Sky at niight - with Patrick Moore.... but only just

Old September 14th 04, 08:54 PM
Lawrence

Default Sky at niight - with Patrick Moore.... but only just

Am I the only person somewhat disappointed that the last edition of SaN had
Patrick barely introduce and end the program? His name was not even mentioned
in the Radio Times listing of SaN!

A sorry sign of the times.

Lawrence

Old September 14th 04, 09:03 PM
Androcles

"Lawrence" lawrence@astronomer wrote in message
| Am I the only person somewhat disappointed that the last edition of SaN
had
| Patrick barely introduce and end the program? His name was not even
mentioned
| in the Radio Times listing of SaN!
|
| A sorry sign of the times.
|
| Lawrence
Well, the old boy is getting on a bit... I daresay he'd like to retire.
Androcles.

Old September 14th 04, 09:57 PM
Paul Evans

"Lawrence" lawrence@astronomer wrote in message
Am I the only person somewhat disappointed that the last edition of SaN
had
Patrick barely introduce and end the program? His name was not even
mentioned
in the Radio Times listing of SaN!

A sorry sign of the times.

Lawrence

Indeed, it does rather look as if Sir Patrick is being phased out doesn't
it?

Paul.

---

Old September 14th 04, 10:38 PM
mike ring

Lawrence lawrence@astronomer wrote in
:

Am I the only person somewhat disappointed that the last edition of
SaN had Patrick barely introduce and end the program? His name was
not even mentioned in the Radio Times listing of SaN!

A sorry sign of the times.

Lawrence

I expect it will be taken over by Sue Lawley or Fiona Bruce and become

"Fiona/Sue's Sky at night" and feature C-list celebs

mike
Old September 14th 04, 11:05 PM
Sir Loin Steak

"Lawrence" lawrence@astronomer wrote in message
Am I the only person somewhat disappointed that the last edition of SaN

had
Patrick barely introduce and end the program? His name was not even

mentioned
in the Radio Times listing of SaN!

A sorry sign of the times.

Lawrence

I've only ever watched The Sky At Night once. I don't think I have
understood a word he's ever said.

Quite why people hold him in such high regard I don't know. Just because
he's presented all but one show for the past goodness knows how long? I've
never had a day off sick in my working life. I wonder if I'll be mentioned
on the news if I do?

Get rid of him I say, and get someone who; a) looks less frightening, and b)
can be understood without having to put subtitles on.

Your opinions may differ to mine!

---
This message has been certified Virus Free by some very clever boffin at
Grisoft.

Old September 14th 04, 11:41 PM
Andrew Urquhart

*Sir Loin Steak* wrote in uk.sci.astronomy:
[snip]
This message has been certified Virus Free by some very clever boffin at
Grisoft.

I use AVG too, it's a great little program, but I do have trouble seeing
the point in advertising that plain text messages are virus free.
There's the more important issue though that it can be misleading.
Firstly a compromised email server somewhere between you and the
recipient could add an infected attachment to your certified email or
convert your email to HTML form and add script that exploits holes in
HTML email programs like Outlook Express. Secondly there's nothing to
stop a virus-laden email from simply stating the same "Outgoing mail is
certified Virus Free" message. In both cases recipients could be
tricked into opening attachments or viewing HTML emails with exploits
in them because they didn't understand such complexities and believed
the "virus free" message was true to its word. On the other hand it's a
great marketing aid for Grisoft!

Increasingly anti-virus programs are only effective if kept constantly
up-to-date. IIWY I'd set your scheduled virus database updates to the
minimum 1-day period - the latest version is 2004-09-13 and there are
usually new updates every day.
--
Andrew Urquhart
- FAQ: http://www.astronomycentre.org.uk/UKSA/faq.htm
Old September 14th 04, 11:42 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Sir Loin Steak
writes

Your opinions may differ to mine!

They may. And they confirm my feeling that it's usually worth kill
filing people who hide behind silly nicknames.
BTW, your signature file isn't properly formatted and your virus
database is woefully out of date.

---
This message has been certified Virus Free by some very clever boffin at
Grisoft.

What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.
Old September 15th 04, 12:15 AM
Sir Loin Steak

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...
In message , Sir Loin Steak
writes

Your opinions may differ to mine!

They may. And they confirm my feeling that it's usually worth kill
filing people who hide behind silly nicknames.

Telling you my real name still won't change the fact that I don't like
Patrick Moore. I apologise if I've upset the astronomy gods, but that's life
I guess.

BTW, your signature file isn't properly formatted and your virus
database is woefully out of date.

I know!

---

Old September 15th 04, 12:17 AM
Sir Loin Steak

"Andrew Urquhart" wrote in
message ...
*Sir Loin Steak* wrote in uk.sci.astronomy:
[snip]
This message has been certified Virus Free by some very clever boffin at
Grisoft.

snip

Yes, I know it's a bit out of date! I'm updating it at the moment.

As for the 'This message has been certified Virus Free', I have no idea how
to get rid of it. It only appears once I've pressed sent, so I can't just
delete it. Any help much appreciated!

---

Old September 15th 04, 12:27 AM
Andrew Urquhart

*Sir Loin Steak* wrote in uk.sci.astronomy:
As for the 'This message has been certified Virus Free', I have no idea how
to get rid of it. It only appears once I've pressed sent, so I can't just
delete it. Any help much appreciated!

Open the "AVG Control Center" window via the AVG program icon in the
system tray, choose the 'E-mail Scanner' tab, choose the 'Advanced
Settings' button, choose the 'Outgoing mail' tab and untick 'Certify
outgoing messages'.