What's wrong with this picture?

Old August 28th 04, 10:12 AM
Pat Flannery

Default What's wrong with this picture?

Other than the immediate response of "Lots!", try to list _all_ the
little problems inherent in it:
http://sun3.lib.uci.edu/~jsisson/gifs/spacema.gif
Starting with choosing CO2 as your breathing gas, and the fact that the
Sun shines on the Moon from a different direction than it does on Earth.
:-D

Pat

Old August 28th 04, 12:45 PM
Tim K.

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Other than the immediate response of "Lots!", try to list _all_ the
little problems inherent in it:
http://sun3.lib.uci.edu/~jsisson/gifs/spacema.gif
Starting with choosing CO2 as your breathing gas, and the fact that the
Sun shines on the Moon from a different direction than it does on Earth.

I like the knife.
This author has a skill set honed on chasin' the Commanche, and he's trying
to hard to adapt to drawing the new frontier.

Old August 28th 04, 01:02 PM
Christopher M. Jones

Pat Flannery wrote:

Other than the immediate response of "Lots!", try to list _all_ the
little problems inherent in it:
http://sun3.lib.uci.edu/~jsisson/gifs/spacema.gif
Starting with choosing CO2 as your breathing gas, and the fact that the
Sun shines on the Moon from a different direction than it does on Earth.

Well, let's see...

First, there don't appear to be any valves or regulators
on the astronaut's air supply. I guess maybe he runs his
suit at 1600 psi or somesuch. It's also odd that the hose
simply goes from the tank to the suit without there being
any special fittings on the suit, I don't think that would
work too well.

Second, the biggest error is that the suit obviously has
no positive pressure from within, it conforms to the
astronaut's body. Which either meins the Moon has a
substantial atmosphere or the artist didn't know what
inflated suits look like.

Third, the rocket is parked WAY too close to those big
rocks for safety.

Fourth, the design of that rocket would require a
tall ladder to reach the cabin. I presume it's on the
other side. I also presume that they tried to save
weight on the vehicle by not installing any windows on
this side.

Fifth, the spacecraft/rocket appears to have no RCS,
nor a high gain antenna. The "spire" on top of the
rocket may be an omni-directional, low gain antenna,
but it's hard to say for certain.

Sixth, the Earth does not have a proper phase. It
appears very slightly brighter on one side than the
other, but the night-time side is still lit.

Seventh, you can clearly make out a great many stars
in the sky, when in reality they would be too dim to
see if your eyes (or film) were adjusted to view the
very bright lunar landscape.

I'll take the space walker also in the picture as
artistic license.
Old August 28th 04, 05:11 PM
Fox2

In article , wrote:
Other than the immediate response of "Lots!", try to list _all_ the
little problems inherent in it:
http://sun3.lib.uci.edu/~jsisson/gifs/spacema.gif
Starting with choosing CO2 as your breathing gas, and the fact that the
Sun shines on the Moon from a different direction than it does on Earth.
:-D

Pat

Not bad for pre-space flight cover art. (c.1952)
At least they are wearing space suits & there
are no drooling monsters peeking around any rocks.

I particularly liked the covers with the babes in bikinis,
floating around with the fish bowls on their heads.

Fox2
Old August 28th 04, 06:59 PM
Pat Flannery

Fox2 wrote:

I particularly liked the covers with the babes in bikinis,
floating around with the fish bowls on their heads.

That was a whole genre unto itself, wasn't it?

Pat

Old August 28th 04, 07:01 PM
Pat Flannery

Christopher M. Jones wrote:

I'll take the space walker also in the picture as
artistic license.

I'll take it that he is falling to his doom.
Missed that little crater full of red stuff that looks like lava to the
left of the rocket (is he in the crater Alphonsus by any chance?), and
the fact that the astronaut is carrying an oxygen mask in his hand he
has no way to put on without raising his visor? :-)

Pat

Old August 28th 04, 09:44 PM
Fox2

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

Fox2 wrote:

I particularly liked the covers with the babes in bikinis,
floating around with the fish bowls on their heads.

That was a whole genre unto itself, wasn't it?

Pat

Yep! But they sold lot's of magazines.

As for fictional space suits, let's see now...

SiFi space suits started out as pressurized diving suits.
-Then became armored like a 12th century knight with jet packs.
-Then back to pressurized diving suits.
-Then to skin tight, transparent plastics that held sea level
pressures, but maintained full flexibility.
-Then back to pressurized diving suits.

Current space suits have never made it past the
pressurized diving suit stage.

Fox2
Old August 28th 04, 11:54 PM
Pat Flannery

Fox2 wrote:

SiFi space suits started out as pressurized diving suits.
-Then became armored like a 12th century knight with jet packs.
-Then back to pressurized diving suits.
-Then to skin tight, transparent plastics that held sea level
pressures, but maintained full flexibility.

Not the transparent heart-shaped window incorporated into the women's
spacesuits in the movie "Green Slime" so that their cleavage is
visible.... this must lead to some interesting tanning patterns during
long EVA's in bright sunlight. :-)

Pat

Old August 29th 04, 12:00 AM
John Savard

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 04:12:09 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote, in part:

Starting with choosing CO2 as your breathing gas,

Hey, *we* don't know that it's really a fire extinguisher that he is
wearing.

and the fact that the
Sun shines on the Moon from a different direction than it does on Earth.

That's not true. The sun is shining from the right on both the Earth in
the background, and the lunar mountains to the left. It's only shining
on the *astronaut* from the opposite direction.

John Savard
Old August 29th 04, 12:27 AM
Pat Flannery

John Savard wrote:

That's not true. The sun is shining from the right on both the Earth in
the background, and the lunar mountains to the left. It's only shining
on the *astronaut* from the opposite direction.

Look at the two spaceships also; in fact, given the way it's hitting the
Earth, the whole scene should maybe be in darkness.

Pat

Prove this wrong!!!! Metroman Misc 0 October 19th 03 05:41 PM
My New picture : NGC-6992 JEPobs CCD Imaging 0 August 16th 03 12:46 AM
First attempt at Mars picture Ian Taylor UK Astronomy 16 July 28th 03 02:05 PM