Global warming on solar planets

Old September 23rd 05, 05:52 PM
G.Ross

"Craig Oldfield" wrote in message
news:MPG.1d9e3c4a7d22798b989a52@localhost...
In article ,
says...
Robert Geake wrote:
Global warming / greenhouse effect is a farce created by over qualified
scientists that could not find a job. They invented it so they can
claim
huge grants for research into a phenomenon that is purely natural!

Well, right there you have established yourself as an ignorant bigot.
No need to read on...

So how do you explain that some scientists claim the oceans are getting
colder, that most glaciers are not retreating etc? Who is to say that
climate change is not a natural phenomenon? Only 15-20 years ago, it was
claimed we were on the verge of a new ice-age so which group of
scientists is incorrect?
--
Craig Oldfield

You probably mean the 'Limited Nuclear War' that Reagan? and Gorbachov
were approaching when the scientists (Sagan? ++) did models and calculations
what a 'limited exchange' of ~10 Nuclear weapons *each would do to the
Global Climate. (That was ~25 years ago they did that.) That was to
produce a Nuclear Winter of 5-10? years, that would take out most species,
especially the most dangerous one...

Both the Antarctic and Arctic Ice caps are retreating as the Greenhouse
Model predicted. Those are already showing on Satellite Photos taken only
over the last 30 years. Bird and Animal migrations have already changed in
North Canada, and Major Fish Stocks (even without Euro dragger ships in
1980s) have changed in last 2 decades from the circa1600s patterns.

Perhaps New Orleans or Galveston are meditating on the Ice Age
approaching, although it's not clear yet if those 2 events were related, or
just a 'fluke of nature'. Flukes are not extinct yet.

(National Geograpic did an issue on Climate Change within the last year?
Places using Dirty Coal to make Electricity! and growing use of Carbon in
Asia as it becomes more 'advanced'. )
If Earth becomes another Venus, Mars doesn't have the Oxygen to support
us. And if it did we wouldn't send the Dumbest there to reproduce. Ask
Darwin.... /G.

Old September 23rd 05, 06:03 PM
Nick Mason

Greg Crinklaw wrote:
Robert Geake wrote:

Global warming / greenhouse effect is a farce created by over qualified
scientists that could not find a job. They invented it so they can claim
huge grants for research into a phenomenon that is purely natural!

Well, right there you have established yourself as an ignorant bigot. Ne
need to read on...

Oh, and PLONK.

His writing style may leave a little to be desired :O) but in essence
he may have a point. It may well prove that the global warming camp
have got it wrong and that while pollution caused by burning fossil
fuel is not a good thing it may turn out to be a very small drop in
the ocean when it comes to global warming. It won't be the first time
science has changed its mind, for a long time it was thought that the
sun went round the earth ad look at the problems Stephen Hawking has
had with his theories. Not so very long ago he was the darling of the
science community.

Our 100,000 year cycles between ice ages is well documented by
scientists all over the world, we are currently a mere 10,000 years
from the last one so are on the warm up cycle. Fossil remains have
been found to indicate that the UK was once as hot as Africa and if
the cycle continues will become so again in the future.

I'm prepared to keep an open mind.

--
Regards

Nick

Old September 23rd 05, 06:21 PM
M Holmes

G.Ross wrote:

"Craig Oldfield" wrote in message

So how do you explain that some scientists claim the oceans are
getting colder, that most glaciers are not retreating etc? Who is to
say that climate change is not a natural phenomenon? Only 15-20 years
ago, it was claimed we were on the verge of a new ice-age so which
group of scientists is incorrect? -- Craig Oldfield

You probably mean the 'Limited Nuclear War' that Reagan? and Gorbachov
were approaching

Huh? I must have missed that. Wehn exactly were they planning to give a war?

when the scientists (Sagan? ++) did models and
calculations what a 'limited exchange' of ~10 Nuclear weapons *each
would do to the Global Climate. (That was ~25 years ago they did
that.) That was to produce a Nuclear Winter of 5-10? years

I remember that. I also remember that before that we were taught in
school that another ice age was inevitable. When we were kids, the Ice
Age and Nuclear War were what adults feared. Now it's global warming, I
daresay the next generation will find something else to worry about.

