,
"Jim Relsh" wrote:

http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2007/11/200...a_movie_e.html

Japanese HDTV camera on board a moon-orbitiing probe has sent video material
back to Earth.

HDTV camera's should be standard issue on all spacecraft!! These pictures
are simply gorgeous and we're not even seeing it in true HDTV. I can't wait
until HDTV video pictures of Mars are sent back to Earth or when astronauts
land on the Moon in 2018. Should be breathtaking compared to the grainy
pictures of Apollo, almost like being there yourself.

I agree, though I don't think you need to wait for Apollo 2.0 -- the
Google Lunar X-Prize should get us some on-the-ground HDTV footage
within the next five years. See http://www.googlelunarxprize.com/ for
more info.

Best,
- Joe

--
"Polywell" fusion -- an approach to nuclear fusion that might actually work.
Learn more and discuss via: http://www.strout.net/info/science/polywell/
Old November 8th 07, 01:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Nov 7, 12:14 pm, "Jim Relsh" wrote:
http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2007/11/200...a_movie_e.html

Japanese HDTV camera on board a moon-orbitiing probe has sent video material
back to Earth.

HDTV camera's should be standard issue on all spacecraft!! These pictures
are simply gorgeous and we're not even seeing it in true HDTV. I can't wait
until HDTV video pictures of Mars are sent back to Earth or when astronauts
land on the Moon in 2018. Should be breathtaking compared to the grainy
pictures of Apollo, almost like being there yourself.

Why did they turn off the color? (just because of the terrific UV and
violet saturation?)
--
Brad Guth

Old November 8th 07, 01:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Jim Relsh" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2007/11/200...a_movie_e.html

Japanese HDTV camera on board a moon-orbitiing probe has sent video
material back to Earth.

HDTV camera's should be standard issue on all spacecraft!!

Sure, you tell the scientists they have to give up mass for that, or more
importantly power and bandwidth.

Pretty pictures are nice, but most probes want more than just pictures.

These pictures are simply gorgeous and we're not even seeing it in true
HDTV. I can't wait until HDTV video pictures of Mars are sent back to
Earth or when astronauts land on the Moon in 2018. Should be breathtaking
compared to the grainy pictures of Apollo, almost like being there
yourself.

Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!
Email: sql (at) greenms.com http://www.greenms.com/sqlserver.html

Old November 10th 07, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Nov 8, 12:39 pm, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:
"Jim Relsh" wrote in message

.. .

http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2007/11/200...a_movie_e.html

Japanese HDTV camera on board a moon-orbitiing probe has sent video
material back to Earth.

HDTV camera's should be standard issue on all spacecraft!!

Sure, you tell the scientists they have to give up mass for that, or more
importantly power and bandwidth.

Pretty pictures are nice, but most probes want more than just pictures.

These pictures are simply gorgeous and we're not even seeing it in true
HDTV. I can't wait until HDTV video pictures of Mars are sent back to
Earth or when astronauts land on the Moon in 2018. Should be breathtaking
compared to the grainy pictures of Apollo, almost like being there
yourself.

Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!
Email: sql (at) greenms.com http://www.greenms.com/sqlserver.html

I can buy an HDTV camera that fits in a chewing gum package and a 200
GB memory stick to match it. If you're sending people, each person
could have multiple HDTV cameras and the memory built in to transmit
at your leisure - and power - and it would fall in the noise of the
budget, the power and the mass of other systems.

Old November 11th 07, 05:40 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Nov 10, 3:35 pm, wrote:

I can buy an HDTV camera that fits in a chewing gum package and a 200
GB memory stick to match it. If you're sending people, each person
could have multiple HDTV cameras and the memory built in to transmit
at your leisure - and power - and it would fall in the noise of the
budget, the power and the mass of other systems.

Your little and energy efficient HDTV cameras of a terrestrial
application will also need to incorporate one hell of a good and
narrow spectrum bandpass filter, so that images of our naked moon
that's so freaking damn hot by day, so terribly cold by night and
otherwise saturated in gamma, X-rays and loads of raw solar UV will
not CCD record those images as looking so unusually bluish and
otherwise violet color skewed. (imagine how terribly color skewed
those unfiltered Kodak moments should have been for our Apollo
missions that supposedly took those EVAs upon our moon)
--
Brad Guth