Daily Report #5003

Old December 31st 09, 08:32 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Bassford, Lynn[_2_]

Default Daily Report #5003

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5003

PERIOD COVERED: 5am December 30 - 5am December 31, 2009 (DOY 364/10:00z-365/10:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/WFC3 11879

CCD Daily Monitor (Part 1)

This program comprises basic tests for measuring the read noise and
dark current of the ACS WFC and for tracking the growth of hot pixels.
The recorded frames are used to create bias and dark reference images
for science data reduction and calibration. This program will be
executed four days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) for the duration of
Cycle 17. To facilitate scheduling, this program is split into three
proposals. This proposal covers 352 orbits (22 weeks) from 31 August
2009 to 31 January 2010.

COS/NUV/FUV 11741

Probing Warm-Hot Intergalactic Gas at 0.5 z 1.3 with a Blind
Survey for O VI, Ne VIII, Mg X, and Si XII Absorption Systems

Currently we can only account for half of the baryons (or less)
expected to be found in the nearby universe based on D/H and CMB
observations. This "missing baryons problem" is one of the
highest-priority challenges in observational extragalatic astronomy.
Cosmological simulations suggest that the baryons are hidden in
low-density, shock-heated intergalactic gas in the log T = 5 - 7
range, but intensive UV and X-ray surveys using O VI, O VII, and O
VIII absorption lines have not yet confirmed this prediction. We
propose to use COS to carry out a sensitive survey for Ne VIII and Mg
X absorption in the spectra of nine QSOs at z(QSO) 0.89. For the
three highest-redshift QSOs, we will also search for Si XII. This
survey will provide more robust constraints on the quantity of baryons
in warm-hot intergalactic gas at 0.5 z 1.3, and the data will
provide rich constraints on the metal enrichment, physical conditions,
and nature of a wide variety of QSO absorbers in addition to the
warm-hot systems. By comparing the results to other surveys at lower
redshifts (with STIS, FUSE, and from the COS GTO programs), the
project will also enable the first study of how these absorbers evolve
with redshift at z 1. By combining the program with follow-up galaxy
redshift surveys, we will also push the study of galaxy-absorber
relationships to higher redshifts, with an emphasis on the
distribution of the WHIM with respect to the large-scale matter
distribution of the universe.

STIS/CCD 11703

The Nature of the Black Hole in a NGC 4472 Globular Cluster and the
Origin of Its Broad [OIII] Emission

We propose to use STIS to obtain optical spectroscopy at high spatial
resolution of the black hole-hosting globular cluster RZ2109 in the
Virgo elliptical NGC 4472. This is motivated by our very recent
discovery broad [OIII] 4959, 5007 emission with a width of several
thousand km/s in this globular cluster. The STIS spectroscopy will
enable us to determine if the very broad [OIII] emission is due to
material driven at high velocity from the central accreting black hole
across the globular cluster, or if the velocity widths are due to
gravitational motions very close to the central black hole. In the
former case, the [OIII] emission should extend over a few-tenths of an
arcsecond and be spatially resolved by HST and STIS, while in the
latter case, the emission lines will be unresolved. Distinguishing
between these two possibilities will allow us to - 1) determine
whether the black hole is of intermediate mass or a stellar mass, and
thereby whether the black hole mass - sigma relation extends to
globular cluster masses, 2) test models of black hole formation and
evolution in dense stellar systems, and 3) address the nature of
accretion in the high luminosity black-hole X-ray source, and
constrain the feedback processes from luminous black holes into their
surrounding medium in dense stellar systems.

STIS/CCD 11844

CCD Dark Monitor Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 11846

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2,
2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1, and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up
high-S/N superbiases and track the evolution of hot columns.

