Texas Star Party moved to June

Old May 24th 07, 08:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Texas Star Party moved to June

I'm interested in discussing the merits or problems with moving the
TSP to June. 2008's TSP will be from June 1 to June 7.

I've heard from several people that the closer to June the TSP is held
the more likely there will be weather problems associated with the
monsoon season.

This year's TSP was almost a total bust. Only Sunday night was really
clear all night and Friday was good but we had pretty substantial fog
and dew.

Personally, I enjoy having TSP either in late April to early May. I
doubt I will go next year if the weather is more likely to be a
problem. I also think the weather will be hotter. The nights will be
shorter. Having TSP closer to Memorial Day will undoubtedly mean
stupid gas prices (very hard on those of us who come from over 1000
miles away).

I love the comeraderie and think TSP is made up of great people, but I
also go mostly for the great skies.

I think this year's weather was completely abnormal. But I'd like to
hear other opinions on what you think holding TSP in June will be like.

Old May 24th 07, 10:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

On May 24, 2:35 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hi:

I prefer May and the earlier the better...and yet...you really can't
predict what's gonna happen weather wise a year in advance. One of the
WETTEST TSPs I've ever attended was well into May, the '97 Leakey, TX
debacle. ;-)

Unk Rod

Old May 24th 07, 11:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tom Polakis

On May 24, 2:43 pm, RMOLLISE wrote:
I prefer May and the earlier the better...and yet...you really can't
predict what's gonna happen weather wise a year in advance...

Rod,

You can't be certain, but you can make an educated guess, and my guess
is that it's much more likely to be rainy in June. Check out this
monthly rainfall data (average and maximum) for nearby Alpine, Texas.

Mar 0.33 0.75
Apr 0.55 1.40
May 1.34 1.98
Jun 2.22 3.33

Hmm, looks like a trend!

Here in Arizona, the first signs of cloudiness from this same weather
mechanisim that plagues the TSP (which we rather hyperbolically call a
"monsoon" in the desert) begins in the last week of June. I think TSP
needs to move to April, and not in the other direction, for me to
consider another 11-hour trip to the Ranch.

Tom

Old May 25th 07, 03:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Curtis Croulet

Here in Arizona, the first signs of cloudiness from this same weather
mechanisim that plagues the TSP (which we rather hyperbolically call a
"monsoon" in the desert) begins in the last week of June.

Visit this website:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/twc/monsoon/monsoon.php

It has historical start dates for the monsoon in Tucson, which vary quite a
bit. There used to be a similar page for Phoenix (which uses a slightly
different dewpoint criterion due to its lower elevation), but I couldn't
find it during a quick search. We also see a change in weather in Southern
California, all part of the same jetstream shift. Here there's an end to
the so-called "June Gloom," persistent coastal cloudiness, and temperatures
get much warmer, particularly in the inland valleys.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old May 25th 07, 03:48 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jan Owen

"Curtis Croulet" wrote in message
[...]

In the southwest desert, earlier is more likely to be dryer and clearer...

You can get lucky in June (IF you're LUCKY), because monsoon onset is
usually not until July, but you're playing with fire (or clouds and lots of
moisture, as the case may be...)...

Since I'm not a regular player in TSP, it's probably better if I just don't
say ANYTHING...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3
http://community.webshots.com/user/janowen21

Old May 26th 07, 04:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Since I'm not a regular player in TSP, it's probably better if I just don't
say ANYTHING...

--
Jan Owen

I've never attended but it won't stop me from leaving a comment. I was
hoping to attend next year for the first time. I live 2000 miles away
and this move to June is really a turn off. The prospect of spending a
week trying to get out of the heat and having pretty much the shortest
nights possible is a real negative. Did they poll their attendees or
did someone unilaterally decide short nights and really hot days was a
great idea?

Alvan Clark