NASA, SpaceX Set First Dragon Launch To ISS

Old December 27th 11, 02:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Matt Wiser

Default NASA, SpaceX Set First Dragon Launch To ISS

On Dec 26, 1:23*am, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 26/12/2011 5:39 PM, Matt Wiser wrote:

Clearly, they do, and have done wonders in those fields. But, and this
is the key he SLS and Orion are for BEO. The other stuff you
mention is for LEO.

Doesn't have to be just LEO - Dragon is designed for re-entry at Martian
velocities, not just Lunar or LEO. *My idea of a 55 tonne LV is right in
the range of Falcon Heavy - Lunar is easy.

True, but remember back during Augustine? Musk made a few comments
that practically meant that "NASA should buy my products exclusively,"
or words to that effect. He made a lot of enemies as a result. Not to
mention that he's admitted that Space X only has 1% of the lobbying
power that Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Northrop-Grumman, or ULA have. He
may get the cargo contract, but crew? I'd wager on Boeing and Orbital
Science.
Old December 28th 11, 08:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Matt Wiser[_2_]

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
bob haller wrote:

Has anyone asked them? Is there any record of anyone saying they
_don't_ want Human Space Flight to continue?

almost 100% of all republican presenditial candidates, pledged during
a republican debate

Quote them and list them by name.

Yeah, I thought not...

The Republican presidential field sent a clear message to NASA workers
in America: They don't see a federal role in funding human space
flight, [video clip at 6:50 to 9:28].

Debate moderator John King of CNN asked the other six candidates in
attendance whether they would continue federal funding for human space
flight. Not a single candidate - Texas Rep. Ron Paul, former
Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty,
Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick
Santorum and former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain - raised their
hand.

Note that they didn't say they wouldn't. Were they asked the question
the way YOU insist on putting it and did they all raise their hands to
indicate they would not fund it?

No, of course not.

The unanimous verdict came during a New Hampshire presidential debate
tonight and following a scathing assessment of NASA management by
former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga.

GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich says "NASA has become an
absolute case study in why bureaucracy cannot innovate," he said.
"What we have is bureaucracy after bureaucracy, failure after
failure."

Want to be that things will pretty much continue on at the current
funding levels, give or take, regardless of who wins the White House?

territory."
--G. Behn

I'll take that bet.

Old December 28th 11, 08:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Matt Wiser[_2_]

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
bob haller wrote:

Boobert, you're either in a fantasy world or are a Luddite, and/or
pessimist. No use for any of the above. You're clearly upset that
Congress isn't listening to you. Like I said, they'd give you a good
laugh, then kick you in the ass while on the way out the committee
room door

congress doesnt listen to anyone but the wealthy who pay for their re
elections.....

You really are an ignorant sod, aren't you? Please explain just how
"the wealthy" do this, given campaign finance limits.

if overspending isnt fixed, we will see hyper inflation and no country
will loan us money. thats already started.

The sky is falling! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!

snip sniveling

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine

Fred, want to bet the Bobbert is Chicken Little (or was in a previous
life)?

Old December 28th 11, 12:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Bob Haller

congress doesnt listen to anyone but the wealthy who pay for their re
elections.....

You really are an ignorant sod, aren't you? *Please explain just how
"the wealthy" do this, given campaign finance limits.

the congressmen get groups to do their advertising for them.

so as to avoid campagn funding law limits,

they do this by promising stuff to these groups..... basically their
votes are bought

you scratch my back i will scratch yours.

this is a major cause of our countries troubles today.

it causes gridlock, because no one can compromise, even when its in
everyones best interest.

now here again is the direct paste from the republican debate. please
explain in detail how any of these presidential candidates are
supportive of MSF at all?

Old December 28th 11, 07:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Matt Wiser

On Dec 28, 3:50*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*------------------------

Oh, bobbert, bobbert. Still crying like Chicken Little. Your ignorance
of politics is legendary. Need you be reminded that the key members of
House and Senate Committees that deal with NASA all come from "Space
States", and they decide how much money NASA finally gets, NOT the
Administration. Again, you keep living in a fantasy world. Get out of
your basement and get into the real one for a change.
Old December 28th 11, 07:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Bob Haller

Oh, bobbert, bobbert. Still crying like Chicken Little. Your ignorance
of politics is legendary. Need you be reminded that the key members of
House and Senate Committees that deal with NASA all come from "Space
States", and they decide how much money NASA finally gets, NOT the
Administration. Again, you keep living in a fantasy world. Get out of
your basement and get into the real one for a change

your ignoring the elephants in the room......

the next election will likely see a big turn out of existing
congressional reps, they must know its coming given their approval
rate of 10% or less.

and the fiancial collapse of our country........

those leaders of congress will likely be on the unemployment
line.......

incidently that was bob schieffers prediction on face the nation last
sunday.

