What's wrong with there being ETs (smarter than us none the less)

Old August 23rd 07, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

Default What's wrong with there being ETs (smarter than us none the less)

On Aug 22, 5:29 pm, mike3 wrote:
On Aug 4, 6:21 am, BradGuth wrote:

On Aug 3, 9:43 pm, mike3 wrote:

On Jul 6, 3:12 pm, BradGuth wrote:
snip massive posting

Your whole thing is based on a flawed assumption you made
about my case. You thought I didn't think extraterrestrial
life/intelligence could exist. I did not say that at all. Rather I
simply pointed out errors or places where your case was
found wanting.

I want lots of things to happen, especially on behalf of whatever's so
nearby as Venus.

Heh. I think I meant that the case had some deficiency in logic
or facts.

Lack of logic or facts is what got us into Iraq, and obviously you and
others of your kind have no moral problems with any of that.

Even if there was intelligent life discovered on Titan, Europa or some
other godforsaken moon, for decades or perhaps not for another century
could we manage to safely get ourselves to/from such places, much less
for what good or rather whatever bad would it do us.

? If that was discovered, then it would have to be believed,
since it would be proven.

Well obviously we can't argue againt that analogy, can we. Although,
many of your kind think that America should be in charge of all global
energy that's fossil or yellowcake, even if it's unproven that such
energy reserves are going to ever be utilized against us.

Maybe they could _live_ on Venus but they sure as heck
would not have _evolved_ there.

Oddly, I've never once insisted that such other intelligent life as
having been existing/coexisting on Venus was of their own local
evolution. I just never discounted the possibility, especially since
Venus as obviously been impacted by a good number of cosmic items
(seemingly more so than Earth), whereas there's actually quite a good
number of such impacts that would have transported all sorts of nifty
substances (including spores and possibly even complex DNA) into that
relatively newish (proto-Earth) like planet.

It is possible Venus may have had life in the past when it wasn't
so harsh. But there does not appear to be any sign of anything
now.

Right, as in having such a massive tarmac, along with a complex
community of rather substantial structures and a rather nifty bridge
are apparently just a butt load of those hot rocks going wild against
all odds of what's know to be possible via nature and gravity. Are
you nuts?

A more likely candidate for
native life of some sort would have to be Europa, as it may
have oceans of liquid water. Titan or similar might also
work since they have oceans of hydrocarbon compounds,
which is the stuff that is used to get life, although how a
bio-chemistry at the low temperatures there with
hydrocarbon solvents may work is not clear.

I agree, especially if a given planet or moon has a lively cache of
local energy to burn (sort of speak). Venus has lots of spare/surplus
and fully renewable energy to burn, as in how many clean (nonfossil,
nonyellowcake, nonsolar) teraWatts would you like.

What sort of fuel would be available? Heat in the atmosphere?
Thermodynamics says you need a temperature difference to
set up a heat engine. You can't just pull the heat out of the
atmosphere and use that as a source of energy. There
seem to be volcanoes on Venus, suggesting it may still have
geothermal energy inside, but then again the Earth also has
volcanoes on it, and geothermal energy in there.

May I ask what powerful naysay drugs you're on?

Why are you into excluding the off-world use of those regular laws of
physics?

Why can't you folks (aka rusemasters and pretend atheists) read from
what has been posted dozens if not hundreds of times thus far?

That very active planetology of Venus is absolutely chuck full of
spare/renewable energy, as in mega, giga and even if need be of
teraWatts can be extracted on the spot, that is unless you're not
quite as smart as a hot rock. Do I really need to run through each of
those the physics-duh worth of energy extraction methods available?

You totally ignored all the discussion about biochemistry
and instead focused on stuff like energy use, civilization,
etc. that all happen _after_ life has gotten started and evolved
up to the point where that is possible.

I'm talking about intelligent other life, where as you're still stuck
in the muck along with whatever's the slime or moldy worth of microbes
or perhaps limited spore worthy life.

How are we not intelligent, anyway? We are discussing
BIOLOGICAL evolution here. What suggests our
BIOLOGICAL evolution is not high enough (that's
physical evolution of our genetics, bodies, brains, etc.
not of society, civilization, etc.)?

You are the one that talking of purely "BIOLOGICAL evolution", where
as I'm talking of intelligent other life as existing/coexisting on
Venus, of which purely "BIOLOGICAL evolution" as is may in fact be a
little tough on normal DNA, that is unless you've become thermally
robust and otherwise intelligent enough as to apply physics on behalf
of surviving in spite of your environment getting so freaking hot and
nasty, but at least otherwise chuck full of spare/renewable energy.

