Dual Use? Gyromouse?( Segway Parts)

Old July 23rd 06, 09:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

Default Dual Use? Gyromouse?( Segway Parts)

What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?

I would think all the mice running around the space station are gyromice?

* Pick it up and it moves the the pointer on the closest screen.

* Set it down and it's data is available for Navigation to determine
attitude (position,rates,acceleration)

* Battery powered

* No wires

What kind of redundancy (2*Number_of_Mice/3) would that give you?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

--

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 04:58:56 +0000, John Schutkeker wrote:

wrote in news:1153519065.934769.144540
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I believe British Aerospace Systems & Equipment makes there gyroscopes.

Builds the assemblies,
http://baesystems.com/newsroom/2002/jul/220702news7.htm

Joint venture
http://www.siliconsensing.com/

John Schutkeker wrote:
Who's the gyroscope supplier for Segway?

Is that the best deal for the money?

lol, depends, what are you going to use it for?

http://www.newark.com/NewarkWebComme...0+2953&Ne=1000
http://www.newark.com/NewarkWebComme... 9881,93C9882
Tolerance 1.5 deg/sec

The Gyromouse is cheaper, wireless, and hooks right up to your computer.
http://www.gyration.com/en-US/GyroTech.html
Noise .18 deg/sec

Old July 23rd 06, 10:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:34:33 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:

What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?

Tri Use?

I would think all the mice running around the space station are gyromice?

* Pick it up and it moves the the pointer on the closest screen.

* Set it down and it's data is available for Navigation to determine
attitude (position,rates,acceleration)

* Attach the mouse to the sleeve of your space suit for pitch and yaw Nav
http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/3839
Every space tourist has his laptop with him. Can I bring my own space suit?

Old July 23rd 06, 10:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Ian Stirling

In sci.space.station Craig Fink wrote:

What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?

I would think all the mice running around the space station are gyromice?

* Pick it up and it moves the the pointer on the closest screen.

* Set it down and it's data is available for Navigation to determine
attitude (position,rates,acceleration)

snip
What kind of redundancy (2*Number_of_Mice/3) would that give you?

Almost irrelevant.
The gyros in these things are horribly noisy.
Old July 23rd 06, 10:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:25:12 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

In sci.space.station Craig Fink wrote:

What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?

I would think all the mice running around the space station are gyromice?

* Pick it up and it moves the the pointer on the closest screen.

* Set it down and it's data is available for Navigation to determine
attitude (position,rates,acceleration)

snip
What kind of redundancy (2*Number_of_Mice/3) would that give you?

Almost irrelevant.
The gyros in these things are horribly noisy.

You mean the curse jumps all over the screen?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old July 23rd 06, 10:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:38:38 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:25:12 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

In sci.space.station Craig Fink wrote:

What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?

I would think all the mice running around the space station are gyromice?

* Pick it up and it moves the the pointer on the closest screen.

* Set it down and it's data is available for Navigation to determine
attitude (position,rates,acceleration)

snip
What kind of redundancy (2*Number_of_Mice/3) would that give you?

Almost irrelevant.
The gyros in these things are horribly noisy.

You mean the curser jumps all over the screen?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old July 23rd 06, 10:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:39:28 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:38:38 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:25:12 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

In sci.space.station Craig Fink wrote:

What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?

I would think all the mice running around the space station are gyromice?

* Pick it up and it moves the the pointer on the closest screen.

* Set it down and it's data is available for Navigation to determine
attitude (position,rates,acceleration)
snip
What kind of redundancy (2*Number_of_Mice/3) would that give you?

Almost irrelevant.
The gyros in these things are horribly noisy.

You mean the curser jumps all over the screen?

That hasn't been my experiance. It was very steady and I had plenty of
control over the curser.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old July 24th 06, 08:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Norman Silverstone

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:34:33 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:

What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?

I realise that this is only a slip of the finger but, imagine those
rodents with pistols at dawn or running around waving their rapiers. What
a thought!

I would think all the mice running around the space station are
gyromice?