WFC3/ACS/IR 11584

Resolving the Smallest Galaxies with ACS

An order of magnitude more dwarf galaxies are expected to inhabit the
Local Group, based on currently accepted galaxy formation models, than
have been observed. This discrepancy has been noted in environments
ranging from the field to rich clusters, with evidence emerging that
lower density regions contain fewer dwarfs per giant than higher
density regions, in further contrast to model predictions. However,
there is no complete census of the faintest dwarf galaxies in any
environment. The discovery of the smallest and faintest dwarfs is
hampered by the limitations in detecting such compact or low surface
brightness galaxies, and this is compounded by the great difficulty in
determining accurate distances to, or ascertaining group membership
for, such faint objects. The M81 group provides a powerful means for
establishing membership for faint galaxies in a low density region.
With a distance modulus of 27.8, the tip of the red giant branch
(TRGB) appears at I ~ 24, just within the reach of ground based
surveys. We have completed a 65 square degree survey in the region
around M81 with the CFHT/MegaCam. Half of our survey was completed
before Cycle 16 and we were awarded time with WFPC2 to observe 15 new
candidate dwarf galaxy group members in F606W and F814W bands in order
to construct color-magnitude diagrams from which to measure accurate
TRGB distances and determine star formation and metallicity histories.
The data obtained show that 8 - 9 of these objects are galaxies at the
same distance as M81. In completing our survey, we have discovered an
additional 8 candidate galaxies we propose to image with ACS in order
to measure TRGB distances and establish membership. We also wish to
re-observe our smallest candidate group member and a tidal dwarf
candidate with deeper observations made possible with ACS. Once
membership has been established for this second set of candidates, we
will have a complete census of the dwarf galaxy population in the M8
group to M_r ~ -10, allowing us to obtain a firm measurement of the
luminosity function faint-end slope, and, combined with previous HST
data, to provide a complete inventory of the age and abundance
properties for the collapsed core of the M81 group.

WFC3/IR 11108

Near Infrared Observations of a Sample of z~6.5-6.7 Galaxies

The majority of the most distant galaxies discovered to date have been
found by strong Lyman alpha emission at red optical wavelengths. An
accurate estimate of the star formation rates for these objects
requires a measurement of the line-free UV continuum, which must be
taken at infrared wavelengths. Here we propose to obtain imaging with
WFC3 in the F140W filter for a sample of 9 Lyman alpha galaxies with
redshifts z~6.5 up to z=6.740 from a complete, flux-limited widefield
narrowband and multi-color survey conducted on the 8-m Subaru
Telescope. This program will investigate galaxy morphologies and star
formation for a uniform sample of the highest redshift galaxies now
known.

WFC3/IR 11666

Chilly Pairs: A Search for the Latest-type Brown Dwarf Binaries and
the Prototype Y Dwarf

We propose to use HST/NICMOS to image a sample of 27 of the nearest (
20 pc) and lowest luminosity T-type brown dwarfs in order to identify
and characterize new very low mass binary systems. Only 3 late-type T
dwarf binaries have been found to date, despite that fact that these
systems are critical benchmarks for evolutionary and atmospheric
models at the lowest masses. They are also the most likely systems to
harbor Y dwarf companions, an as yet unpopulated putative class of
very cold (T 600 K) brown dwarfs. Our proposed program will more
than double the number of T5-T9 dwarfs imaged at high resolution, with
an anticipated yield of ~5 new binaries with initial characterization
of component spectral types. We will be able to probe separations
sufficient to identify systems suitable for astrometric orbit and
dynamical mass measurements. We also expect one of our discoveries to
contain the first Y-type brown dwarf. Our proposed program complements
and augments ongoing ground-based adaptive optics surveys and provides
pathway science for JWST.