Well guess what, I've always
stipulated that without those little terrestrial diatoms, as such we
wouldn't even be here, and if we somehow manage to lose our existing
populations of such diatoms is when we'll not survive upon this planet
for long, regardless of how much energy there is to spare. So, I
totally agree with your argument, that such minimal forms of life have
to exist/coexist first, that is unless smart ETs are out and about
doing their planetology pillaging and/or terraforming thing, in much
the same as eventually humans will be importing/exporting whatever to/
from various other planets or moons.

I suppose if one could synthesize all the stuff one needs to survive
one could potentially then live without such organisms, but before
you can reach that stage of technology you have to go through
the stage where we are at right now. Makes some sense, doesn't it?

It makes perfect sense, especially if your species was smarter than us
humans about their surviving where your newish planet was so extra
alive and kicking from the inside out. You'd think motive for living
might actually play a small part in your survival expertise.

But I was discussing the environments where life could
_get_ started in the first place, especially complex life. As
a rule of thumb simpler life forms are going to be more
common and there are wider possibilities. This can be
seen on Earth where the toughest organisms are often the
simplest, for example the most radiation-resistant organism
here is a bacterium.

Just because Venus has been somewhat newish and thereby extra toasty
hot from the inside out, as such doesn't exclude forms of microbe life
from taking hold, especially if there has been an influx of panspermia
via those rather obvious impacts, as having unavoidably contributed
something.

Somewhat newish? What's that mean? It's pretty much as
old as every other planet in this little star system. Also,
it can't be based on "ordinary" biological compounds since
those disintegrate at over 200 degrees or so.

At 20.5 w/m2, Venus has been losing roughly 256 fold more of it's core
energy than Earth. If that's not of sufficiently newish planetology,
then what other is? Go figure.

That's not to say complex, intelligent forms cannot arise but
the possible choice of environments is going to be limited.
Of course it is possible there may be a great many planets
out there with those environments and we'd be none the
wiser simply because we've never been there yet!

That's also 100% exactly my deductive point of view, and as such it
goes right along with my deductive observationology of what's
seemingly existing in plain sight, as having been that of intelligence
existing on Venus.

But I never suggeste Venus would be the type of environment
to look at. Like I said the choice of environments is going to be
limited, especially when you throw in that intelligence criterion.

There's no argument from myself that Venus is simply not suited to
accommodating naked humans, especially of those stuck so deeply within
their own naysayism of being dumbfounded past the point of no return.

In addition, among those intelligent forms their level of
intelligence probably varies. Some may be smarter than us,
but some may be at the same level or even dumber.
Stars and planets of all ages abound in the universe.

Personally, I don't believe other forms of intelligent life can ever
be as dumb and bumber than humanity, much less nearly as totally
snookered and subsequently dumbfounded past the point of no return.

Every civilization evolves through the point we are at now,
just as no adult has ever been without a childhood. Since
there are stars and planets of all ages throughout the
universe we should find them at all levels of development.
We also did not have to make the choices we did as we
have free will, we were not compelled irresistibly by
biology or other unchangeable factors. It is like the growth
of the child I mentioned. He begins wild, untamed. As he
grows he acquires wisdom, and becomes more peaceful,
and better. That is the truth. Wisdom, although some of
our civilization has learned it, there is also a lot that has not,
and it is sadly this part that has any real "power".

If each and every other possible realm of intelligent other life has
to go through the very same cultivated incest of arrogance, greed and
bigotry as of our human species, then perhaps there is no other
intelligent life within the entire universe because, within the next
thousand years we humans will likely be no more, as well as mother
Earth will have become as nearly lifeless as Mars, if not worse off
from the lethal/toxic remainders of WWV or WWVI.

However, being smarter than us has nothing to do with any lack of
microwave/RF communications or of interplanetary capability. Just
their surviving on Venus would represent their being a whole lot
smarter than most all of Earth's humanity combined, as well as I'd say
the same on behalf of whatever life had been existing/coexisting on
Titan or Europa would seriously impress the living hell out of
myself.
- Brad Guth

But that would mean they were not indigenous to there.

So what?

Like I said, they all have to go through this stage and if the
planet of origin cannot support that then they cannot get
past it since they can't get TO it. You cannot get intelligent
life evolving NATIVELY to a planet like Venus, plain and
simple, end of story. If there is any life it would be
EXTREMELY simple. Unless you want to call a bacterium
that can survive mega doses of radiation really "smart",
even though it's the bacterium's genetics that make it
so tough...

How the freaking hell did Venus become so radioactive? Are you nuts?

