Looks like Comet McNOT for me :(

Old January 12th 07, 02:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
AustinMN

Default Looks like Comet McNOT for me :(

Clouds in the east in the AM, clouds in the west in the PM...My wife
says she thought she might have seen it yesterday (I was still trapped
between the skyscrapers in Minneapolis), but she did not have
binoculars.

Coments come and comets go. Between the cloud forecast and other
comittments, looks like this one is gone for me.

Austin

Old January 12th 07, 03:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Banister

So what's the furtherest south anyone has seen it? I couldn't find it at
33N, but weather only allowed me to try on Wed.

-John

ups.com...

Old January 12th 07, 04:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

John Banister wrote:

So what's the furtherest south anyone has seen it? I couldn't find it at
33N, but weather only allowed me to try on Wed.

Barbara Wilson saw it at latitude 29.3N south of Houston. And the
geometry now
at all mid-northern latitudes isn't much worse than it was there then.
Don't give
up yet!

- Tony Flanders

Old January 12th 07, 07:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Stephen Paul

wrote:

Barbara Wilson saw it at latitude 29.3N south of Houston. And the
geometry now
at all mid-northern latitudes isn't much worse than it was there then.
Don't give
up yet!

When is the best time to look for it here at 42N up on a hill
overlooking the west? Is it to the north or the south of the setting
sun?

-Steve Paul

Old January 12th 07, 07:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Curtis Croulet[_1_]

It's been McNOT for me, too. Cloudy last night; maybe there's a chance
tonight. I console myself with remembering Hale-Bopp and Hyakutake. The
current one may be brighter, but nothing will top Hyakutake stretching from
the Big Dipper to Virgo.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old January 12th 07, 08:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. H. Greer

On 12 Jan 2007 11:48:33 -0800, "Stephen Paul"
wrote:

When is the best time to look for it here at 42N up on a hill
overlooking the west? Is it to the north or the south of the setting
sun?

It should be just about directly *above* the setting sun. Don't wait
for twilight to deepen. If you do, the comet will have set. Start
looking *immediately after* your local sunset. Start out with a small
pair of binoculars if possible. A *low* western horizon is critical
now.
--
Bill
Celestial Journeys

Old January 12th 07, 09:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Banister

I had the weather earlier this week, but since Thurs noon, it has been
cloudy and is forecast to get worse until Monday. Good luck to others.

-John

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 12th 07, 11:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing

This comet is quite easy to see during the day. Stand in the shadow of
a building while facing in the direction of the sun, but be SURE that
there is NO CHANCE that you could accidently view the sun while using
your binos.

The comet will be in the same field-of-view as the sun would be, if it
weren't for the building in the way. Here in San Diego at 3 in the
afternoon the comet is in the 10 o'clock position from the sun, it is
very bright and the tail is very obvious.

Paul

Old January 13th 07, 02:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
elaich

Stan Jensen wrote in
:

And I never did get to see it. Stupid clouds here in Michigan. I've
seen dozens of faint, fuzzball comets, but the brightest one in the
past 30 years? Nope!

We had clouds, fog, and all other kinds of comet obscuring crap all last
week. Friday night, clear as a bell, but McNaught is now McNOT.