astroscan or bushnell voyager

Old July 27th 03, 05:14 PM
A. Edwards

Default astroscan or bushnell voyager

Err - Russell Healey mumbled something like:
Is there something about the objective cell being over tight on these
and the focusser being plastic?
Maybe it depends on which version of the scope you get (Helios,
Celestron etc..)??
SCS Astro do the Helios version on an EQ1 mount plus accessories for
£159 which I think is very good value and indeed I am considering
getting one.

If the objective lens is overtight, I'm not sure what effect it would
have on the view through the eyepiece anyway. I know that many
astronomers have it as a quick look portable scope. Perhaps it
doesn't matter that the focusser is plastic - it is only a cheap (but
not nasty!) scope.

-Russell Healey

My Helios 80mm f/5 has a *metal* focusser, *plastic* objective cell. Yes,
it was a little overtight at some point in it's life - the doublet dividing
pads have slipped a little. Works perfectly though. I like it :O) In
fact, it site on the pier at this very moment, rather than the LX10 :O)

Arthur

52:30:25N, 1:17:51E
http://www.ambermile.co.uk

---

Old July 27th 03, 06:21 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Russell Healey wrote:
Is there something about the objective cell being over tight

This is sometimes the case. Easy to remedy. The 80f5 yahoo group has the
usual mods in the file section.

on these and
the focusser being plastic?

The focuser is metal. It is also T2-threaded, so that a camera may be
directly connected via a T-ring.

Maybe it depends on which version of the scope you get (Helios, Celestron
etc..)??

No, the difference is the "livery" and the accessories.

Best,
Stephen

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +