1000 years from now

Old December 26th 03, 06:45 PM
Gareth Slee

Default 1000 years from now

Wouldn't it be great to be around 1000 years from now?

Participating in a tour of Mars visiting all the succesful landing sites.
Also it would be interesting to visit the failed landing sites. I'd love to
know what happened to some of those landers.

Will these sites be kept free of human contact? I can just see a group of
American tourists clambering all over the Sojourner while their friends join
the queue for the local McDonalds ;o)

--
Gareth Slee
http://www.sleefamily.com

Old December 26th 03, 09:39 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:45:23 -0000, "Gareth Slee"
wrote:

Wouldn't it be great to be around 1000 years from now?

Well if you begin in the 50s and go through the 60s, 70,s and so on
and then extrapolate out a thousand years we'll probably be spending
half the national GNP to loft a ten pound satellite and the booster
will be assembled one atom at a time, be made of diamond and iridium,
and will take two hundred years to go from drawing board to launch.
Old December 26th 03, 10:19 PM
Hallerb

Well if you begin in the 50s and go through the 60s, 70,s and so on
and then extrapolate out a thousand years we'll probably be spending
half the national GNP to loft a ten pound satellite and the booster
will be assembled one atom at a time, be made of diamond and iridium,

Sad that was my exact thoughts too
Old December 26th 03, 10:43 PM
Dale

wrote:

Wouldn't it be great to be around 1000 years from now?

Well if you begin in the 50s and go through the 60s, 70,s and so on
and then extrapolate out a thousand years we'll probably be spending
half the national GNP to loft a ten pound satellite and the booster
will be assembled one atom at a time, be made of diamond and iridium,
and will take two hundred years to go from drawing board to launch.

On the bright side, failures would be very infrequent...

Dale
Old December 27th 03, 12:30 AM
Scott Lowther

wrote:

Wouldn't it be great to be around 1000 years from now?

Well if you begin in the 50s and go through the 60s, 70,s and so on
and then extrapolate out a thousand years we'll probably be spending
half the national GNP to loft a ten pound satellite...

Actaully. what's mroe likely is that we'll be spending 5000% of the GDP
annually on Social Security and Welfare programs. The Haitians will be
putting more into orbit than the US.

Oh... wait. *1000* years. I thought it was *100* years.

In *that* case... by that point, there will be no launches from Earth to
orbit, as the Greens will have taken over the world, and nothing larger
than a cockroach will be left alive on the planetary surface.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old December 27th 03, 05:02 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message
Sad that was my exact thoughts too

I'm more interested in your exact research on NASA management prior to Feb
1, 2003.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old December 28th 03, 03:16 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:02:57 -0500, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

"Hallerb" wrote in message
Sad that was my exact thoughts too

I'm more interested in your exact research on NASA management prior to Feb
1, 2003.

So what are you implying? That since management changed we're going
to go back to the good old days of the sixties where we actually got
things done? Or are you saying that things are going to slow down
even more (if that's possible)?