Obviously you and your silly faith-based kind do not belive in
panspermia (of spore, microbe or forbid complex DNA worthy), much less
in ETs.

BTW, there are terrestrial rad-hard microbes, some of which might have
survived their having to exist on Mars.
-
Brad Guth

Old August 23rd 07, 08:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Aug 22, 5:33 pm, mike3 wrote:
On Jul 6, 3:44 pm, Joe Strout wrote:

In article . com,

mike3 wrote:
Carbon, for one, is quite likely to play a significant role simply
because
it is the only element that really can do all the complex gymnastics
needed for life. This is due to PHYSICAL LAW. Quantum physics --
the physics that controls atomic and molecular phenomena -- descibes
how the rules of chemistry come about. Other candidates like silicon
just do not seem capable of the stuff carbon can do, making life based
on it, much less INTELLIGENT life, highly unlikely.

And water is the universal solvent -- it's hard to beat. Other
solvents do not work as well in other places.

To be fair, our view of this may be biased by our own experience (and in
particular, with what passes for "room temperature" on our planet.
There's probably a lot of chemistry that takes place at much colder or
hotter temperatures that we've barely scratched the surface of, in
comparison, simply because we only encounter those conditions in the lab
rather than being immersed in them every day for all of history.

So, I remain agnostic on whether there are other chemistries that can
support life as well as carbon and water.

It is possible, perhaps, but the complexity is the question. See it's
all
about Complexity. As a rule, the higher the temperature, the less
complicated the molecules can become. The really complicated
molecules of biology therefore have a low max temperature.
And there are only a few elements that can actually support
complicated structures -- carbon is the best one. The close
cousin, silicon, is still not stable enough in those configurations.

I have no arguments against any of that. Of Venus originated/evolved
life may in fact be highly complex, as I'd said being extensively
exoskeletal comes into mind.

Therefore, how exactly are the intelligent forms of life on Venus
getting around those pesky thermal issues?
- Brad Guth

Old August 25th 07, 04:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
John Griffin

BradGuth wrote:

On Aug 21, 11:00 am, John Griffin
wrote:
A wind of one to three m/s on Venus would exert more force
than a bad storm on Earth.

That's true, except that it's typically not nearly that 2 to 3
m/s windy on Venus,

You have to design for the worst case, depending on how long you
want it to last, i.e., prepare for a 100-year storm if you need
it for a hundred years.

although a vertical terrain induced
updraft is certainly worth looking into, not to mention those
S8+CO2 gas vents of perhaps 100+ m/s.

Where did you get that idea?

Besides, why not
utilize those nifty pressure and thermal differentials that
exist as is? - Brad Guth

Because there's nothing to use them on/for/against.

Old August 26th 07, 05:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

wrote:
A wind of one to three m/s on Venus would exert more force
than a bad storm on Earth.

That's true, except that it's typically not nearly that 2 to 3
m/s windy on Venus,

You have to design for the worst case, depending on how long you
want it to last, i.e., prepare for a 100-year storm if you need
it for a hundred years.

I can't argue against that logic, whereas the perfect Venus surface
storm of perhaps 5 m/s as drawn from 100 bar at 75+ kg/m3 could be the
worse case, especially if there's a vertical terrain feature that's in
charge of boosting and otherwise sustaining that velocity. However,
I'm still thinking of those km tall wind tunnels that's naturally
boosted by roughly a differential of 4+ bar(60 psi) worth of hot S8
and CO2, plus having a thermal differential of 10 k, and the radial
turbine that's having to deal with the likely vertical delivery
velocity of at least 32 m/s seems hard to pass up.

although a vertical terrain induced
updraft is certainly worth looking into, not to mention those
S8+CO2 gas vents of perhaps 100+ m/s.

Where did you get that idea?

The 100 m/s is my best deductive SWAG (terrestrial volcanic venting of
S8 and for accommodating certain plastic/[fluid rock] can exceed 300 m/
s if not reaching 500 m/s, whereas Old Faithful being worth a wussy 70
m/s), however the research pertaining to Venus by John Ackerman was
actually suggesting of a somewhat greater than geothermal steam vent
exit velocity, whereas each of these S8 gas venting domes of 65 km in
diameter is very much suggesting of something fairly geothermal
significant.

Besides, why not
utilize those nifty pressure and thermal differentials that
exist as is? -BradGuth

Because there's nothing to use them on/for/against.

