Laymans question regarding Orion

Old July 21st 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
yellowwolf

Default Laymans question regarding Orion

Chaps and Chapesses
Last year in South Africa and Botswana in November I could see Orion quite
clearly.
Is this normal in the Southern Hemisphere and if so why ?
Thank you
Steph

--
In regione caecorum rex est luscus

Old July 21st 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Gaz

yellowwolf wrote:
Chaps and Chapesses
Last year in South Africa and Botswana in November I could see Orion quite
clearly.
Is this normal in the Southern Hemisphere and if so why ?
Thank you
Steph

--
In regione caecorum rex est luscus

If it was "upside down" then it's perfectly normal.;O)

Old July 21st 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Andy Guthrie[_1_]

yellowwolf wrote:
Chaps and Chapesses
Last year in South Africa and Botswana in November I could see Orion quite
clearly.
Is this normal in the Southern Hemisphere and if so why ?
Thank you
Steph

The belt of Orion is almost exactly on the celestial equator, meaning
that you can see at least half of Orion from any point on the Earth's
surface, even the South Pole.