North Korea Fueling rocket

Old April 2nd 09, 02:29 AM posted to sci.space.tech,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default North Korea Fueling rocket

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ket/index.html

Now the question I have is what the fuel and oxidizer are.

I'm guessing kerosene or some derivative, but what about the oxidizer. If
they're fueling today and not launching for 3-7 days, LOX seems a poor
choice due to boil-off, no?

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old April 2nd 09, 12:27 PM posted to sci.space.tech,sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

:
:http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ket/index.html
:
:
:Now the question I have is what the fuel and oxidizer are.
:
:I'm guessing kerosene or some derivative, but what about the oxidizer. If
:they're fueling today and not launching for 3-7 days, LOX seems a poor
:choice due to boil-off, no?
:

The fuel is reportedly a 20/80 mix of gasoline and kerosene (TM-185).
Oxidizer is apparently 27/73 mix of dinitrogen tetroxide and nitric
acid with some stabilizer added (AK-27I).

They're standard compositions used in a number of old Soviet-era
rockets.

--George Bernard Shaw

Old April 2nd 09, 12:27 PM posted to sci.space.tech,sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

OM wrote:

:On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 21:29:31 EDT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:
:
:http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ket/index.html
:
:Now the question I have is what the fuel and oxidizer are.
:
:....Do we have any sort of nomeclature for this, such as a "Short March
:III" or "Kim's Joystick 2"?
:

Taepodong-2.

:
:I'm guessing kerosene or some derivative, but what about the oxidizer. If
:they're fueling today and not launching for 3-7 days, LOX seems a poor
:choice due to boil-off, no?
:
:....Weren't the NK's using RFNA?
:

Yep. AK-27I

Old April 2nd 09, 07:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Now the question I have is what the fuel and oxidizer are.

Since it's largely based on Scud technology, it's almost certainly
hypergolic; there's discussion of its engines he
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/dprk/td-2.htm

Pat
Old April 2nd 09, 11:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On Apr 1, 5:29*pm, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...a.rocket/index....

Now the question I have is what the fuel and oxidizer are.

I'm guessing kerosene or some derivative, but what about the oxidizer. *If
they're fueling today and not launching for 3-7 days, LOX seems a poor
choice due to boil-off, no?

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Could just as easily be h2o2+synfuel.

~ BG
Old April 3rd 09, 02:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,alt.astronomy,alt.politics
Jonathan

Default North Korea....SHOOT THE ROCKET DOWN!

Claim it was off course and heading for Japan, or whatever.

Just shoot the f'ing N. Korean rocket down so they don't have
a success and feel safe. Their govt is a running crime against
humanity and its leader is a lunatic.

The free world has every right to protect itself from the criminal
gang in North Korea.

It'll be a good test of our missile defenses.

Old April 3rd 09, 02:56 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,alt.astronomy,alt.politics
M.Butzin[_2_]

wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...a.rocket/index....

Now the question I have is what the fuel and oxidizer are.

I'm guessing kerosene or some derivative, but what about the oxidizer. If
they're fueling today and not launching for 3-7 days, LOX seems a poor
choice due to boil-off, no?

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Could just as easily be h2o2+synfuel.

~ BG

Crash a remote controlled 747 into the launch site........oops!
Old April 3rd 09, 03:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,alt.astronomy,alt.politics
BradGuth

wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...a.rocket/index....

Now the question I have is what the fuel and oxidizer are.

I'm guessing kerosene or some derivative, but what about the oxidizer. If
they're fueling today and not launching for 3-7 days, LOX seems a poor
choice due to boil-off, no?

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Could just as easily be h2o2+synfuel.

*~ BG

I agree, if it even remotely hints as being less than 100% under
control for a satellite launch, it should be terminated. A good field
test for our 100 MW ABL might be advisable.

~ BG
Old April 3rd 09, 04:40 AM posted to sci.space.tech,sci.space.policy
BradGuth

wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...a.rocket/index....

Now the question I have is what the fuel and oxidizer are.

I'm guessing kerosene or some derivative, but what about the oxidizer.

If
they're fueling today and not launching for 3-7 days, LOX seems a poor
choice due to boil-off, no?

Could be using h2o2+synfuel. (one hell of a kick)

~ BG

Old April 3rd 09, 02:47 PM posted to sci.space.tech,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...a.rocket/index....

Now the question I have is what the fuel and oxidizer are.

I'm guessing kerosene or some derivative, but what about the oxidizer.

If
they're fueling today and not launching for 3-7 days, LOX seems a poor
choice due to boil-off, no?

Could be using h2o2+synfuel. (one hell of a kick)

~ BG

Unlikely to be such a drastic change of fuel, and no, it won't give
'one hell of a kick'. H2O2 combinations all have a relatively low
specific impulse.

North Korea Launches! Double-A Misc 21 July 7th 06 01:05 AM
Dark skies in North Korea robert casey Amateur Astronomy 7 March 25th 05 09:26 PM
Nuclear test in North Korea? Sky-High Amateur Astronomy 21 September 14th 04 07:33 PM
Satellites and North Korea Richard Amateur Astronomy 5 September 14th 04 12:27 AM