Former Astronaut Says Space Goals Need Revision in New Book

Old January 25th 06, 06:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station

Default Former Astronaut Says Space Goals Need Revision in New Book

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message

Well, I like the idea about looking for water. Makes me wonder if one of
the 6 lunar missions couldn't have tried one of the poles for exactly
that. When we do go back, looking for natural resources should be the
priority and not flags and footprints.

Yes, this is the best counter to the "been there, done that" argument
against a return to the moon. All of the Apollo missions landed on the
nearside, and not terribly far from the equator. We have yet to explore the
poles. We have yet to make a farside landing (a communication satellite in
a halo orbit about L-2 would be helpful here). We have yet to stay
overnight, which would mean having a power supply good for two weeks.

There's plenty of unfinished business on the moon.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs