Space Station to be Abandoned?

Old September 24th 04, 04:13 PM
Herb Schaltegger

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

Because it would likely be cheaper and faster than any US solution to
regenerative O2 production. The Russians would be doing the overhaul, the
US shuttle would just be used for transportation. I believe I read
somewhere that an Elektron is 300 lbs. That's not very much extra mass to
put into an MPLM for a ride up. As for the ride down, the MPLM is already
used for disposing of trash.

The American OGA (Oxygen Generator Assembly) was in dev testing as far
back as the late 80's. Testing continued all the way through the early
'90's when the design was finalized and the developer went through its
CDR - I seem to recall that all but a few RIDs were closed out before
SSF transmorgrified into ISS. I'd bet lots of money that the U.S. qual
unit is sitting in a warehouse at MSFC if it's not actually being used
in a closed-loop development lab somewhere. I think (but I don't
recall) that it weighed less than 300 pounds, too. Also, the U.S. ECLSS
racks were spec'd (and built, I hope) to be stubbed out to simply plug
in the OGA and a CO2 Reduction Assembly unit, funding permitting their
fabrication and launch. I'd bet lots of money that the dev units for
that one are lying around somewhere, too.

We can thank this whole mess on the short-sightedness of Congress and
NASA HQ for cutting these two units out of the program baseline in 1993.
*sigh*

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
Old September 24th 04, 05:40 PM
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:

While this is true, there are still ground units that the Russians operate
on the ground (for training, testing, and the like) in addition to the ones
on ISS. I'm sure that there are plenty of engineers that understand these
units to some degree.

Send it to China; they'll copy it with 4 times the reliability, and 1/4
the price.

Pat

Old September 24th 04, 07:36 PM
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

Look at the number of "classic cars" that are still on the road despite the
fact that their manufacturers are long gone...

They have what Elektron doesn't.... They were built to be worked on
with standard tools, they have an enormous amount of 'junkers' around
to scavenge for parts, they have a large number of 3rd party
manufacturers making parts, they have tens of thousands of
enthusiasts.....

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old September 25th 04, 01:46 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

Had people been predicting a Russian calamity, you'd have a point.
Instead, as usual so far, you confuse drug addled hallucinations for
reality.

Derek,

No offense, but what is it with you and drugs lately? Seems like every
other post of yours has some reference to "drug addled...."

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Old September 25th 04, 02:10 AM
Derek Lyons

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

Had people been predicting a Russian calamity, you'd have a point.
Instead, as usual so far, you confuse drug addled hallucinations for
reality.

Derek,

No offense, but what is it with you and drugs lately? Seems like every
other post of yours has some reference to "drug addled...."

I'm in a great deal of pain, and on them myself... That and I cannot
imagine how this idividual can otherwise spout the nonsense he does.
This guy is the anti-Bbo, Bbo spews nothing but dark scenarios and
this nothing but 'dontworrybehappy'.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.