ASTRO: High contrast moon

Old September 27th 07, 03:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

Default ASTRO: High contrast moon

Yep, still around ;-) Lot of leeching though, seeing all those great
photographs!! :-)

For my scope nothing much to see/photograph last fe months: moon is too low
as are the planets and in wrong part of the sky for me.
So did a remake from my best shot(s) so far: the 26 part moon mosaic from 24
May this year.
This time enhancing contrast, some color and some little other things on
each shot and stiched them together. Goal was to enhance detail.

Bynostar 130-900 Newton, 25 mm eyepiece, FujiFilm S5500 hybride camera.
26 x RAW, ISO64, 1/8 sec, f/3.1.
RAW processing in Photoshop, mosaic made with AutoStitch.

--
Menno
=====================

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0524_225643_small.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	1260
Old September 27th 07, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Nice like it!
As we say in holland : mooie foto!

gr
Dirk

--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

Old September 27th 07, 06:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

TheCroW wrote:
Yep, still around ;-) Lot of leeching though, seeing all those great
photographs!! :-)

For my scope nothing much to see/photograph last fe months: moon is too low
as are the planets and in wrong part of the sky for me.
So did a remake from my best shot(s) so far: the 26 part moon mosaic from 24
May this year.
This time enhancing contrast, some color and some little other things on
each shot and stiched them together. Goal was to enhance detail.

Bynostar 130-900 Newton, 25 mm eyepiece, FujiFilm S5500 hybride camera.
26 x RAW, ISO64, 1/8 sec, f/3.1.
RAW processing in Photoshop, mosaic made with AutoStitch.

Well done controlling the wide range of brightness from terminator to
limb and still maintaining good contrast.

I can't recall now what software you use to make the mosaics. It does a
very good job of hiding the seams and matching the contrast and levels
of the various images. Or do you do that by hand? I can't do it by
hand for two images, let alone 24!

Rick

Old September 27th 07, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

[...]

Yes, that was my goal indeed to get that overall view and contrast :-)

And no, not by hand. I use a free program called AutoStitch for it. Info and
download on http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
And yes, it does a great job. In this case it stitched together 26 JPG
images of 1.3 Mb each ... the whole proces took around 7 minutes on my
system.

Menno

Old September 27th 07, 08:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

TheCroW wrote:
[...]

I need more sleep. I see you mentioned Autostitch in the original post
and I missed it. I can't tell from the pay version websites if they
support 16 bit TIFF or only 8. 16 would be preferable. Free version
doesn't support TIFF at all. Though for putting together some JPGs from
our trip to Canada this summer it will sure help. No matter that I set
the camera for fixed exposure it still shows seams where the sky color
doesn't match. This should fix that problem. Now to find the time!
This computer is 5 years old so a snail by today's standards. But I
won't be stitching that many frames so it should survive. Most of my
image processing is done on the observatory laptop which is 4 times
faster than this machine but again, nearly 2 years old so a bit slow by
today's standards.

Thanks,

Rick

Old October 16th 07, 08:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

Thanx!! :-)
You the same Hawkeye as from the 3D newsgroups?

Menno