Snip

Norman Silverstone
Old July 24th 06, 01:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:58:34 +0100, Norman Silverstone wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:34:33 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:

What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?

I realise that this is only a slip of the finger but, imagine those
rodents with pistols at dawn or running around waving their rapiers.
What a thought!

I would think all the mice running around the space station are
gyromice?

lol, in the traditional sense, gyros are definitely on the list of dual
use items that give control freaks nightmares. Problem is they are so
useful everywhere in society, they are showing up everywhere. People don't
want their cursors running around on the screen by themselves. Or, segways
falling over. Or, car anti roll logic kicking in at the wrong time.

But, in the none traditional meaning, dual use, or tri use of something
like gyromice make a lot of sense when it comes to something like a space
station. Redundancy should not attained by putting two, three or four of
every sensor onboard. But should come from using various sensors in
multiple ways. If they have ten gyromice onboard because they need laptops
all over the place, there is nothing wrong with using them in the
redundancy of the Nav system when they aren't being used to control
cursors.

There was a recent movie with a huge megaton, city size, vehicle
reentering and coming in for a landing. It was under attack, and over half
the vehicle gets blown away, but the remaining part stays under control
and makes a safe landing in the middle of a city. To me that was a great
example of what a massively redundant vehicle should be able to do. Use
whatever is still there and still working to complete it's mission.

When you look around something like a space station, you can see all kinds
of things that could have dual uses to create massive redundancy. Another
example might be a camera on the outside of the vehicle. Normally used for
looking at the earth or parts of the space station. But, when not being
used for it's primary function, could be used by GN&C for position,
attitude, rates and acceleration determination.

Continuing along the space station line, control can be a massively
redundant system too. Not through having three, four of five of
everything, but through looking around at all the things that it has that
can already be controlled, and can have a dual use. The gravity gradient
torques, the solar panels/atmospheric lift and drag, the radiators,
thrusters/momentum gyros on visiting vehicles, momentum gyros, magnetic
torquers, propulsive venting of waste gases. I can see where something
like a large space station might not even have a formal dedicated control
system of it own, but uses all the parts it has in a dual fashion to
accomplish the task.

To a great extent this concept could be used by the visiting vehicles too.
Instead of three sets of thrusters, only have one. Add one set of momentum
gyros, a set of magnetic torquers, one fuel cell, batteries, and a solar
panel. One of everything to get redundancy of all.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old July 24th 06, 01:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Fred J. McCall

Norman Silverstone wrote:

:On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:34:33 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:
:
:
: What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?
:
:I realise that this is only a slip of the finger but, imagine those
:rodents with pistols at dawn or running around waving their rapiers. What
:a thought!
:
: I would think all the mice running around the space station are
: gyromice?

They should all have little rocket pistols. Then they could be
GyroJetMice...

--George Bernard Shaw
Old July 24th 06, 01:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:14:34 +0000, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Norman Silverstone wrote:

:On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:34:33 +0000, Craig Fink wrote:
:
:
: What is the meaning of "Duel Use"?
:
:I realise that this is only a slip of the finger but, imagine those
:rodents with pistols at dawn or running around waving their rapiers. What
:a thought!
:
: I would think all the mice running around the space station are
: gyromice?

They should all have little rocket pistols. Then they could be
GyroJetMice...

lol, or little propellers, and the mouse follows you around staying within
reach.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

Spacecraft Doppler&Light Speed Extrapolation ralph sansbury Astronomy Misc 91 August 1st 13 01:32 PM
Segway Parts John Schutkeker Policy 57 August 7th 06 11:54 PM
act of kindness for the new year and in honor of Columbia PLS. BUY COLUMBIA PARTS AND COLUMBIA BODY PARTS OFF THE INTERNET NikaMS1 History 17 January 6th 05 08:48 AM
Astronomical Observations - Parts 1 & 2 Fact Finder Astronomy Misc 3 August 25th 03 03:52 PM
Astronomical Observations - Parts 1 & 2 Fact Finder Amateur Astronomy 5 August 25th 03 03:52 PM