Twin Quasar in Ursa Major

Old March 24th 07, 02:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default Twin Quasar in Ursa Major

Dear Group,

Here is a beautiful example of gravitational lensing with quasar QSO
0957+561 in Ursa Major. I was disappointed by the poor transparency and
noticeable winds but I still managed to capture the two components which
are separated by a mere 6 arc-seconds and with respective magnitudes of
16.5 and 16.7.

For those interested, please see
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-QSO-0957+561.htm .

Clear skies!

Anthony.
Old March 24th 07, 05:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Davoud[_1_]

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Here is a beautiful example of gravitational lensing with quasar QSO
0957+561 in Ursa Major. I was disappointed by the poor transparency and
noticeable winds but I still managed to capture the two components which
are separated by a mere 6 arc-seconds and with respective magnitudes of
16.5 and 16.7.

For those interested, please see
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-QSO-0957+561.htm .

Beautiful indeed, as usual for you. But you are using up all of the
Quasars and by the time skies clear around here there will be none left
for the rest of us. Not that I have the skill to grab them anyway.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Old March 24th 07, 08:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Ben

Anthony,

Yet another extraordinary image!

You have got to slow down in this quasar quest because
we are all running out of superlatives.

Ben

Old March 24th 07, 09:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Iordani

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Dear Group,

Here is a beautiful example of gravitational lensing with quasar QSO
0957+561 in Ursa Major.

Could you explain the gravitational lensing part.
I know what it is, but how does it apply to your picture?

Old March 24th 07, 10:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

On 24 Mar, 01:33, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:
Dear Group,

Here is a beautiful example of gravitational lensing with quasar QSO
0957+561 in Ursa Major. I was disappointed by the poor transparency and
noticeable winds but I still managed to capture the two components which
are separated by a mere 6 arc-seconds and with respective magnitudes of
16.5 and 16.7.

Mere 6"? C'mon... 6" it's rather unchallenging, even for your AP.

Andrea T.

Old March 24th 07, 12:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Ioannis

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" wrote in message

Dear Group,

Here is a beautiful example of gravitational lensing with quasar QSO
0957+561 in Ursa Major. I was disappointed by the poor transparency and
noticeable winds but I still managed to capture the two components which
are separated by a mere 6 arc-seconds and with respective magnitudes of
16.5 and 16.7.

For those interested, please see
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-QSO-0957+561.htm .

Antoni,

Beautiful! Just to give us some idea about the visual capabilities of the AP:
Did you try to discern this quasar visually? Is it possible, or did you just
aim and shoot? I suspect 16.5 might be outside the visual range.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

--
I.N. Galidakis --- http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/

Old March 24th 07, 02:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
RMOLLISE

On Mar 24, 6:29 am, "Ioannis" wrote:
[...]

With a 160mm telescope?! This is a VERY challenging object in a 300mm.
If he saw it visually, he must have ducked into a phone booth and
changed into his red and blue uniform and cape first. ;-)

Unk Rod

Old March 24th 07, 04:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anthony Ayiomamitis

RMOLLISE wrote:
[...]

I did not even bother due to the magnitude of the components (16.5 and
16.7). As Rod says, it is either Superman's uniform (and eyes) or the
highway.

Anthony.

Unk Rod

Twin Quasar in Ursa Major Anthony Ayiomamitis Amateur Astronomy 16 March 26th 07 11:17 AM
Ursa major Dave B UK Astronomy 5 September 26th 05 08:45 PM
Ursa Major Moving Group of Stars Magnificent Universe Amateur Astronomy 1 February 26th 05 03:27 AM
predicting 4 major hurricanes in Florida 2005 and 5 major hurricanesin 2006 nightbat Misc 6 January 17th 05 02:28 PM
Postcard from space: The spiral galaxy M81 in Ursa Major (Forwarded) Andrew Yee News 0 July 3rd 03 07:27 PM