There you go again, excluding those regular laws of physics and
ignoring the best available science in order to suit your perverted
mindset, as well as acting exactly like another very bad Yid or
Jewboy. Shame on you and your silly naysayism towards all that's off-
world.
- Brad Guth

Old August 26th 07, 11:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Aug 22, 6:03 pm, mike3 wrote:
On Jul 24, 6:14 pm, BradGuth wrote:

On Jul 24, 4:44 pm, American wrote:

On Jul 22, 6:00 am, BradGuth wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:54 pm, American wrote:

Atoms have *their own* gravitational fields which can be
harvested for interstellar propulsion. That's completely
and unabashedly *outside* the box of Einstein's theory
of relativity, as it relates to the not-quite quantum field
theory of the 50's...

But because you are such a good little Yiddish puppet, as such there's
absolutely nothing good that'll ever come of whatever your research
might have to offer, and to think that outcome doesn't even bother
your mindset because, puppets are just what they are.
-BradGuth

Your own answer is a direct reflection of your reaction to the
possibilities
that actually *do* exist for interstellar propulsion. And, as far as
being a
"puppet", lining ducks up in a row for nothing but a cheap shooting
match
doesn't really phase me in the least. Let's cut the crap and get down
how some of this technology requires us to become emboldened, not
only to ourselves and each other, but to the infinite possibilities
of
awakening that dream in as many believers of the technology that -
- will even doubt our physics with their own original revisions.

American

"that - will even doubt our physics with their own original
revisions"?????

Interstellar travels or panspermia on behalf of accommodating our
frail DNA needs a serious butt load of physical shielding, either by
the likes of thick salty ice or via whatever artificial means.

And if you can cancel out gravity, what's the problem with it?
Or build a warp drive?

A Sirius Oort cloud displaced item that's made and/or forced into
heading itself our way is what offers that potential kind of icy
protection (icy proto-moon like) which could accomplish such a
daunting task of getting complex and even intelligent DNA safely from
one star/solar system over to another.
-BradGuth

But that would also require lots of energy to propel, wouldn't it,
since it's so heavy? So what'd be the difference between doing
that and building it right here?

Lots of energy is somewhat relative when you're already in a fast
enough binary elliptical orbit to start off with, that only gets
better yet if our solar system were cruising nearby every now and
then.

The much bigger interstellar what-if problem is putting on the breaks
once having migrated as a rogue planet or icy moon into the next
available solar system. A little lithobraking encounter seems
necessary if that rogue item were ever going to stick with a given
planet.

Our local Oort cloud that offers the icy likes of Sedna and quite
possibly having hosted a once upon a time item of a 4000 km icy proto-
moon with a 7.35e22 kg rocky core much like our moon is also
technically doable, although our somewhat wussy little sun simply
doesn't have the holding attraction of what the Sirius binary or
possibly trinary system had to offer, especially prior to Sirius B of
5X solar mass going white dwarf, essentially flaming down to a single
solar mass, with the other 4 solar mass having pushed outward to
becoming the required exit energy is what seems perfectly doable if
you were in the right place at the right time.
- Brad Guth

Old August 27th 07, 12:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Aug 22, 6:03 pm, mike3 wrote:
On Jul 24, 6:14 pm, BradGuth wrote:
Interstellar travels or panspermia on behalf of accommodating our
frail DNA needs a serious butt load of physical shielding, either
by the likes of thick salty ice or via whatever artificial means.

And if you can cancel out gravity, what's the problem with it?
Or build a warp drive?

I don't understand. Why "cancel out gravity"? Why build a "warp
drive"?

Why not just cancel out human naysayism? (at least that's doable)

Why not allow those regular laws of physics to function off-world.

How would yourself utilize a few spare megaWatts or gigaWatts worth of
clean and renewable energy, such as on behalf of surviving on Venus?

BTW, how would you survive a interstellar migration while onboard a
rogue planet or moon, without benefit of a thick layer of ice or
without salt?
- Brad Guth

Old August 27th 07, 12:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Aug 22, 5:57 pm, mike3 wrote:
On Jul 22, 4:00 am, BradGuth wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:54 pm, American wrote:

Atoms have *their own* gravitational fields which can be
harvested for interstellar propulsion. That's completely
and unabashedly *outside* the box of Einstein's theory
of relativity, as it relates to the not-quite quantum field
theory of the 50's...

But because you are such a good little Yiddish puppet, as such there's
absolutely nothing good that'll ever come of whatever your research
might have to offer, and to think that outcome doesn't even bother
your mindset because, puppets are just what they are.
-BradGuth

Does this mean you hate Jews? What's all this stuff
about "Jewish", "Yiddish" stuff anyway?!

I hate bad Jews, bad Yids and most Zionist that downright suck. How
about yourself?

