Getting rid of GK

Old February 28th 05, 09:53 PM
Bill Leslie

Default Getting rid of GK

I used to have a dial-up connection so I rarely took a peek at this
Newsgroup.
Then I got Broadband so I began to check in regularly, hoping I might learn
something.
GK came along, so it made looking up this group pretty pointless.
But... if you look at the Messages Menu, you can block a sender, so I
blocked GK.
Unfortunately, some of you chaps who should know better keep taking his bait
so I still have to read his rubbish.
Why don't you all give me a break, ignore him and let this group get back to
the purpose for which it was created.
Maybe all these clouds will go away so it won't matter what rubbish appears
here.
Bill

Old February 28th 05, 11:16 PM
John Tanner

Bill,
I agree but I advise that you file an abuse report with his ISP
and ) to try to get rid of him once and
for all.
John

Old March 1st 05, 12:25 AM
Tim Hicks

Bill Leslie wrote:
I used to have a dial-up connection so I rarely took a peek at this
Newsgroup.
Then I got Broadband so I began to check in regularly, hoping I might learn
something.
GK came along, so it made looking up this group pretty pointless.
But... if you look at the Messages Menu, you can block a sender, so I
blocked GK.
Unfortunately, some of you chaps who should know better keep taking his bait
so I still have to read his rubbish.
Why don't you all give me a break, ignore him and let this group get back to
the purpose for which it was created.
Maybe all these clouds will go away so it won't matter what rubbish appears
here.
Bill

I agree with John. An abuse report is probably the best option here.
Even the worst trolls get fed up with switching between ISPs after a while.
A guide to abuse reporting can be found at;
http://thorweb.anta.net/irt/abuse-report-clues.shtml

The signal to noise ratio in this ng is generally pretty good (way above
average), and it's been cloudy, so sometimes there's a little fun to be
had. Ultimately though, it's best to encourage them as little as
possible, and if they cross the line (as this one has) report them.

Ironically, in my attempts to understand his obscure gripes and obtuse
rants, I have learnt an awful lot more about his pet hate than I knew
previously (partially through research, and partly through members of
this ng - thanks). I probably wouldn't have got round to this for some
time if he hadn't turned up.
So, I guess some good has come from him after all!

One other thing, I notice you're using OE for your newsgroup access. One
of the things that drove me away from OE is the poor (and intermittent!)
message filtering.
Personally, I'm giving Thunderbird a trial at the moment, and it's going
pretty well. There are plenty of others to use though (check a few post
headers to see what everyone else uses).
For the last few days I've seen nothing from him, and any of his new
threads have been ignored no matter who replies (a quick check of my
filter log confirms he's still very much at large).

Tim

Old March 1st 05, 02:15 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , dated Mon, 28
Feb 2005 21:53:29, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Bill Leslie w.leslie@
nthellorntlworld.com posted :

GK came along, so it made looking up this group pretty pointless.
But... if you look at the Messages Menu, you can block a sender, so I
blocked GK.

Messages menu? Never seen one - but you are an MS OE user.

Never assume that everyone else is using the same news reader (or web
browser) as you are. However, suppressing a poster with a kill-rule
should be a common capability.

Even better, kill on googlegroups.com being in the header and
suppress not only all googlegroups users but also all responses to them.
I do not know whether OE has that capability.

Unfortunately, some of you chaps who should know better keep taking his bait
so I still have to read his rubbish.
Why don't you all give me a break, ignore him and let this group get back to
the purpose for which it was created.

Agreed.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old March 1st 05, 02:25 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article .com
, dated Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:16:56, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, John
Tanner posted :

I agree but I advise that you file an abuse report with his ISP
and ) to try to get rid of him once and
for all.

Policy of news:uk.* as a whole, and of this newsgroup (see FAQ at
http://www.astronomycentre.org.uk/UKSA/faq.htm) is to comply with
accepted Usenet standards.

That includes giving an attribution at the top of a follow-up, and
quoting as much of the previous as is justified to establish context -

Keith Thompson wrote in comp.lang.c, message ID
:-
the "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show
options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at
the bottom of the article headers.

Better, however, to get yourself a decent newsreader, or to choose a
standards-respecting service.

IMHO, KT's advice needs to be repeated in the FAQ.

Old March 1st 05, 06:10 PM
John Carruthers

Unfortunately, some of you chaps who should know better keep taking
his bait
so I still have to read his rubbish.

No you don't.

Why don't you all give me a break, ignore him and let this group get

back to
the purpose for which it was created.

Yes it's easy to block GK but until the clouds clear or UK legislation
makes it illegal I'll stick to troll coursing (I don't use dogs so
it's ok) :-)
I'm sooo near thee British troll baiting record too. :-)
jc

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

Old March 2nd 05, 02:11 AM
Tim Hicks

Dr John Stockton wrote:
JRS: In article , dated Mon, 28
Feb 2005 21:53:29, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Bill Leslie w.leslie@
nthellorntlworld.com posted :

GK came along, so it made looking up this group pretty pointless.
But... if you look at the Messages Menu, you can block a sender, so I
blocked GK.

Messages menu? Never seen one - but you are an MS OE user.

As I have already pointed out, there are better alternatives. Being an
OE user hardly means someone has to put up with Geralds bull**** though.

Never assume that everyone else is using the same news reader (or web
browser) as you are.

Agreed.

However, suppressing a poster with a kill-rule
should be a common capability.

Never assume that someone has the same usenet know-how that you do.

Even better, kill on googlegroups.com being in the header and
suppress not only all googlegroups users but also all responses to them.
I do not know whether OE has that capability.

Perhaps most important of all, never assume that someones ignorance of
usenet rules is indicative of their ignorance of astronomy. Personally,
I don't judge someone's astronomical expertise on their server.

Tim

Old March 2nd 05, 01:22 PM
John D. Tanner

Dr John Stockton wrote:
[...]

Dear John,

Does that mean that you agree with my post the you replied to (you
quoted it but then started talking about something else)?

It is the policy of this newsgroup to send abuse reports to the ISP of
offtopic posters/trolls (Section A, Subsection 7). I encourage all users
to do so for GK.

Regards,
John Tanner
Old March 2nd 05, 11:29 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , dated Wed, 2 Mar 2005
13:22:17, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, John D. Tanner
posted :
Dr John Stockton wrote:
[...]

No, it does not. Neither does it mean that I disagree.

It means what it says. That is why I wrote and quoted what I did.

It is the policy of this newsgroup to send abuse reports to the ISP of
offtopic posters/trolls (Section A, Subsection 7). I encourage all users
to do so for GK.

It says that one can complain; that is just a suggestion. IMHO, the
days when that was generally likely to be useful are long gone, except
where the offender is posting from a reputable institution or ISP.

It does say "If you must respond, please do so privately and not on the
newsgroup" - and that I consider as policy, like correct formatting
which you have achieved this time.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME ©
Web URL:http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html - Timo Salmi: Usenet Q&A.