What next???

Old September 9th 06, 09:45 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Default What next???

Hi.

Now that Pluto has gotten the "boot", so to speak, what's next? I
suggest we make a few more revisions to our solar system plan. One
would be to rename the Earth (yep). "Earth" is not a good name in my
opinion, it's more of a description. I suggest it be given something a
little "cooler" or with a bit more "glamour", something less
descriptive (no words that mean "dirt" are allowed as they are
descriptive by nature). What do you think?

Old September 9th 06, 07:47 PM posted to sci.astro
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)[_1_]

Dear mike4ty4:

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi.

Now that Pluto has gotten the "boot", so to speak,
what's next? I suggest we make a few more
revisions to our solar system plan. One would be
to rename the Earth (yep). "Earth" is not a good
name in my opinion, it's more of a description. I
suggest it be given something a little "cooler" or
with a bit more "glamour", something less
descriptive (no words that mean "dirt" are allowed
as they are descriptive by nature). What do you
think?

My votes:
Terra
Home (pick the equivalent word your native language)

And the natives of these planets would be:
Terrans,
Homers?

David A. Smith

Old September 9th 06, 08:11 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc) wrote:
Dear mike4ty4:

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi.

Now that Pluto has gotten the "boot", so to speak,
what's next? I suggest we make a few more
revisions to our solar system plan. One would be
to rename the Earth (yep). "Earth" is not a good
name in my opinion, it's more of a description. I
suggest it be given something a little "cooler" or
with a bit more "glamour", something less
descriptive (no words that mean "dirt" are allowed
as they are descriptive by nature). What do you
think?

My votes:
Terra
Home (pick the equivalent word your native language)

And the natives of these planets would be:
Terrans,
Homers?

David A. Smith

_Too descriptive_. End of story. It's like calling your pet
rabbit "Rabbit".

Old September 10th 06, 12:29 AM posted to sci.astro
Robert Watson & Mary-Ann Parisi

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi.

Now that Pluto has gotten the "boot", so to speak, what's next? I
suggest we make a few more revisions to our solar system plan. One
would be to rename the Earth (yep). "Earth" is not a good name in my
opinion, it's more of a description. I suggest it be given something a
little "cooler" or with a bit more "glamour", something less
descriptive (no words that mean "dirt" are allowed as they are
descriptive by nature). What do you think?

Wasn't 'Minerva' already suggested some years ago as a neutral name for
Earth?

Old September 11th 06, 01:51 AM posted to sci.astro
tension_on_the_wire

wrote:
tension_on_the_wire wrote:
wrote:
Hi.

Now that Pluto has gotten the "boot", so to speak, what's next? I
suggest we make a few more revisions to our solar system plan. One
would be to rename the Earth (yep). "Earth" is not a good name in my
opinion, it's more of a description. I suggest it be given something a
little "cooler" or with a bit more "glamour", something less
descriptive (no words that mean "dirt" are allowed as they are
descriptive by nature). What do you think?

Well then call it Third of Eight. Or is that also too descriptive?
And what's wrong with descriptive anyway? That's what names in many
cultures are meant to be.

Too descriptive and too dumb sounding. Get some more imagniation and
think of something pretty. It doesn't have to be descriptive. "Mars" is
not
a description of the planet it refers to, nor is "Jupiter".

---tension

Well pardon me for being dumb-sounding. I guess you don't know sarcasm
when you hear it, but the point was that your question was pretty
dumb-sounding to begin with. Earth is not a description, it is a name.
It's descriptive properties come from being able to use the word earth
to describe things which are Earth-like. I mean, to suggest that the
name Earth means dirt, when in fact it is the other way around, that
the word earth, came from the name Earth, does give one the idea that
you are just arbitrarily trolling for some silly xenophobic
science-frisson pseudo-techno "cooler and glamorous" name which, if it
isn't descriptive, then has to be pretty much meaningless altogether,
in which case...what's the point? Gaia would be better than anything
you seem to be fishing for.

--tension

Old September 14th 06, 08:42 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

tension_on_the_wire wrote:
wrote:
tension_on_the_wire wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Well I didn't see your sarcasm maybe, but I did decidedto offer a
comment.
It's also a "fun" discussion too.

Then, if your theory is correct, produce the true etymology of the word
"Earth". PS. the Latin word, "Terra", means "a land". Based on the way
it sounds, it seems like it is related etymologically to "earth"
although I
might be wrong.