Moon phases and a thin crescent

Old July 24th 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

Default Moon phases and a thin crescent

Since the middle of July I found myself trying to capture more and
more waning Moon phases from the last quarter Moon on the 17th. I've
done this before (actually a much longer sequence which can be seen at
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/moonview5.html ). I do have a capture for
the 18th but seeing was poor and the result rather messes up the
sequence - I might have another go at it later. Anyway here's the
full sequence capture up to a very difficult thin crescent on the 23rd
July which was hampered with criss-crossing clouds.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/l2006/l...6-fullsize.jpg

Now, I thought the 23rd would be the end of the story, however...

This morning (24th) I got up early and took a look into the
north-east. I was somewhat surprised to see lots of clouds around. I
decided to hang on and keep an eye on what was happening. I knew the
Moon was in there somewhere but I couldn't see any stars to find my
way around. I saw Venus and decided to set up my telescope in my front
garden, just in case. At 04h00m UT I was tired and on the verge of
giving up. I still couldn't see stars but could see things around me
in the garden very clearly as the dawn was advancing fast. Suddenly,
between two thick cloud banks, I picked up a thin white line in my
binoculars and sprang into action...

A few tense moments when I had to move the telescope to avoid a lamp
post and a few snips at a straggly bush in the front garden (which now
has a rectangular section taken out of it!) and I had the incredibly
faint crescent in my finder. Moments later, there it was on my
computer screen - a sight as beautiful as any I've ever seen in the
sky. Small distant birds were flying across the giant crescent - an
awesome sight. Here's the end result...

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/l2006/2...13-14_flat.jpg

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old July 24th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

Pete Lawrence wrote:
Since the middle of July I found myself trying to capture more and
more waning Moon phases from the last quarter Moon on the 17th.

impressive. thank you.
Old July 24th 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Norbert

Pete Lawrence nous a donc écrit :

Since the middle of July I found myself trying to capture more and
more waning Moon phases from the last quarter Moon on the 17th. I've
done this before (actually a much longer sequence which can be seen at
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/moonview5.html ). I do have a capture for
the 18th but seeing was poor and the result rather messes up the
sequence - I might have another go at it later. Anyway here's the
full sequence capture up to a very difficult thin crescent on the 23rd
July which was hampered with criss-crossing clouds.

Original mounting of the pictures
Nice as usual, Pete.

--
Norbert. (no X for the answer)
======================================

Old July 25th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
oriel36

Your particular nasty habit of mixing moon phases with planetary phases
is sub-geocentric and ultimately destructive.

Changes in orbital orientation between planets in common heliocentric
motion shout out that changing phases indicate heliocentric
motion,dwelling on phases with a Ra/Dec system is lethal to the
information carried by changes in orbital orientation and recognition
of the Earth's orbital orientation changes in accordance with Keplerian
geometry and motion -

"When you speak of the components of motions, you speak of something
which is only imagination, and which does not exist in reality; for
nothing performs the circuits in the sky except the body ofthe planet
itself [Nihil enim in coelo circuit praeter ipsum corpusplanetae];
[there is] no orb [nullus orbis], no epicycle [nullus epicyclus];you,
who have been initiated into Tychonian astronomy should know that. Now,
if we adhere to the fundamental claim that noth-ing moves except the
body of the planet, the question then arises:what is the path traced
out by the circumvolution of this body[linea corporè circumeunte"
KEPLER

The Newtonian mutations of Copernican heliocentricity are far worse
than the Tychonic mutations,it gives rise to people who are
unapologetic about their sub-geocentric celestial
sphere.concepts.Unable to use orbital orientations,celestial phases
join the horror show which passes itself off as astronomy.

Meteorite Collision Warhol Misc 71 July 11th 06 04:55 AM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Misc 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM
The Apollo Moon Hoax FAQ v4.1 November 2003 Nathan Jones Misc 20 November 11th 03 07:33 PM