Will China Beat the United States Back to the Moon?

Old November 6th 07, 01:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Mark R. Whittington

Default Will China Beat the United States Back to the Moon?

Recently, during an address on the space economy to coincide with the
fiftieth anniversary of the start of the space age, NASA Administrator
Michael Griffin made the assertion that China would beat the United
States to the Moon.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ates_back.html

Old November 6th 07, 08:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 13:14:59 -0700, in a place far, far away, Joe
Strout made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

In article ,
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

Why would anyone care if the Chinese beat the US back to the moon?

Because they might believe that whoever next reaches the Moon will
become the primary superpower, both because they are perceived as
technological superior by other nations and because they will, by
necessity, have an actual technological edge that could be turned to
advantage in other industries; and because they may feel that, for
whatever reason, they would rather see the predominant culture of the
solar system be derived from American values and traditions than Chinese
ones.

And then again, if they have any sense, they might not.
Old November 6th 07, 08:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jim Relsh

"Mark R. Whittington" wrote in message
ps.com...
Recently, during an address on the space economy to coincide with the
fiftieth anniversary of the start of the space age, NASA Administrator
Michael Griffin made the assertion that China would beat the United
States to the Moon.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ates_back.html

Highly unlikely. I have to say that I'm impressed with the Chinese progress
so far but they have no clue how to land a man on the Moon and bring him
back safely. The U.S. does have experience doing this and merely has to
(cheaply) recreate what it has done already.

But for the record, I wish the Chinese the best of luck. Their space
endeavours are the best thing that could have happened to kickstart the U.S.
space program.

Old November 6th 07, 09:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Jim Relsh" wrote in message
Highly unlikely. I have to say that I'm impressed with the Chinese
progress so far but they have no clue how to land a man on the Moon and
bring him back safely. The U.S. does have experience doing this and merely
has to (cheaply) recreate what it has done already.

NASA is failing miserably when it comes to the "cheaply" part.

But for the record, I wish the Chinese the best of luck. Their space
endeavours are the best thing that could have happened to kickstart the
U.S. space program.

Why would anyone care if the Chinese beat the US back to the moon?

Jeff
--
"When transportation is cheap, frequent, reliable, and flexible,
everything else becomes easier."

Old November 6th 07, 09:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Joe Strout

In article ,
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

Why would anyone care if the Chinese beat the US back to the moon?

Because they might believe that whoever next reaches the Moon will
become the primary superpower, both because they are perceived as
technological superior by other nations and because they will, by
necessity, have an actual technological edge that could be turned to
advantage in other industries; and because they may feel that, for
whatever reason, they would rather see the predominant culture of the
solar system be derived from American values and traditions than Chinese
ones.

--
"Polywell" fusion -- an approach to nuclear fusion that might actually work.
Learn more and discuss via: http://www.strout.net/info/science/polywell/
Old November 6th 07, 09:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Nov 6, 12:05 pm, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:
"Jim Relsh" wrote in message

Highly unlikely. I have to say that I'm impressed with the Chinese
progress so far but they have no clue how to land a man on the Moon and
bring him back safely. The U.S. does have experience doing this and merely
has to (cheaply) recreate what it has done already.

NASA is failing miserably when it comes to the "cheaply" part.

But for the record, I wish the Chinese the best of luck. Their space
endeavours are the best thing that could have happened to kickstart the
U.S. space program.

Why would anyone care if the Chinese beat the US back to the moon?

Because it would be for the very first time that any such robotics
kicked moon dust butt, and survived long enough as to report back with
some really nifty science about our physically dark mascon that's so
terribly anticathode reactive and even somewhat of a salty old moon (a
whole lot more salty than Mars).
- Brad Guth -

Old November 6th 07, 09:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Nov 6, 4:27 am, "Mark R. Whittington"
wrote:
Recently, during an address on the space economy to coincide with the
fiftieth anniversary of the start of the space age, NASA Administrator
Michael Griffin made the assertion that China would beat the United
States to the Moon.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ina_beat_the_u...

Will China Beat the United States Back to the Moon?

Of course they will, except with using those robust robotic androids.
China isn't exactly stupid or much less snookered and dumbfounded past
the point of no return, you know.
- Brad Guth -

Old November 6th 07, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

wrote:
Recently, during an address on the space economy to coincide with the
fiftieth anniversary of the start of the space age, NASA Administrator
Michael Griffin made the assertion that China would beat the United
States to the Moon.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ina_beat_the_u...

Hmmmm, usenet is right back down to its CPU knees once again. I
wonder why?

Will China Beat the United States Back to the Moon?

Why don't be silly, of course they will, except more like being of the
very first time, and with using those robust robotic androids that are
rad-hard enough. China isn't exactly stupid or much less snookered
and/or dumbfounded past the point of no return, you know, and to think
that they don't even have any team of smart Third Reich Yids for
getting those robotics safely onto the moon.

On our side of the fly-by-rocket pond, the Ares 1 SRB supposedly burns
off its propellant at an average rate of 10,319 lbs per sec.

Ares 1 weight to thrust T/W
At liftoff. 2,036klb 3600klbs 1.72
40 sec 1623 klb 3000klb 1.85
120 sec 798 klb 2000klb 2.51

I'd have to agree that an ISS delivery at perhaps a 42:1 ratio of
rocket per payload is technically doable with some spare fuel and a
little extra payload to work with.

However, what's the fly-by-rocket stats as for an ISS to moon effort
going to take (including the establishing of their 100 km worth of
circular lunar orbit)?
- Brad Guth -

Old November 7th 07, 09:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

wrote:
Recently, during an address on the space economy to coincide with the
fiftieth anniversary of the start of the space age, NASA Administrator
Michael Griffin made the assertion that China would beat the United
States to the Moon.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ina_beat_the_u...

Will China Beat the United States Back to the Moon?

Of course they will, except with robust android like robotics that are
rad-hard and otherwise electrostatic charged dust proof. After all,
China isn't snookered nor half as dumbfounded as are most Americans
and so many other NASA/Apollo brown-nosed lovers.
- Brad Guth -

Old November 7th 07, 10:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
gaetanomarano

Location: Italy

On 6 Nov, 13:27, "Mark R. Whittington" wrote:
Recently, during an address on the space economy to coincide with the
fiftieth anniversary of the start of the space age, NASA Administrator
Michael Griffin made the assertion that China would beat the United
States to the Moon.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ina_beat_the_u...

this is the third time (after a Congress audition and an university
speech) that Mr. Griffin says that

I think it's right... China will win the new ("commercial", not
"military" like in '60s) "moon race"

some thinks he repeat this "alarm" to force the politics to give more
funds to NASA and more quickly

but, unfortunately for NASA and USA (and also for Europe and Russia)
China will win the race since:

1. the russian hardware is too old and they don't invest enough money
to renew it

2. the european efforts for (orbital and lunar) manned flights (with
european vehicles) is nearly ZERO

3. only USA has enough money to go back on the moon, but the NASA
plans and strategy is too much SLOW and COMPLEX

..