Tank Pressurization on Starship

Old May 23rd 20, 09:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Tank Pressurization on Starship

On 2020-05-23 8:41 AM, David Spain wrote:
There is a lot we don't
know here. 1) The configuration of the pressurization pipes vis-a-vis
the tanks, 2) presuming there is more than one engine performing tank
pressurization, how the pipes come together and the manifold and
regulator structure being used to join them, etc. I'll keep digging, see
what I can find for that. You can too.

So far the best pictorial I can come up with is he

https://i.stack.imgur.com/H4RtH.png

Which doesn't really show the pressurization plumbing as far as I can
see. Note the smaller tanks inside the larger tanks. As I understand it
these are NOT for pressurization, but to provide pressurized propellant
for the return trip. They can be smaller because you are not using as
much propellant for the return leg. Seems to be missing the first stage
(Super Heavy) LOX return tank, maybe because they did a cut out of the
base? You can clearly see them both in Starship.

Dave
Old May 23rd 20, 09:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 2020-05-23 4:46 PM, David Spain wrote:
So far the best pictorial I can come up with is he

https://i.stack.imgur.com/H4RtH.png

Oh and some further interesting discussion he

https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...led-propellant

Dave

Old May 24th 20, 10:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message
David Spain wrote:
Seems to be missing the first stage
(Super Heavy) LOX return tank, maybe because they did a cut out of the
base? You can clearly see them both in Starship.

The Super Heavy has a very big LOX feed pipe to the engines which holds
enough for the landing so no additional tank needed.

Anthony

Old May 24th 20, 07:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 2020-05-24 5:36 AM, Anthony Frost wrote:
In message
David Spain wrote:
Seems to be missing the first stage
(Super Heavy) LOX return tank, maybe because they did a cut out of the
base? You can clearly see them both in Starship.

The Super Heavy has a very big LOX feed pipe to the engines which holds
enough for the landing so no additional tank needed.

Anthony

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Dave

Tank Pressurization on Starship David Spain Policy 2 May 23rd 20 08:29 PM
Nervy pressurization method Pat Flannery History 6 November 17th 06 04:54 PM
Russian Soyuz Landing Capsule Has Pressurization Problem During Descent Jim Oberg Space Station 6 October 15th 05 07:26 PM
French Starship Chris SETI 3 August 9th 05 06:45 AM
Propellant pressurization Iain McClatchie Technology 14 February 1st 04 03:29 AM