lightning

Old July 15th 03, 01:34 AM
Das

Default lightning

Taking the idea from that world leading astrophotographer
extraordinare, who amazed us with his photos a month or two ago, to
shouts of "Astronomy sucks, bring on the ligthning (it's easier)" (yes,
that means you Ms Pete Lawrence, BSc!), I thought I'd have a go...

Here are my (decent/lucky) results:

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/lightning/

Note that, as soon as Martin got around to setting up his Toucam, the
storm ended - ha ha!

Cheers!
Das

PS Pete's BSc refers to his Bronze Swimming certificate (100m, with
armbands)..!

Old July 15th 03, 04:15 AM
Das

Note that, as soon as Martin got around to setting up his Toucam, the
Poor Martin! Which one are we talking about - there are sooo many!

Nice to see I'm not the only one to notice this! Why are there so
many Martins? I'm think a quarter of the worlds population, and half
the astronomers, are called Martin!

I was refering to CfDS Martin.

Leics Uni Physics has 4 Martins (2 of which are now profs), and the
computer operator used to be called Martin.

Anybody remember the Monty Python Bruce sketch?
[John Cleese in an australian accent]
"Your name's not Bruce?"
[Terry Gillian in English accent]
"Ermmm, no, it's Martin"
[JC]
"That could cause a bit of confusion. Mind if we call you Bruce,
instead?"

Is that what an Hons degree in Physics with Astrophysics is equivalent

Yep, the worth of those bits of paper fell dramatically at some point in
the mid 80's...

Old July 17th 03, 12:00 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Das" wrote in message

Taking the idea from that world leading astrophotographer
extraordinare, who amazed us with his photos a month or two ago, to
shouts of "Astronomy sucks, bring on the ligthning (it's easier)" (yes,
that means you Ms Pete Lawrence, BSc!), I thought I'd have a go...

Here are my (decent/lucky) results:

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/lightning/

Very nice,

Certainly more spectacular than a chimney with fairy lights on it ;-) No
chance that said chimney got struck by lightning is there? (God's
retribution on light polluters perhaps?)

Robin

Old July 17th 03, 12:00 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:34:46 +0059, Das
wrote:

Taking the idea from that world leading astrophotographer
extraordinare, who amazed us with his photos a month or two ago, to
shouts of "Astronomy sucks, bring on the ligthning (it's easier)" (yes,
that means you Ms Pete Lawrence, BSc!), I thought I'd have a go...

Here are my (decent/lucky) results:

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/lightning/

Very nice indeed !

Note that, as soon as Martin got around to setting up his Toucam, the
storm ended - ha ha!

Poor Martin! Which one are we talking about - there are sooo many!

PS Pete's BSc refers to his Bronze Swimming certificate (100m, with
armbands)..!

Is that what an Hons degree in Physics with Astrophysics is equivalent
to these days. Sheesh - talk about dumbing down.

Stellar Atmospheres lecture 1
The Sun is bright and yellow. Problem class: Draw a nice picture of
the Sun.

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk

Old July 17th 03, 01:40 PM
Chris.B

Das wrote in message . ..

Here are my (decent/lucky) results:

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/lightning/

Cheers!
Das

Nice pictures. Are those the tallest streetlamps in Europe?

Chris.B

Old July 17th 03, 01:52 PM
Doug Ellison

"Chris.B" wrote in message
om...
Das wrote in message

. ..

Here are my (decent/lucky) results:

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/lightning/

Cheers!
Das

Nice pictures. Are those the tallest streetlamps in Europe?

Chris.B

Oh dont - Leicester is just SO VERY VERY bad for light pol. it's not even
funny

Doug