Greatest Newsgroup Contributor 2003!

Old December 30th 03, 12:16 AM
Gareth Slee

Default Greatest Newsgroup Contributor 2003!

Don't know quite know how this is going to work?

I've been posting / reading to usenet for a while now, and one thing is very
clear. There are contributor's who are friendly, helpful, knowledeable,
defensive, funny, annoying, cranky, trolling, argumentive, shy... and just
about every other human emotion there is.

I love them all...

I'm setting up a poll (stay with me on this) to find the most helpful usenet
contributor. I realise this is very subjective matter.

Define "helpful", I can't...
Perhaps, it's the person who always seems to be there when you need him/
her. The one with infinite patience, who always ignores the trolls, who
always encourages you?
You know who I mean...

I'll need at least 3 references for each nominee.

I'll be taking nominations until the 1st Januay 2004.

The poll will run until I'm bored with it.

Don't forget, this for fun and nothing else..., and my decision is final!

Email nominations to

Forward this post to other groups. I don't want to lose my account for cross
posting ;-)

--
Gareth Slee
http://www.sleefamily.com

It interrupts the natural flow of conversation.
How do you feel about top posting?

Old December 30th 03, 02:00 AM
Michael Walsh

Gareth Slee wrote:

[...]

I cast a vote for Henry Spencer.

His range of knowledge is vast and he is right almost all of
the time and is said to hand out T-Shirts to people who prove
him wrong.

I cannot verify this as I have never accomplished the feat.

On subjective opinions I don't believe he is any better than
the rest of it, but he is always polite and that puts him one
up on the rest of the field.

Mike Walsh

Old December 30th 03, 05:24 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Michael Walsh wrote:
...and is said to hand out T-Shirts to people who prove him wrong.

The famous T-shirts are virtual at the moment. However, if we ever do have
a physical s.s.h get-together -- it's been suggested at times, but to date
it hasn't materialized -- people are sure to want to make them real...
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old December 30th 03, 08:13 AM
Pat Flannery

Michael Walsh wrote:

I cast a vote for Henry Spencer.

Yup- that makes two votes for Henry; over a period of several years,
Henry has been hands-down the guy to beat in regards to info sent to
the newsgroup in regards to anything space-related; however- I would
like to cast a secondary vote for Sven Grahn; as his interest and
postings in regard to Soviet space missions provide a great and little
discussed resource regarding the various radio intercepts in regards to
the Soviet/Russian space program; and what can be deduced from them.

Pat

Old December 30th 03, 10:31 AM
Julian Bordas

Michael Walsh wrote in message

I cast a vote for Henry Spencer.

His range of knowledge is vast and he is right almost all of
the time and is said to hand out T-Shirts to people who prove
him wrong.

I second the nomination.

Julian
Old December 30th 03, 06:39 PM
John Pelchat

I have two nominations:

1. The ever popular Henry Spencer.

2. Jay Windley for a recent post regarding the color of the exhaust
from the Saturn V's F-1 engines.

Best

John Pelchat
Old December 30th 03, 07:19 PM
Gareth Slee

Only one ssh contributor is going to win here. That became obvious this
morning when I checked mail.

If however you'd like to vote for saa contributors then goto

http://www.garethslee.com/usenet.htm

Old December 31st 03, 01:00 AM
Nicholas Fitzpatrick

In article ,
Tarapia Tapioco wrote:
I nomenate Al Gore for his invention of the internet. Without his
contebution none of this would be possible.

Yeah, whZZ
Old December 31st 03, 01:41 AM
Andrew Gray

In article , rk wrote:
Pat Paulsen: Common, ordinary, simple savior of Usenet's destiny.

Some googling gives me... um, well, on sci.space.* it gives me your old
..sig - I can't help but feel I'm missing something here.

--
-Andrew Gray