FoFP

Q. What did the farmer say when Chicken Licken said "The sky is falling"?
A. "****! A talking chicken!"
Old September 23rd 05, 07:11 PM
DT

Sam Wormley wrote
wrote:
"Think about the CO2 emmited by a single volcano in a single year, then
think about
how many active volcanoes there are on the face of the Earth! "
Please don't keep us in suspense, when you do the calculation what
answer do you get? Is it significasnt compared with the amount of CO2
we produce by buring fossil fuels?
Robert

The fossil fuel burning is in *addition* to all the volcanism and
other sources of CO2.

Rubbish. All CO2 sources of biologic origin will be recycled eventually.
We are merely altering the time scale of that part of the process
relating to a tiny fraction of the CO2 in mineral deposits. If we are
altering the environment to the extent that we are making it harder to
survive, that is to the good of the species. If we are making it
impossible to survive, we don't have the means or global social
structure to prevent it.
Without good evidence, this remains a political, as well as a
hypothetical debate. What constitutes good evidence will become apparent
after the oil runs out, so we don't have too long to wait.;-)

Denis
--
DT
change nospam: n o s p a m
Old September 23rd 05, 07:20 PM
Greg Crinklaw

You guys seem to have missed my point, which wasn't at all about Global
Warming. My point is that anytime someone begins an argument by making
a sweeping attack against an entire group of people, they very likely
don't have a clue what they are talking about. Reasonable people stick
to a discussion of the evidence rather than spending their time making
childish misrepresentations regarding the motives of those who may
disagree with them. I have no interest at all in reading what
unreasonable people have to say, for my experience tells me that they
have nothing to offer. Clear now?

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
Comets: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/comets.html

To reply have a physician remove your spleen
Old September 24th 05, 03:00 AM
G.Ross

"M Holmes" wrote in message
G.Ross wrote:

"Craig Oldfield" wrote in message

So how do you explain that some scientists claim the oceans are
getting colder, that most glaciers are not retreating etc? Who is to
say that climate change is not a natural phenomenon? Only 15-20 years
ago, it was claimed we were on the verge of a new ice-age so which
group of scientists is incorrect? -- Craig Oldfield

You probably mean the 'Limited Nuclear War' that Reagan? and Gorbachov
were approaching

Huh? I must have missed that. Wehn exactly were they planning to give a
war?

Ronald Reagan vs. Gorbachov when U.S. and U.S.S.R. were in midst of an
arms race and Reagan suggested the possibility of a 'Limited Nuclear War'
being necessary (1980s). The scientists of the day developed some math
models of what such a 'limited exchange' would produce, and Nuclear Winter
was one result (and phrase coined by Carl Sagan etc.?) -- that actually they
suggested might last several **hundred years, not the *5-10 I typed in error
below...
The Dinosaur extinctions etc. are co-related with Platinum Iridium
layers of rock that were suggested to be result of Comet Collisions? kicking
up enough dust to block out sunlight for numbers of decades?, and so provide
the equivalent of a nuclear winter, with the extinctions at each stage as
well.... Is *this still astronomy? :- /

when the scientists (Sagan? ++) did models and
calculations what a 'limited exchange' of ~10 Nuclear weapons *each
would do to the Global Climate. (That was ~25 years ago they did
that.) That was to produce a Nuclear Winter of 5-10? years **--G.--
this part was error/

I remember that. I also remember that before that we were taught in
school that another ice age was inevitable. When we were kids, the Ice
Age and Nuclear War were what adults feared. Now it's global warming, I
daresay the next generation will find something else to worry about.
FoFP

My grade 12 physics teacher told us (1962) that man would never get into
space because 'there is No Air to push off of !! ' :- The fact though
that some of our teachers or previous scientists were idiots, I don't think
should be reason enough to assume that ALL Current ones, have to be, as a
pre-requisite. That's not a fair assumption, nor I dare say, accurate.
G. //