Launch of NASA's Parker Solar Probe

Old August 13th 18, 02:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Launch of NASA's Parker Solar Probe

"Running a day late, a United Launch Alliance heavy-lift Delta 4 rocket thundered
away from Cape Canaveral early Sunday, boosting NASA’s $1.5 billion Parker Solar
Probe into space on a daring seven-year mission to “touch the sun” with repeated
trips through the star’s blazing outer atmosphere.

Passing within 3.8 million miles of the sun’s visible surface — well within the
shimmering halo of the outer atmosphere, or corona — the spacecraft’s heat shield
will endure 2,500-degree heating while whipping past the star at a record 430,000
mph, fast enough to fly from New York to Tokyo in less than a minute.

The goal is to help scientists figure out what makes the corona hotter than the
sun’s visible surface and what accelerates charged particles to enormous
velocities, producing the solar wind that streams away from the corona in all
directions."

See:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/08/1...toric-mission/
Old August 13th 18, 03:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote in message

[...]

You know, I just realized, we can actually make a joke about them launching
a solar probe at night!

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/

Old August 13th 18, 04:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

JF Mezei wrote on Sun, 12 Aug 2018
23:17:03 -0400:

On 2018-08-12 22:32, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/08/1...toric-mission/

You know, I just realized, we can actually make a joke about them launching
a solar probe at night!

A few months ago, I was told sending somethin to the sun was impossible
because woulf require way too much energy).

So leaving earth, what direction is the Parker probe in such that it
will have elliptical orbits around the sun as per the graph in the above
article?

Is it heading straight for the sun? Or a combination of stright to the
sun AND opposite Earth's orbit around the sun to drop its orbit around sun ?

Jesus, will you learn something about basic orbits?

territory."
--G. Behn
Old August 13th 18, 07:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Niklas Holsti

On 2018-08-12 22:32, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/08/1...toric-mission/

You know, I just realized, we can actually make a joke about them launching
a solar probe at night!

A few months ago, I was told sending somethin to the sun was impossible
because woulf require way too much energy).

_Landing_ on the Sun (that is, reaching the edge of the photosphere at
rest wrt to the Sun, and not in orbit) requires some 600 km/s of delta-v.

The Parker probe will not land on the Sun; it goes into a very eccentric
elliptical orbit with the perihelion quite close to the Sun.

And it took a hulking big launcher, plus AIUI an extra final rocket
stage, to give this small probe enough delta-v for that.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
Old August 13th 18, 09:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Niklas Holsti

On 2018-08-13 02:47, Niklas Holsti wrote:

And it took a hulking big launcher, plus AIUI an extra final rocket
stage, to give this small probe enough delta-v for that.

My question pertains to what direction this delta-v is being applied.
Straight to the sun to cause elliptical orbit?

or retrogade to slow the proble's speed around the sun so it drops orbit?

The Parker orbit diagrams shown in eg. Wikipedia all have an aphelion at
the Earth's orbit, not farther from the Sun. This suggests that the
launch delta-v is fully or mainly retrograde, orthogonal to the
probe-Sun line, resulting in an elliptical orbit with an aphelion at the
launch distance (Earth orbit). Later, gravity assists from Venus seem to
reduce the aphelion distance somewhat (as well as reducing the
periohelion, as intended).

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
Old August 13th 18, 11:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On 2018-08-13 02:47, Niklas Holsti wrote:

And it took a hulking big launcher, plus AIUI an extra final rocket
stage, to give this small probe enough delta-v for that.

My question pertains to what direction this delta-v is being applied.
Straight to the sun to cause elliptical orbit?

or retrogade to slow the proble's speed around the sun so it drops orbit?

The Parker orbit diagrams shown in eg. Wikipedia all have an aphelion at
the Earth's orbit, not farther from the Sun. This suggests that the
launch delta-v is fully or mainly retrograde, orthogonal to the
probe-Sun line, resulting in an elliptical orbit with an aphelion at the
launch distance (Earth orbit). Later, gravity assists from Venus seem to
reduce the aphelion distance somewhat (as well as reducing the
periohelion, as intended).

The delta-v was as you said parallel to Earth's orbit in the retrograde
direction but you can't deduct that from the aphelion because there is a
Venus gravity assist manoeuvre on the first orbit.

Alain Fournier
Old August 14th 18, 07:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Niklas Holsti

On 2018-08-13 02:47, Niklas Holsti wrote:

[...]

Yes, but that Venus fly-by seems to have only a small effect on the
orbit, judging from the diagrams, and even the initial part of the orbit
seems to be almost tangential to Earth's orbit rather than crossing it.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
Old August 15th 18, 12:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On 2018-08-12 22:32, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/08/1...toric-mission/

You know, I just realized, we can actually make a joke about them launching
a solar probe at night!

A few months ago, I was told sending somethin to the sun was impossible
because woulf require way too much energy).

It's actually going to orbit the sun, just very close. It won't
actually dive into the sun.

So leaving earth, what direction is the Parker probe in such that it
will have elliptical orbits around the sun as per the graph in the above
article?

Is it heading straight for the sun? Or a combination of stright to the
sun AND opposite Earth's orbit around the sun to drop its orbit around sun ?

It's not headed straight there. It's got several (I forget how many)
Venus flybys in order to attain the necessary velocity to get as close
as they want to get. You know you could find this stuff if you looked.
Google is your friend.

Jeff
Old August 15th 18, 12:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
lid says...

On 2018-08-12 22:32, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/08/1...toric-mission/

You know, I just realized, we can actually make a joke about them launching
a solar probe at night!

A few months ago, I was told sending somethin to the sun was impossible
because woulf require way too much energy).

_Landing_ on the Sun (that is, reaching the edge of the photosphere at
rest wrt to the Sun, and not in orbit) requires some 600 km/s of delta-v.

The Parker probe will not land on the Sun; it goes into a very eccentric
elliptical orbit with the perihelion quite close to the Sun.

And it took a hulking big launcher, plus AIUI an extra final rocket
stage, to give this small probe enough delta-v for that.

Don't forget the multiple Venus flybys. Even Delta IV Heavy plus a
solid kick stage wasn't enough to get directly into the desired orbit.

Jeff