David Levy

Old February 2nd 07, 03:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

Default David Levy

Hi Guys:

I don't know how many of your are aware of this...but...let's keep
David and Wendee in our thoughts.

Unk Rod

Hello all,

I have some bad news to report
regarding David Levy. First of all, as a
physician I would never disclose private
confidential information. On talking
with Wendee (David's wife) this morning,
as the "news" is already out, she stated
it is OK to inform all of you of the
current status and thus avoid
speculation and misinformation.
David had a right hemisphere stroke
sometime in past week. It is a deep
white matter tissue stroke, so symptoms
were actually somewhat subtle, but CT
scan is clear, he did have a stroke. The
good news is ultrasound shows no
significant blockages in carotid
arteries, so no surgery is needed. An
MRA scan is tomorrow looking for any
hidden issues such as aneurysm's etc. He
is on aspirin, and recovering.
He had been recovering from spinal
surgery from October, had a setback with

a bout of tachycardia, set of by a
respiratory problem. He was nearly
recovered from all of this when the
Stroke occurred. I had the pleasure of
visiting David and Wendee at their home
just 2 weeks ago, and at that time David
was finally feeling well and getting his
strength back, in fact we observed
together most of the night.
Fortunately, though he has some left
arm weakness, the prognosis should be
good. (pending further studies).
Recovery should ensue (yet again for
him), and aspirin therapy may be all
that is needed. It is always hard to
discuss a close friend dispassionately,
but I will speak for all here and wish
him a speedy recovery, and an end to a
seemingly long string of health setbacks
he has had to endure. Our thoughts go
Wendee as well, who as I am sure you
understand, is worried sick and has her
hands full.
Please do not flood her mailbox with
e-mails as she is really quite busy
right now, but cards of sympathy by
close friends out there I am sure will
be appreciated by David and Wendee.

Mario Motta, MD

Old February 2nd 07, 06:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
micky

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Guys:

I don't know how many of your are aware of this...but...let's keep
David and Wendee in our thoughts.

Unk Rod

Who's David Levy?

Old February 2nd 07, 07:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jeff

micky wrote:
"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Guys:

I don't know how many of your are aware of this...but...let's keep
David and Wendee in our thoughts.

Unk Rod

Who's David Levy?

Google is your friend. Don't be afraid.

--
jeff
Old February 2nd 07, 07:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bob Schmall

micky wrote:
"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Guys:

I don't know how many of your are aware of this...but...let's keep
David and Wendee in our thoughts.

Unk Rod

Who's David Levy?

A member of our community and a famous amateur astronomer. More than
that, he is a fellow human being going through a tough period, as is his
wife.

Bob
Old February 2nd 07, 07:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

And even while in my own battle I can very well remember the event that put
his name and another's name in the headlines back in the 1990's along with a
comet and the planet Jupiter too.

Afterall the names of Shoemaker/Levy and the event with the planet Jupiter
are fully recorded in History and by the HST and a Space craft heading to
Jupiter too.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

Old February 3rd 07, 12:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rick Evans[_1_]

"micky" wrote in message news:VXKwh.27825$Oa.5591@edtnps82...

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Guys:

I don't know how many of your are aware of this...but...let's keep
David and Wendee in our thoughts.

Unk Rod

Who's David Levy?

A prolific science writer, lecturer and accomplished
comet hunting astronomer. He's written about
30 books, writes columns for S&T and has
science columns appearing in weekly newspaper
magazines.

--

Rick Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

Old February 3rd 07, 12:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

On Feb 2, 5:10 pm, "Rick Evans"
wrote:

A prolific science writer, lecturer and accomplished
comet hunting astronomer. He's written about
30 books, writes columns for S&T and has
science columns appearing in weekly newspaper
magazines.

Let me add to David's other attibutes, "genuinely nice guy."

Unk Rod

Old February 3rd 07, 03:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Johnny Borborigmi

On 2007-02-02 12:57:09 -0500, "micky" said:

"RMOLLISE" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Guys:

I don't know how many of your are aware of this...but...let's keep
David and Wendee in our thoughts.

Unk Rod

Who's David Levy?

You're kidding right????

Get well soon David!

Old February 3rd 07, 03:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Johnny Borborigmi

On 2007-02-02 09:57:27 -0500, "RMOLLISE" said:

Please do not flood her mailbox with
e-mails as she is really quite busy
right now, but cards of sympathy by
close friends out there I am sure will
be appreciated by David and Wendee.

Mario Motta, MD

Got an address Rod? I wish him all the best.