FGB-2 ready for launch?!

Old September 29th 04, 11:22 PM
Brian Thorn

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:04:30 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

Where's the US solar dynamic power system? Where's the
US orbital hangar? Where are the US solar power satellites? Where's the US
moon base? Where's the US Mars lander?

Were any of these things ever actually promised?

When in the hell are we ever going to leave LEO again?

May, 2005 is my bet.

Brian
Old September 29th 04, 11:46 PM
Derek Lyons

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

Difference is, most of us are cynical to not believe NASA. But many still
want to believe the Russians.

Not anyone who has studied the Russians and their problems over the
years.

The same folks willing to gush over Russian viewgraphs are
by-and-large the same folk who keep telling us we should ground the
Shuttle, scrap the US ISS modules, and rely entirely on Soyuz,
Progress, and reworked MIR designs. Their absence is noteable after
announcements of pyro failures and piping and leaky life support
systems. (Except for the new breed who handwave the problems and
claim they are all 'exaggerated media hype', in contravention of
available evidence.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old September 29th 04, 11:48 PM
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

The only difference is that anyone with cash can get the Russian manned
space program to do just about anything because they are so strapped for
cash.

Some call this capitalism, some call it prostitution.

(Henry S. has on several occasions posted of the Russians willingness
to waive safety regulations for suitable compensation.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old September 29th 04, 11:57 PM
bob haller

When in the hell are we ever going to leave LEO again?

Jeff

not untill ISS shuttle programs have ended
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old September 30th 04, 12:03 AM
bob haller

I really do believe that private manned spaceflight will "take off", but it
will be for "millionaires only" for decades to come...

Jeff

A millionaire could be a national hero!

Mr wealthy wants to take a trip to ISS. He buys a Soyuz for say 60 million and
owns the entire thing.

now he could use it to take himself and a lottery tourist to ISS/

Or keep the extra soyuz around for a dire emergency. trading the extra capsule
for a ride on a current one...

this would give us a spare soyuz at the ready for a emergenmcy
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old September 30th 04, 12:05 AM
bob haller

When in the hell are we ever going to leave LEO again?

May, 2005 is my bet.

Brian

what???
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old September 30th 04, 03:01 PM
Jeff Findley

news
wrote:

Where's the US solar dynamic power system? Where's the
US orbital hangar? Where are the US solar power satellites? Where's the

US
moon base? Where's the US Mars lander?

Were any of these things ever actually promised?

Clearly, I was going in order of "more likely to fly" to "less likely to
fly".

As for the US solar dynamic power system, quite a bit of work was done on
this. There were two competing designs by two different contractors. I
work with someone who worked on the rigid, deployable design (there was also
an inflatable design). Just like the FGB-2, all they needed was more money
to finish the design and fly it. Instead, we're stuck with solar arrays
that will degrade and batteries that will need periodic replacement. Solar
dynamic power had the potential to address both those issues.

Clearly, the rest of the list was more "viewgraphs" than actual development.

When in the hell are we ever going to leave LEO again?

May, 2005 is my bet.

I should choose my words more carefully around here.

When in the hell are we ever going to send someone beyond LEO again? It's
been well over 30 years since we've done this.

Jeff

Old September 30th 04, 03:03 PM
Jeff Findley

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

(Henry S. has on several occasions posted of the Russians willingness
to waive safety regulations for suitable compensation.)

I say let the person paying the bills take the risk.

Jeff

Old September 30th 04, 07:07 PM
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

When in the hell are we ever going to send someone beyond LEO again? It's
been well over 30 years since we've done this.

The more accurate question is "Why in hell should we send someone
beyond LEO?".

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old September 30th 04, 08:06 PM
Jeff Findley

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

When in the hell are we ever going to send someone beyond LEO again?

It's
been well over 30 years since we've done this.

The more accurate question is "Why in hell should we send someone
beyond LEO?".

Maybe we should just wait until private industry is ready to send the first
private mission to the moon? Then NASA can just charter flights to the moon
instead of building their own infrastructure because they insist they have
"NASA specific" needs.

Jeff