WFC3/IR 11696

Infrared Survey of Star Formation Across Cosmic Time

We propose to use the unique power of WFC3 slitless spectroscopy to
measure the evolution of cosmic star formation from the end of the
reionization epoch at z6 to the close of the galaxy-building era at
z~0.3.Pure parallel observations with the grisms have proven to be
efficient for identifying line emission from galaxies across a broad
range of redshifts. The G102 grism on WFC3 was designed to extend this
capability to search for Ly-alpha emission from the first galaxies.
Using up to 250 orbits of pure parallel WFC3 spectroscopy, we will
observe about 40 deep (4-5 orbit) fields with the combination of G102
and G141, and about 20 shallow (2-3 orbit) fields with G141 alone.

Our primary science goals at the highest redshifts a (1) Detect Lya
in ~100 galaxies with z5.6 and measure the evolution of the Lya
luminosity function, independent of of cosmic variance; 2) Determine
the connection between emission line selected and continuum-break
selected galaxies at these high redshifts, and 3) Search for the
proposed signature of neutral hydrogen absorption at re-ionization. At
intermediate redshifts we will (4) Detect more than 1000 galaxies in
Halpha at 0.5z1.8 to measure the evolution of the
extinction-corrected star formation density across the peak epoch of
star formation. This is over an order-of-magnitude improvement in the
current statistics, from the NICMOS Parallel grism survey. (5) Trace
``cosmic downsizing" from 0.5z2.2; and (6) Estimate the evolution in
reddening and metallicty in star-forming galaxies and measure the
evolution of the Seyfert population. For hundreds of spectra we will
be able to measure one or even two line pair ratios -- in particular,
the Balmer decrement and [OII]/[OIII] are sensitive to gas reddening
and metallicity. As a bonus, the G102 grism offers the possibility of
detecting Lya emission at z=7-8.8.

To identify single-line Lya emitters, we will exploit the wide
0.8--1.9um wavelength coverage of the combined G102+G141 spectra. All
[OII] and [OIII] interlopers detected in G102 will be reliably
separated from true LAEs by the detection of at least one strong line
in the G141 spectrum, without the need for any ancillary data. We
waive all proprietary rights to our data and will make high-level data
products available through the ST/ECF.

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS 11565

A Search for Astrometric Companions to Very Low-Mass, Population II
Stars

We propose to carry out a Snapshot search for astrometric companions
in a subsample of very low-mass, halo subdwarfs identified within 120
parsecs of the Sun. These ultra-cool M subdwarfs are local
representatives of the lowest-mass H burning objects from the Galactic
Population II. The expected 3-4 astrometric doubles that will be
discovered will be invaluable in that they will be the first systems
from which gravitational masses of metal-poor stars at the bottom of
the main sequence can be directly measured.

WFC3/UVIS 11661

The Black Hole Mass - Bulge Luminosity Relationship for the Nearest
Reverberation- Mapped AGNs

We propose to obtain WFC3 host galaxy images of the eight nearest AGNs
with masses from reverberation mapping, and one star as a PSF model.
These images will allow us to determine with unprecedented accuracy
the bulge luminosities of the host galaxies, a goal which is not
achievable from the ground due to the blurring of the very bright PSF
component under typical, and even very good, seeing conditions.
High-resolution ACS images of the host galaxies of more luminous AGNs
reveal that the black hole mass- bulge luminosity and black hole
mass-bulge mass relationships for AGNs are not well constrained and
arise from what appear to be fundamentally flawed data sets. With the
addition of the images proposed here to our current sample of ACS
images, we will be able to extend our determinations of the black hole
mass-bulge luminosity and black hole mass-bulge mass relationships for
AGNs by an order of magnitude and test our preliminary results for
these fundamentally important relationships against those previously
determined for quiescent galaxies.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11644

A Dynamical-Compositional Survey of the Kuiper Belt: A New Window Into
the Formation of the Outer Solar System