So then you are contributing to the crappiness of
this little planet with more hate. Hmm, so why do
you grouse about it so much? Maybe you could
tell him how to break free of the puppeting. Could
you do that?

In other words, no matter how bad and nasty Jews and Yids get, you
just love each and everything they do, all the way back to their
having Jesus Christ put on a stick, just like you love each and
everything our resident LLPOF warlord(GW Bush) does. My goodness,
aren't you a ripe piece of ****ology at work, just the way Hitler
likes your kind to be. No wonder WWIII is unavoidable.
- Brad Guth

Old August 27th 07, 12:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Aug 22, 6:04 pm, mike3 wrote:
On Jul 22, 4:00 am, BradGuth wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:54 pm, American wrote:

Atoms have *their own* gravitational fields which can be
harvested for interstellar propulsion. That's completely
and unabashedly *outside* the box of Einstein's theory
of relativity, as it relates to the not-quite quantum field
theory of the 50's...

But because you are such a good little Yiddish puppet, as such there's
absolutely nothing good that'll ever come of whatever your research
might have to offer, and to think that outcome doesn't even bother
your mindset because, puppets are just what they are.
-BradGuth

I thought you wanted more open, non-mainstream views.
Well there's some, and yet you go and mash on it.

Our "American" (aka samuelran) as a usenet mole/spook or whatever the
hell kind of rusemaster that silly hocus-pocus usenet name represents,
is usually so far off-world that not even the best imagination on LSD
can hold its own. Silly me, I'm looking for the right here and now,
of what's doable as is, starting as of more than a decade ago none the
less.

Our moon's L1 has been a perfectly doable robotic platform as of 4+
decades ago, yet there's no such science platform in sight, is there.

The Venus L2(VL2) POOF City has been doable as a viable interplanetary
depot/gateway for more than a decade. Accomplishing Venus by way of a
composite rigid airship has been humanly doable within existing
technology, and there's lots more where that came from.

Global warming as directly contributed by way of our salty old moon is
more than just doable, especially because ever since the last ice age
this planet will ever see, it's obviously still ongoing as we speak,
that is unless you're got a better idea as to where that 2e20 J per
second by second worth of energy is going.

BTW, if I were in charge, the out of box research likes of "American"
would likely become 50/50 funded, with damn few if any strings (other
than honesty) attached. I actually have a very extensive list of
ongoing research topics that's other than mine, of which such research
efforts would receive the same 50/50 worth of public funding. How
about yourself, if put in charge, as for what if any funding would you
provide to the likes of "American"?
- Brad Guth

Old August 27th 07, 11:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
American

On Aug 26, 7:47 pm, BradGuth wrote:
On Aug 22, 6:04 pm, mike3 wrote:

[...]

- Brad Guth- Hide quoted text -

Some, if not all of your self-defined "Yiddish" puppeteers would have
their field day with your sell-out to the back pockets of the
rusemasters, a.k.a. Dun & Bradstreet, PTO, friends and the like. Why?
Transnationalist capital IS the SATRAP from afar, the RE-TESTER
of people for your ready made Yiddish "Job" and the like. Why? In your
own words, "they'd have to put Christ on a stick" for being "made new
by the renewing of your mind" rather than accepting the BLOOD COVENANT
of the human prototype, who IS the ALPHA and OMEGA of ALL TIME. So,
why is their no portended technological backlash from those who are
destined to follow through with their snobbish mechanizations? Why?
"Where there is NO VISION, a people perish" will be the epitaph of our
current dumbed down, watered down, monied down technological culture
if we continue down the same old path of self made satisfaction,
rather than agreeing in principle, at least to provide more research
into "Propulsion Applied Electrogravitic Crystallography", in order to
tear down the walled-in mindsets that are preventing us from achieving
a greater earth-to-orbit culture and civilization.

Why else were we given a human progenitor for the cosmos?

American

Old August 28th 07, 01:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

On Aug 22, 6:04 pm, mike3 wrote:

[...]

American- Hide quoted text -

Once we've mastered our somewhat salty old moon from the inside out,
and of its nifty L1 zone from which the future likes of VL2 POOF City
can most easily come to past, is when we'll see into the greater off-
world potential, and especially once assisted by that of the moon's L1
with the 256e6 tonne CM/ISS of the LSE(lunar space elevator).

Technically, it'll be easier to establish VL2 POOF City than my full
blown LSE-CM/ISS that's utilizing our moon's L1. Besides, we may
first need to relocate our moon out to Earth's L1 before it's too
late.
- Brad Guth