i'm a girl

Old January 14th 07, 05:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sitav

Default i'm a girl

on many of the articles i posted, especially "hi", everyone refers to
as a "him" or "he". first of all 12 year old boys are not that bright
or as bright and they dont have much dedication in "work". second of
all i am a GIRL.

Old January 14th 07, 05:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Shawn

Sitav wrote:
on many of the articles i posted, especially "hi", everyone refers to
as a "him" or "he". first of all 12 year old boys are not that bright
or as bright and they dont have much dedication in "work". second of
all i am a GIRL.

OK now it makes sense (I have a 12 year old son)
;-)

Shawn
Old January 14th 07, 05:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
kT

Sitav wrote:

i am a GIRL.

Why didn't you say so earlier? That would have gotten you an infinite
amount of respect on an infinite monkey newsgroup right from the start.

If there is one thing these old geezers here love, it's a little girl.

--
The Tsiolkovsky Group : http://www.lifeform.org

My Planetary BLOB : http://cosmic.lifeform.org

Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old January 14th 07, 05:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
AM

Shawn wrote:

OK now it makes sense (I have a 12 year old son)
;-)

Shawn

I'm hoping for grandkid's at some point.
Younger son is off to Iraq, but at least
older one finally proposed, so I can hope.
Someday... (I'm only 46)

--

AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net
Old January 14th 07, 05:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike

"Sitav" wrote in message
ps.com...
on many of the articles i posted, especially "hi", everyone refers to
as a "him" or "he". first of all 12 year old boys are not that bright
or as bright and they dont have much dedication in "work". second of
all i am a GIRL.

Take a hike!!

Old January 14th 07, 09:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Patrick Edward Murray

Sitav,

Most folks who are interested in astronomy usually end up being guys at
least that is what I've seen, perhaps in some other parts of the United
States and the world it's different so forgive us for not understanding
that you are a girl.

First, if you are interested in Astronomy as a career, you really need
to know math. I do know that there are online courses and there used to
be a Masters degree offered by an Austrailian University for non math
folks and if I'm not mistaken it was the University of Sydney...Nepean.
Today, Swinburne University does much the same thing.

Second, there's just not a lot of career opportunities in Astronomy.
You can teach, you can work for NASA and some do both. A few folks
find a place for themselves at one of the major astronomical mags too
or even work at a Planetarium.

You can always though be an amateur and btw Astronomy is probably one
of a small handful of sciences where actually an amateur can make
scientific discoveries such as Comets, Asteroids and Variable Stars.

But before you get that far you need to start and you can do that by a
doing a few simple things...

Depending on where you live, you might want to pick up a copy of Sky &
Telescope, Astronomy or even Astronomy Now (British) or Patrick Moore's
Sky at Night.
All these mags have good Star Charts and interesting articles to help
you although Astronomy is probably more geared to beginners. Sky &
Telescope even has another magazine that unfortunatly is due to expire
soon.

Next, hopefully, you can purchase or perhaps your parents can give you
one for your birthday, a nice pair of Binoculars about 10x 50 are good.
You can look at the Moon and see many of the Messier Objects.

Next, try to join an astronomy club. Most clubs do sponsor events for
the public usually at parks where folks can meet astronomy club members
and look at objects through their telescopes. This gives you the
opportunity to get to know these folks and to figure out what kind of
telescope you want to buy.

After you've taken some time to learn the constellations then you are
probably ready for a small telescope.

Old January 14th 07, 10:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
whowell

Mike wrote:

all i am a GIRL.

Take a hike!!

Ah...a typical 12 year old boy response to a 12 year old girl!

Hang in there Mike....in a couple of years the girls will suddenly start
looking like something you want to get to know better!

Old January 14th 07, 10:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Patrick Edward Murray

Sitav ,

Stay OUT of those grubby chatrooms please, walk anywhere WITH a friend,
keep your cellphone handy etc. Common sense and you should be ok! Oh
and Karate isn't a bad thing to learn either. Sorry to say the world
has changed since I was 12 years old but most folks are decent human
beings and as such we want the very best for you!