Opportunity finds geologic survey marker on Mars???

Old February 12th 08, 08:49 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Opportunity finds geologic survey marker on Mars???

Look at the latest pictures from the Opportunity camera on SOL 1430:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2551R7M1.HTML

For a closeup of this circular featu

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...ity_m1430.html

From what I can see, it looks like one of those geologic survey marker
locations where somebody has pulled off the plate, leaving just the
spot where they glued the plate. The indentation looks like it might
have a character like an L imprinted on it.

I'm no geologist, but I can't see how that could possibly be a natural
feature. It is way too circular and sharp to be something that was
created long ago.

fhumars

Old February 13th 08, 05:16 AM posted to sci.astro
Surfer[_2_]

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:49:12 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Look at the latest pictures from the Opportunity camera on SOL 1430:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2551R7M1.HTML

For a closeup of this circular featu

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...ity_m1430.html

From what I can see, it looks like one of those geologic survey marker
locations where somebody has pulled off the plate, leaving just the
spot where they glued the plate.

It is more likely to be a hole drilled by the rover, in order to
investigate what the rock is made of.