Is mankind doomed?

Old December 4th 10, 01:04 AM posted to alt.astronomy
A Moose in Love

Default Is mankind doomed?

If the sun goes red giant, we are doomed unless we colonize space.
However if the universe is expanding, but then decides to contract
back to zero, it doesn't matter whether we colonized other planets
does it? And how many years would it take us to colonize other earth-
like planets? To find them? I think we're basically ****ed.
Old December 4th 10, 01:37 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

On Dec 3, 6:04*pm, A Moose in Love wrote:
If the sun goes red giant, we are doomed unless we colonize space.
However if the universe is expanding, but then decides to contract
back to zero, it doesn't matter whether we colonized other planets
does it? *And how many years would it take us to colonize other earth-
like planets? *To find them? *I think we're basically ****ed.

If you say we are doomed when the Sun goes red giant, you are assuming
we will all be immortal by then (you do say we, after all)....so
survival will be no problem at all!
Old December 4th 10, 06:36 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message
If the sun goes red giant, we are doomed unless we colonize space.
However if the universe is expanding, but then decides to contract
back to zero, it doesn't matter whether we colonized other planets
does it? And how many years would it take us to colonize other earth-
like planets? To find them? I think we're basically ****ed.

Yea ... and it's right around the corner, too ... about another 5 Billion
years,
really a blink of an eye on a cosmic scale.
I suggest you start looking for a "wormhole" to a nearby Universe as a
backup escape route.

Old December 4th 10, 07:02 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Dec 3, 4:04*pm, A Moose in Love wrote:
If the sun goes red giant, we are doomed unless we colonize space.
However if the universe is expanding, but then decides to contract
back to zero, it doesn't matter whether we colonized other planets
does it? *And how many years would it take us to colonize other earth-
like planets? *To find them? *I think we're basically ****ed.

Judging by the number of 100+ km craters on the moon, not to mention
its 2500 km polar crater that's a darn good match to our Arctic ocean
basin, we can just imagine Earth being nailed by at least ten times as
many, and each and every one of those 100+ km craters would have meant
a global biodiversity reset or do-over. So, as of not too long ago
this planet got nailed by something that created the likes of our
Arctic ocean basin, and that's not to mention other ocean basins
having been impacted by similar or smaller crater forming events that
likely terminated most of the existing life on Earth.

Another big one is past due, as well as Earth and those lunar tidal
forces are not exactly slowing down. If greater Yellowstone blows a
gasket, millions of us could die and the world badly affected for at
least a decade, thus killing perhaps another billion of us.

~ BG