Winter solstice

Old November 12th 06, 07:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Nikolaj

Default Winter solstice

Hi,

I have a question; At which longitude will the sun be on Winter
Solstice 2006?

Thank you in advance!

/Nikolaj - Denmark

Old November 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Nikolaj

Thank you! A follow-up question; At what longitude will the sun be
December 22 2006 00:22 GMT?

Thank you again!

/Nikolaj

Sam Wormley skrev:
Nikolaj wrote:
Hi,

I have a question; At which longitude will the sun be on Winter
Solstice 2006?

Thank you in advance!

/Nikolaj - Denmark

RA 18h 0m 0s Epoch of Date
Ecliptic Long 270° 0m 0s

Old November 12th 06, 09:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
SkySea

Nikolaj wrote:
I have a question; At which longitude will the sun be on Winter
Solstice 2006?

Sam Wormley wrote:
RA 18h 0m 0s Epoch of Date
Ecliptic Long 270° 0m 0s

I think Nikolaj wants to know the longitude on Earth that is facing
the Sun at the moment of the solstice. Offhand, the solstice happens
at 23:32UT. So at what longitude is it local noon at that time? 12
hours from 23:32 gives us 11:32 hours past Greenwich, so at 15 degrees
per hour, that's about 173 longitude - eastern end pf the Siberian
peninsula, mid/west section of the Aleutioan chain, Samoa, Tonga...

How exact do you want it? There's equation of time to consider, if you
need real accuracy.
=============
- Dale Gombert (SkySea at aol.com)
122.38W, 47.58N, W. Seattle, WA
http://flavorj.com/~skysea
Old November 12th 06, 09:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th

"Nikolaj" wrote in news:1163359784.413850.56780
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Sam Wormley skrev:
Nikolaj wrote:
Hi,

I have a question; At which longitude will the sun be on Winter
Solstice 2006?

Thank you in advance!

/Nikolaj - Denmark

RA 18h 0m 0s Epoch of Date
Ecliptic Long 270° 0m 0s

That's by definition of course ;-).

Klazmon.
Old November 13th 06, 07:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article . com,
Nikolaj wrote:

Sam Wormley skrev:
Nikolaj wrote:
Hi,

I have a question; At which longitude will the sun be on Winter
Solstice 2006?

Thank you in advance!

/Nikolaj - Denmark

RA 18h 0m 0s Epoch of Date
Ecliptic Long 270_deg 0' 0"

Thank you! A follow-up question; At what longitude will the sun be
December 22 2006 00:22 GMT?

Thank you again!

/Nikolaj

Why do you ask the same question once again? You are aware that
2006 Dec 22 00:22 UT _is_ the moment of winter solstice, aren't you?

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old November 13th 06, 08:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Nikolaj

I realise that I in essence asked the same question twice, but the
answer I was looking for was the answer given by Dale Gambert. But
thank you all for your help and assistance.

Thank you!

/Nikolaj

Paul Schlyter skrev:
In article . com,