The eight planets overwhelmingly dominate the solar system by mass,
but their small numbers, coupled with their stochastic pasts, make it
impossible to construct a unique formation history from the dynamical
or compositional characteristics of them alone. In contrast, the huge
numbers of small bodies scattered throughout and even beyond the
planets, while insignificant by mass, provide an almost unlimited
number of probes of the statistical conditions, history, and
interactions in the solar system. To date, attempts to understand the
formation and evolution of the Kuiper Belt have largely been dynamical
simulations where a hypothesized starting condition is evolved under
the gravitational influence of the early giant planets and an attempt
is made to reproduce the current observed populations. With little
compositional information known for the real Kuiper Belt, the test
particles in the simulation are free to have any formation location
and history as long as they end at the correct point. Allowing
compositional information to guide and constrain the formation,
thermal, and collisional histories of these objects would add an
entire new dimension to our understanding of the evolution of the
outer solar system. While ground based compositional studies have hit
their flux limits already with only a few objects sampled, we propose
to exploit the new capabilities of WFC3 to perform the first ever
large-scale dynamical-compositional study of Kuiper Belt Objects
(KBOs) and their progeny to study the chemical, dynamical, and
collisional history of the region of the giant planets. The
sensitivity of the WFC3 observations will allow us to go up to two
magnitudes deeper than our ground based studies, allowing us the
capability of optimally selecting a target list for a large survey
rather than simply taking the few objects that can be measured, as we
have had to do to date. We have carefully constructed a sample of 120
objects which provides both overall breadth, for a general
understanding of these objects, plus a large enough number of objects
in the individual dynamical subclass to allow detailed comparison
between and within these groups. These objects will likely define the
core Kuiper Belt compositional sample for years to come. While we have
many specific results anticipated to come from this survey, as with
any project where the field is rich, our current knowledge level is
low, and a new instrument suddenly appears which can exploit vastly
larger segments of the population, the potential for discovery -- both
anticipated and not -- is extraordinary.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11700

Bright Galaxies at z7.5 with a WFC3 Pure Parallel Survey

The epoch of reionization represents a special moment in the history
of the Universe as it is during this era that the first galaxies and
star clusters are formed. Reionization also profoundly affects the
environment where subsequent generations of galaxies evolve. Our
overarching goal is to test the hypothesis that galaxies are
responsible for reionizing neutral hydrogen. To do so we propose to
carry out a pure parallel WFC3 survey to constrain the bright end of
the redshift z7.5 galaxy luminosity function on a total area of 176
arcmin^2 of sky. Extrapolating the evolution of the luminosity
function from z~6, we expect to detect about 20 Lyman Break Galaxies
brighter than M_* at z~8 significantly improving the current sample of
only a few galaxies known at these redshifts. Finding significantly
fewer objects than predicted on the basis of extrapolation from z=6
would set strong limits to the brightness of M_*, highlighting a fast
evolution of the luminosity function with the possible implication
that galaxies alone cannot reionize the Universe. Our observations
will find the best candidates for spectroscopic confirmation, that is
bright z7.5 objects, which would be missed by small area deeper
surveys. The random pointing nature of the program is ideal to beat
cosmic variance, especially severe for luminous massive galaxies,
which are strongly clustered. In fact our survey geometry of 38
independent fields will constrain the luminosity function like a
contiguous single field survey with two times more area at the same
depth. Lyman Break Galaxies at z7.5 down to m_AB=26.85 (5 sigma) in
F125W will be selected as F098M dropouts, using three to five orbits
visits that include a total of four filters (F606W, F098M, F125W,
F160W) optimized to remove low-redshift interlopers and cool stars.
Our data will be highly complementary to a deep field search for
high-z galaxies aimed at probing the faint end of the luminosity
function, allowing us to disentangle the degeneracy between faint end
slope and M_* in a Schechter function fit of the luminosity function.
We waive proprietary rights for the data. In addition, we commit to
release the coordinates and properties of our z7.5 candidates within
one month from the acquisition of each field.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 8 8
FGS REAcq 5 5
OBAD with Maneuver 5 5

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 06:17 PM
Daily Report # 4428 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 17th 07 03:46 PM
Daily Report # 4427 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 16th 07 02:51 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM