Daily Rpt #4991

Old December 14th 09, 05:12 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Bassford, Lynn[_2_]

Default Daily Rpt #4991

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #4991

PERIOD COVERED: 5am December 11 - 5am December 14, 2009 (DOY 345/10:00z-348/10:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

S/C 12047

WFC3 CSM Mechanism Remapping

WFC3's Side-2 CSM (Channel Select Mechanism) has exhibited behavior
indicating that the resolver counts for given angular positions have
changed since its last remapping in 2008. This is not an unexpected
behavior for this resolver as it has been mapped and remapped several
time in the past with the first mapping in 2003 and remappings
occurring in 2007 and 2008. The exact mechanical or electrical cause
for the change is unclear (several theories exist), but from past
experience, the mappings remain stable unless the resolver is
subjected to severe vibration as seen during acoustic testing in 2007
and now flight in May of this year. See PR 63799 for additional
comments or information.

Remapping should provide a long-term and accurate problem resolution.

COS/FUV 12022

The Chemical Composition of AGN Outflows

We propose a simultaneous Chandra LETGS - HST/COS observation of the
bright Seyfert 1 galaxy Mrk 509, within half a year from an approved
large XMM-Newton monitoring campaign. Combining 180 ks LETGS time and
10 orbits of COS time with the XMM-Newton RGS spectrum, we will obtain
accurate abundances of C, N, O, Ne, Si, S, and Fe over a broad range
of ionization parameter. This allows us to determine directly the
contributions from various supernova types and intermediate mass stars
to the chemical enrichment processes in galaxy cores. It also will
reveal directly the chemical composition of the outflow that enriches
the surrounding diffuse medium. Our team has successfully executed a
similar abundances campaign on Mrk 279.

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/IR 11928

WFC3/IR Low-Frequency Flat and Geometric Distortion

Multiple observations of globular cluster Omega Cen at multiple
infrared wavelengths of IR detector will be used to derive filter
dependency of low-frequency sensitivity (L_flat fields) across of IR
detector and its time variation. Additionally, the same data will be
also used to derive filter-dependant geometric distortion of the
detector and its time- dependency.

WFC3/UVIS 11912

UVIS Internal Flats

This proposal will be used to assess the stability of the flat field
structure for the UVIS detector throughout the 15 months of Cycle 17.
The data will be used to generate on- orbit updates for the delta-flat
field reference files used in the WFC3 calibration pipeline, if
significant changes in the flat structure are seen.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11909

UVIS Hot Pixel Anneal

The on-orbit radiation environment of WFC3 will continually generate
new hot pixels. This proposal performs the procedure required for
repairing those hot pixels in the UVIS CCDs. During an anneal, the
two-stage thermo-electric cooler (TEC) is turned off and the
four-stage TEC is used as a heater to bring the UVIS CCDs up to ~20
deg. C. As a result of the CCD warmup, a majority of the hot pixels
will be fixed; previous instruments such as WFPC2 and ACS have seen
repair rates of about 80%. Internal UVIS exposures are taken before
and after each anneal, to allow an assessment of the procedure's
effectiveness in WFC3, provide a check of bias, global dark current,
and hot pixel levels, as well as support hysteresis (bowtie)
monitoring and CDBS reference file generation. One IR dark is taken
after each anneal, to provide a check of the IR detector.

WFC3/UVIS 11908

Cycle 17: UVIS Bowtie Monitor

Ground testing revealed an intermittent hysteresis type effect in the
UVIS detector (both CCDs) at the level of ~1%, lasting hours to days.
Initially found via an unexpected bowtie-shaped feature in flatfield
ratios, subsequent lab tests on similar e2v devices have since shown
that it is also present as simply an overall offset across the entire
CCD, i.e., a QE offset without any discernable pattern. These lab
tests have further revealed that overexposing the detector to count
levels several times full well fills the traps and effectively
neutralizes the bowtie. Each visit in this proposal acquires a set of
three 3x3 binned internal flatfields: the first unsaturated image will
be used to detect any bowtie, the second, highly exposed image will
neutralize the bowtie if it is present, and the final image will allow
for verification that the bowtie is gone.

WFC3/UVIS 11907

UVIS Cycle 17 Contamination Monitor

The UV throughput of WFC3 during Cycle 17 is monitored via weekly
standard star observations in a subset of key filters covering
200-600nm and F606W, F814W as controls on the red end. The data will
provide a measure of throughput levels as a function of time and
wavelength, allowing for detection of the presence of possible
contaminants.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

ACS/WFC3 11879

CCD Daily Monitor (Part 1)

This program comprises basic tests for measuring the read noise and
dark current of the ACS WFC and for tracking the growth of hot pixels.
The recorded frames are used to create bias and dark reference images
for science data reduction and calibration. This program will be
executed four days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) for the duration of
Cycle 17. To facilitate scheduling, this program is split into three
proposals. This proposal covers 352 orbits (22 weeks) from 31 August
2009 to 31 January 2010.

STIS/CCD 11846

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2,
2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1, and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up
high-S/N superbiases and track the evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 11844

CCD Dark Monitor Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

FGS 11789

An Astrometric Calibration of Population II Distance Indicators

In 2002, HST produced a highly precise parallax for RR Lyrae. That
measurement resulted in an absolute magnitude, M(V)= 0.61+/-0.11, a
useful result, judged by the over ten refereed citations each year
since. It is, however, unsatisfactory to have the direct,
parallax-based, distance scale of Population II variables based on a
single star. We propose, therefore, to obtain the parallaxes of four
additional RR Lyrae stars and two Population II Cepheids, or W Vir
stars. The Population II Cepheids lie with the RR Lyrae stars on a
common K-band Period-Luminosity relation. Using these parallaxes to
inform that relationship, we anticipate a zero point error of 0.04
magnitude. This result should greatly strengthen confidence in the
Population II distance scale and increase our understanding of RR
Lyrae star and Pop. II Cepheid astrophysics.

FGS 11788

The Architecture of Exoplanetary Systems

Are all planetary systems coplanar? Concordance cosmogony makes that
prediction. It is, however, a prediction of extrasolar planetary
system architecture as yet untested by direct observation for main
sequence stars other than the Sun. To provide such a test, we propose
to carry out FGS astrometric studies on four stars hosting seven
companions. Our understanding of the planet formation process will
grow as we match not only system architecture, but formed planet mass
and true distance from the primary with host star characteristics for
a wide variety of host stars and exoplanet masses.

We propose that a series of FGS astrometric observations with
demonstrated 1 millisecond of arc per-observation precision can
establish the degree of coplanarity and component true masses for four
extrasolar systems: HD 202206 (brown dwarf+planet); HD 128311
(planet+planet), HD 160691 = mu Arae (planet+planet), and HD 222404AB
= gamma Cephei (planet+star). In each case the companion is identified
as such by assuming that the minimum mass is the actual mass. For the
last target, a known stellar binary system, the companion orbit is
stable only if coplanar with the AB binary orbit.

COS/NUV/FUV 11741

Probing Warm-Hot Intergalactic Gas at 0.5 z 1.3 with a Blind
Survey for O VI, Ne VIII, Mg X, and Si XII Absorption Systems

Currently we can only account for half of the baryons (or less)
expected to be found in the nearby universe based on D/H and CMB
observations. This "missing baryons problem" is one of the
highest-priority challenges in observational extragalatic astronomy.
Cosmological simulations suggest that the baryons are hidden in
low-density, shock-heated intergalactic gas in the log T = 5 - 7
range, but intensive UV and X-ray surveys using O VI, O VII, and O
VIII absorption lines have not yet confirmed this prediction. We
propose to use COS to carry out a sensitive survey for Ne VIII and Mg
X absorption in the spectra of nine QSOs at z(QSO) 0.89. For the
three highest-redshift QSOs, we will also search for Si XII. This
survey will provide more robust constraints on the quantity of baryons
in warm-hot intergalactic gas at 0.5 z 1.3, and the data will
provide rich constraints on the metal enrichment, physical conditions,
and nature of a wide variety of QSO absorbers in addition to the
warm-hot systems. By comparing the results to other surveys at lower
redshifts (with STIS, FUSE, and from the COS GTO programs), the
project will also enable the first study of how these absorbers evolve
with redshift at z 1. By combining the program with follow-up galaxy
redshift surveys, we will also push the study of galaxy-absorber
relationships to higher redshifts, with an emphasis on the
distribution of the WHIM with respect to the large-scale matter
distribution of the universe.

WFC3/IR 11696

Infrared Survey of Star Formation Across Cosmic Time

We propose to use the unique power of WFC3 slitless spectroscopy to
measure the evolution of cosmic star formation from the end of the
reionization epoch at z6 to the close of the galaxy-building era at
z~0.3.Pure parallel observations with the grisms have proven to be
efficient for identifying line emission from galaxies across a broad
range of redshifts. The G102 grism on WFC3 was designed to extend this
capability to search for Ly-alpha emission from the first galaxies.
Using up to 250 orbits of pure parallel WFC3 spectroscopy, we will
observe about 40 deep (4-5 orbit) fields with the combination of G102
and G141, and about 20 shallow (2-3 orbit) fields with G141 alone.

Our primary science goals at the highest redshifts a (1) Detect Lya
in ~100 galaxies with z5.6 and measure the evolution of the Lya
luminosity function, independent of of cosmic variance; 2) Determine
the connection between emission line selected and continuum-break
selected galaxies at these high redshifts, and 3) Search for the
proposed signature of neutral hydrogen absorption at re-ionization. At
intermediate redshifts we will (4) Detect more than 1000 galaxies in
Halpha at 0.5z1.8 to measure the evolution of the
extinction-corrected star formation density across the peak epoch of
star formation. This is over an order-of-magnitude improvement in the
current statistics, from the NICMOS Parallel grism survey. (5) Trace
``cosmic downsizing" from 0.5z2.2; and (6) Estimate the evolution in
reddening and metallicty in star-forming galaxies and measure the
evolution of the Seyfert population. For hundreds of spectra we will
be able to measure one or even two line pair ratios -- in particular,
the Balmer decrement and [OII]/[OIII] are sensitive to gas reddening
and metallicity. As a bonus, the G102 grism offers the possibility of
detecting Lya emission at z=7-8.8.

To identify single-line Lya emitters, we will exploit the wide
0.8--1.9um wavelength coverage of the combined G102+G141 spectra. All
[OII] and [OIII] interlopers detected in G102 will be reliably
separated from true LAEs by the detection of at least one strong line
in the G141 spectrum, without the need for any ancillary data. We
waive all proprietary rights to our data and will make high-level data
products available through the ST/ECF.

COS/NUV/FUV/STIS/CCS/MA1 11692

The LMC as a QSO Absorption Line System

We propose to obtain high resolution, high signal-to-noise
observations of QSOs behind the Large Magellanic Clouds. These QSOs
are situated beyond the star forming disk of the galaxy, giving us the
opportunity to study the distribution of metals and energy in regions
lacking significant star formation. In particular, we will derive the
metallicities and study the ionization characteristics of LMC gas at
impact parameters 3-17 kpc. We will compare our results with high-z
QSO absorption line systems.

WFC3/IR 11666

Chilly Pairs: A Search for the Latest-type Brown Dwarf Binaries and
the Prototype Y

We propose to use HST/NICMOS to image a sample of 27 of the nearest (
20 pc) and lowest luminosity T-type brown dwarfs in order to identify
and characterize new very low mass binary systems. Only 3 late-type T
dwarf binaries have been found to date, despite that fact that these
systems are critical benchmarks for evolutionary and atmospheric
models at the lowest masses. They are also the most likely systems to
harbor Y dwarf companions, an as yet unpopulated putative class of
very cold (T 600 K) brown dwarfs. Our proposed program will more
than double the number of T5-T9 dwarfs imaged at high resolution, with
an anticipated yield of ~5 new binaries with initial characterization
of component spectral types. We will be able to probe separations
sufficient to identify systems suitable for astrometric orbit and
dynamical mass measurements. We also expect one of our discoveries to
contain the first Y-type brown dwarf. Our proposed program complements
and augments ongoing ground-based adaptive optics surveys and provides
pathway science for JWST.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS/IR/STIS/CCD 11653

SAINTS - Supernova 1987A INTensive Survey

SAINTS is a program to observe SN 1987A, the brightest supernova since
1604, as it matures into the youngest supernova remnant at age 21. HST
is the essential tool for resolving SN1987A's many physical
components. A violent encounter is underway between the fastest-moving
debris and the circumstellar ring: shocks excite "hotspots." Radio,
optical, infrared and X-ray fluxes have been rising rapidly: we have
organized Australia Telescope, HST, VLT, Spitzer, and Chandra
observations to understand the several emission mechanisms at work.
Photons from the shocked ring will excite previously invisible gas
outside the ring, revealing the true extent of the mass loss that
preceded the explosion of Sanduleak -69 202. This will help test ideas
for the progenitor of SN 1987A. The inner debris, excited by
radioactive isotopes from the explosion, is now resolved and seen to
be aspherical, providing direct evidence on the shape of the explosion
itself. Questions about SN 1987A remain unanswered. A rich and
unbroken data set from SAINTS will help answer these central questions
and will build an archive for the future to help answer questions we
have not yet thought to ask.

STIS/CCD/MA1/MA2 11616

The Disks, Accretion, and Outflows (DAO) of T Tau Stars

Classical T Tauri stars undergo magnetospheric accretion, power
outflows, and possess the physical and chemical conditions in their
disks to give rise to planet formation. Existing high resolution FUV
spectra verify that this spectral region offers unique diagnostics of
these processes, which have the potential to significantly advance our
understanding of the interaction of a star and its accretion disk. To
date the limited results are intriguing, with dramatic differences in
kinematic structure in lines ranging from C IV to H2 among the few
stars that have been observed. We propose to use HST/COS to survey the
disks, outflows, and accretion (the DAO) of 26 CTTS and 6 WTTS in the
FUV at high spectral resolution. A survey of this size is essential to
establish how properties of accretion shocks, winds and disk
irradiation depend on disk accretion rate. Specifically, our goals are
to (1) measure the radiation from and understand the physical
properties of the gas very near the accretion shock as a function of
accretion rate using emission line profiles of hot lines (C IV, Si IV,
N V, and He II); (2) measure the opacity, velocity, and temperature at
the base of the outflow to constrain outflow models using wind
absorption features; and (3) characterize the radiation incident on
disks and protoplanetary atmospheres using H2 line and continuum
emission and reconstructed bright Ly-alpha line emission.

ACS/WFC3 11593

Dynamical Masses of the Coolest Brown Dwarfs

T dwarfs are excellent laboratories to study the evolution and the
atmospheric physics of both brown dwarfs and extrasolar planets. To
date, only a single T dwarf binary has a dynamical mass determination,
and more are sorely needed. The prospects of measuring more dynamical
masses over the next decade are limited to 6 known short- period T
dwarf binaries. We propose here to obtain Long-Term HST/ACS monitoring
for the 3 of the 6 binaries which cannot be resolved with AO from the
ground. Upon completion, our program will substantially increase the
number of T dwarf dynamical mass measurements and thereby provide key
benchmarks for testing theoretical models of ultracool objects.

COS/FUV/STIS/CCD/MA1 11592

Testing the Origin(s) of the Highly Ionized High-Velocity Clouds: A
Survey of Galactic Halo Stars at z3 kpc

Cosmological simulation predicts that highly ionized gas plays an
important role in the formation and evolution of galaxies and their
interplay with the intergalactic medium. The NASA HST and FUSE
missions have revealed high-velocity CIV and OVI absorption along
extragalactic sightlines through the Galactic halo. These highly
ionized high- velocity clouds (HVCs) could cover 85% of the sky and
have a detection rate higher than the HI HVCs. Two competing, equally
exciting, theories may explain the origin of these highly ionized
HVCs: 1) the "Galactic" theory, where the HVCs are the result of
feedback processes and trace the disk-halo mass exchange, perhaps
including the accretion of matter condensing from an extended corona;
2) the "Local Group" theory, where they are part of the local warm-hot
intergalactic medium, representing some of the missing baryonic matter
of the Universe. Only direct distance determinations can discriminate
between these models. Our group has found that some of these highly
ionized HVCs have a Galactic origin, based on STIS observations of one
star at z5.3 kpc. We propose an HST FUV spectral survey to search for
and characterize the high velocity NV, CIV, and SiIV interstellar
absorption toward 24 stars at much larger distances than any previous
searches (4d21 kpc, 3|z|13 kpc). COS will provide atomic to highly
ionized species (e.g.,OI, CII, CIV, SiIV) that can be observed at
sufficient resolution (R~22, 000) to not only detect these highly
ionized HVCs but also to model their properties and understand their
physics and origins. This survey is only possible because of the high
sensitivity of COS in the FUV spectral range.

WFC3/UVIS 11589

Hypervelocity Stars as Unique Probes of the Galactic Center and Outer
Halo

We propose to obtain high-resolution images of 11 new hypervelocity
stars in the Galactic halo in order to establish the first-epoch
astrometric frame, as a part of a long- term program to measure
precise proper motions in an absolute inertial frame. The origin of
these recently discovered stars with extremely large positive radial
velocities, in excess of the escape speed from the Galaxy, is
consistent only with being ejected from the deep potential well of the
massive black hole at the Galactic center. Reconstructing the full
three-dimensional space motion of the hypervelocity stars, through
astrometric proper motions, provides a unique opportunity to measure
the shape and orientation of the triaxial dark matter halo. The
hypervelocity stars allow determination of the Galactic potential out
to 120 kpc, independently of and at larger distances than is afforded
by tidal streams of satellite galaxies such as the Sagittarius dSph
galaxy. Proper motions of the full set of hypervelocity stars will
provide unique constraints on massive star formation in the
environment of the Galactic center and on the history of stellar
ejection by the supermassive black hole. We request one orbit with
WFC3 for each of the 11 hypervelocity stars to establish their current
positions relative to background galaxies. We request a repeated
observation of these stars in Cycle 19, which will conclusively
measure the astrometric proper motions.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS 11580

Watching Young Planetary Nebulae Grow: The Movie

The development of magneto-hydro gas dynamical models is the key to
the understanding of both the physics (processes) and astronomy
(initial conditions) of astrophysical nebulae of all sorts. The models
are reaching their highest degree of accuracy when applied to and
compared against pre Planetary Nebulae (pPNe) thanks to the
simplicity, relative lack of extinction, and the detail of the imaging
and kinematic data that have bcome available for these objects. The
primary barrier to progress is inadequate kinematic data of pPNe
against which the predictions models can be tested. Unlike PNe, pPNe
do not emit emission lines for detailed Doppler measurements.
Therefore it is essential to find another way to monitor the
morphological evolution.

Only HST can uncover the dynamics of the growth patterns by
subtracting multi-epoch images spanning a decade or more. We have
selected four pPNe with highly collimated outflows in different
evolutionary stages for which high-quality first epoch images were
obtained from 1996 to 2002. All of them display regularly shaped thin
rims, sharp edges, and symmetric pairs of knots or bowshocks that are
ideal for our purposes. We will closely mimic many of the earlier
exposures using ACS and to monitor changes in structures. The
morphology and its evolution will be compared to 3-D MHD models with
adaptive grids in order to build a far clearer picture of the nuclear
geometry which shaped the outflows and constrained their propagation
to the present. We shall also obtain R, J, and H images for use with a
3-D dust radiative transfer code LELUYA to model the dust distribution
deep into the nuclear zones.

NIC3 11153

The Physical Nature and Age of Lyman Alpha Galaxies

In the simplest scenario, strong Lyman alpha emission from high
redshift galaxies would indicate that stellar populations younger than
10 Myrs dominate the UV. This does not, however, constrain the stellar
populations older than 100 Myrs, which do not contribute to UV light.
Also, the Lyman alpha line can be boosted if the interstellar medium
is both clumpy and dusty. Different studies with small samples have
reached different conclusions about the presence of dust and old
stellar populations in Lyman alpha emitters. We propose HST-NICMOS and
Spitzer-IRAC photometry of 35 Lyman-alpha galaxies at redshift
4.5z6.5, in order to determine their spectral energy distribution
{SED} extending through rest-frame optical. This will allow us to
measure accurately {1} The total stellar mass in these objects,
including old stars which may have formed at redshifts {z 8} not
easily probed by any other means. {2} The dust extinction in the rest-
frame UV, and therefore a correction to their present star-formation
rates. Taken together, these two quantities will yield the
star-formation histories of Lyman alpha galaxies, which form fully
half of the known galaxies at z=4-6. They will tell us whether these
are young or old galaxies by straddling the 4000A break. Data from
NICMOS is essential for these compact and faint {i=25-26th magnitude
AB} high redshift galaxies, which are too faint for good near-IR
photometry from the ground.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

#12118 WFC3 Status Buffer Message (716) MECH_BLOCK_NOT_INITIALIZED @
345/10:57:15z During the WFC3 CSM resolver mapping to step 42, the
over-travel switch activated, shutting down the CSM motor.

Observations affected: S/C Proposal #12047

#12121 GSAcq(1,0,1) @348/03:13:13z failed to RGA hold due to Scan Step
Limit Exceeded @348/03:15:17z. REAcq(1,0,1) @348/04:23:18z was
successful.

Observations affected: WFC3 #1 Proposal #11732

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:

#18779-1 Recover from WFC3 CSM Over-travel @ 345/14:35z

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 22 21
FGS REAcq 22 22
OBAD with Maneuver 21 21

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily #4080 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 29th 06 03:04 PM
Daily #4066 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 9th 06 02:29 PM
Daily #4065 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 8th 06 02:33 PM
Daily #4064 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 7th 06 02:31 PM
Daily #4062 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 3rd 06 02:35 PM