Scopetronix defunct?

Old September 16th 06, 05:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
RMOLLISE

Default Scopetronix defunct?

Greg Crinklaw wrote:

I understand you have money at stake, but your lack of sympathy and
kindness is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Greg

Hi Greg:

Sympathy and kindness are commodities that are definitely in short
supply around here of late, that's for sure.

Of course, yes, I can understand people going apespit if they've been
ripped off/think they've been ripped off.

Course, in typical s.a.a. fashion, the largest portion of the people
jumping in with both feet to badmouth Jordan B. have probably never
even been to his website much less talked to or dealt with him.

As I said yesterday, is it my imagination, or did s.a.a. used to be a
NICER place?

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Author of:
Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
and
The Urban Astronomer's Guide
http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland

Old September 16th 06, 06:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

I understand you have money at stake, but your lack of sympathy and
kindness is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I don't see how I can show sympathy or kindness towards a rumor that
there might be a problem other than cash flow. When am I going to get a
little sympathy from this vendor for my loss? All it would take would
be a returned email.

I can understand people going apespit if they've been ripped off/think they've been ripped off. Course, in typical s.a.a. fashion, the largest portion of the people jumping in with both feet to badmouth Jordan B. have probably never even been to his website much less talked to or dealt with him.

I have talked to them on the phone once and ordered several times from
the site. Twice now I have lost money.

Old September 16th 06, 10:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
RMOLLISE

Hi Doug:

Since you've quoted two different folks here, it would be nice if you
indicated who said what (though Greg and I agree on _most_ things, I
guess ;-)). The first quote is from Greg Crinklaw, the second from me.

If you want to know what I think, I also thought your post was a little
callous. Which doesn't mean I think you are necessarily a bad person (I
don't know you, afterall), not that you should _care_ what I think,
anyway. ;-) My comment is simply that your post is the type of post
that makes s.a.a. increasingly seem like an unfriendly place. Maybe I'm
overreacting. Maybe I'm just a little too close to the situation. I've
known Jordan for some time, and he's done me more than one favor.

I didn't say _you_ were one of the people who didn't know diddly-squat
about Scopetronix, did I? I said "largest portion," which needn't
include you.

Old September 17th 06, 12:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Brian Tung[_1_]

Donal wrote:
As a small businessman, I must disagree with you.

You *will* know if your business is going under.

I think Greg's point is that we (i.e., SAA) don't know whether it's in
fact going under. That is merely one possibility, which admittedly is
advanced by the fact that there's some reluctance to make the relevant
circumstances public. Of course, there are other less unsavory reasons
why they might want to keep it private.

At any rate, lots of us know Jordan Blessing, and don't regard him as
someone likely to willingly bilk someone out of their hard-earned cash.
Of course no one condones taking orders when you know your business is
going down. On the other hand, I somehow feel like this is right about
the place for the "denial ain't just a river in Egypt" line.

Partly in answer to Rod's query, I don't know that SAA is less nice,
exactly, but it does seem to be less of a community than it used to be,
and there's higher turnover, and people (perhaps for good reason) don't
come in knowing whom to trust. All that might make it seem less
friendly to those of us who have been on here for several years.

Personally, I've only been on SAA for eight years, but I've been on
Usenet for about 17, and I think there are two main events that have
affected Usenet for the worse in that time: the rise of AOL and other
inexpensive national ISPs around 1993 or so, and the dot-com boom and
bust at the turn of the millennium. Both of these led to a vast influx
of new readers and posters to a community that had been largely academic
till then. I don't think that's necessarily bad--I think Usenet should
be available to all--but all the same, these folks *as a whole* seem to
have less interest in participating long-term in a community. SAA is
largely populated by the exceptions, but it doesn't take much of the
other kind to poison the well, I'm afraid.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html
Old September 17th 06, 12:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:54:40 -0400, in uk.sci.astronomy , Davoud
wrote:

C'mon -- what's the problem? If it were a secret the owner wouldn't
have told you.

Funnily enough, people /do/ tell friends and colleagues things they
don't tell complete strangers on the internet. Maybe some people think
that its ok to trumpet other peoples private lives all over the web,
but hopefully not everyone .

Would you continue to accept orders -- and bill PayPal -- if you could
not see your way to ship merchandise in a reasonable time?

You have no idea if thats what happened. I can envisage circumstances
in which you might accept an order in good faith and then be unable to
fulfill it. Heck, the company offices could have been burgled, or a
burned down with a family member inside, or whatever.

Some very small sellers have software order tracking, and Scopetronix
could have had, too.

Sure. but its too late, and unhelpful, to say that once you have the
problem to deal with. I didn't see anyone telling Scopetronix to do
this twelve months ago.
--
Mark McIntyre
Old September 17th 06, 01:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Stephen Paul

Donal wrote:

It is utterly dishonest to take money from people when you know that you are
unlikely to be able to deliver.

It is unlikely that's the case. Jordan is a friend to anyone he has ever
done business with. I am saddened by the possibility that he's no longer
going to be running ScopeTronix, and wish him well.

Old September 17th 06, 02:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer
Cloudcroft, New Mexico, USA (33N, 106W, 2700m)

SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
Comets: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/comets.html

To reply take out your eye

On a friendlier note (than some here have posted) I will say that I
loved riding through/past the Cloudcroft area on my way further out
west a few years ago on my motorcycle. What a beautiful region.
What a great place to live.

Blues

Live Free Or Die