Old December 28th 11, 07:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Matt Wiser

[...]

One other thing, boobert: there's a saying among space buffs (which
clearly, you're not): "The Meek can have the Earth. The Rest of us are
going to the Stars." My bags are packed. So where are you, hmm? Since
you're obviously a Luddite, troll, and a Chicken Little, it's obvious.
Old December 28th 11, 08:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Bob Haller

---------------------------------------------------------------------------**------------------------

One other thing, boobert: there's a saying among space buffs (which
clearly, you're not): "The Meek can have the Earth. The Rest of us are
going to the Stars." My bags are packed. So where are you, hmm? Since
you're obviously a Luddite, troll, and a Chicken Little, it's obvious.- Hide quoted text -

your not going anywhere unless your depending on russia, and they
arent having a good run right now....

and anything nasa will cost you more than you could earn in several
lifetimes just for launch cost per pound
Old December 28th 11, 08:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Bob Haller

On Dec 28, 2:31*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
bob haller wrote:

congress doesnt listen to anyone but the wealthy who pay for their re
elections.....

You really are an ignorant sod, aren't you? *Please explain just how
"the wealthy" do this, given campaign finance limits.

the congressmen get groups to do their advertising for them.

so as to avoid campagn funding law limits,

they do this by promising stuff to these groups..... basically their
votes are bought

you scratch my back i will scratch yours.

this is a major cause of our countries troubles today.

Yes, people with your sort of delusions are indeed a major cause of
our country's troubles today.

You understand that what you describe above is illegal and that people
would go to prison if they got caught doing that, right?

================================================= ====================
[...]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------*-------------------------

And if they'd asked the question the other way, nobody would have
raised their hands, either. *Your understanding of politicians and
human nature is equal to your understanding of current events and
physics; i.e., damned near non-existent.

*territory."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --G. Behn- Hide quoted text -

most congressional polotical campaigns are all about raising boatloads
of money. I have volunteered as campaign worker.

so whats your experience with campaigns for congress?
Old December 28th 11, 09:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.history
Bob Haller

On Dec 28, 2:45*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
bob haller wrote:

and anything nasa will cost you more than you could earn in several
lifetimes just for launch cost per pound

Bobbert, you innumerate ****!

The average American earns $1.6 million during their lifetime.
Presumably "several lifetimes" equates to more than two. *So your
claim is that launch costs per pound prohibit launching a human being
for $5 million or so.

Launch costs are around $10k/pound. *Let's use $15k/pound, just to be
generous to you. *If someone weighs less than 330 pounds or so, your
statement is obviously false.

Now assume a higher lifetime income (everyone isn't you, after all;
someone with a professional degree will earn $4.4 million in their
lifetime) and $10k/pound for launch costs. *Your statement is even
more false.

The only conclusion is that you are an innumerate buffoon who couldn't
figure his way out of a wet paper bag.

yeah delusional fred

Russia Hikes Price of Rocket Rides for U.S. Astronauts to $63 Million

Published March 14, 2011
| FoxNews.com

NASA, already committed to paying Russia millions of dollars to hitch
rides into space, had some expensive news to announce Monday: Russia
plan to start charging even more.

With the United States phasing out the shuttle program, the new way
for U.S. astronauts to get to the International Space Station will be
to catch a ride with the Russians, and NASA's existing contract for
that transport priced each rocket ride at just under $56 million.

Now, Russia is hiking the price for each rocket ride to nearly $63
million in 2014. The contract extension with the Russian Space Agency
totals $753 million, which covers trips for a dozen astronauts from
2014 through 2016.

Why such a price hike? NASA officials chalk it up to inflation.

NASA chief Charles Bolden says it's critical for U.S. companies to
take over this transportation job. The space shuttles used to do that
job are being retired this summer

Read mo http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...#ixzz1hrVKriJq