Could Albert be wrong?

Old September 25th 11, 12:44 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Robert Clark

Default Could Albert be wrong?

On Sep 23, 10:39*am, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 9/23/11 3:56 AM, G. L. Bradford wrote:

* A proper question is how slow is slow in space? What exactly is the
zero of velocity that 300,000kps is measured out from?

* *There is no absolute state of motion or rest. Whether a body is
* *in motion are at rest depends strictly on the point of view of
* *the observer.

That is the current scientific theory. Of course a preferred frame
could be found tomorrow for all we know.
For instance there was a report this year that suggested the universe
could be spinning. Then there would be an axis of rotation and so
likely also a center:

Is the Universe Spinning?
Analysis by Ray Villard
Fri Jul 8, 2011 06:22 PM ET
http://news.discovery.com/space/do-w...se-110708.html

Bob Clark

Old September 25th 11, 01:18 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 9/24/11 6:44 PM, Robert Clark wrote:
On Sep 23, 10:39 am, Sam wrote:
On 9/23/11 3:56 AM, G. L. Bradford wrote:

A proper question is how slow is slow in space? What exactly is the
zero of velocity that 300,000kps is measured out from?

There is no absolute state of motion or rest. Whether a body is
in motion are at rest depends strictly on the point of view of
the observer.

That is the current scientific theory. Of course a preferred frame
could be found tomorrow for all we know.

Well it started before Galileo, who stated it. Since there is no
absolute references in space-time, there is no absolute coordinate
system--no absolute motion.

For instance there was a report this year that suggested the universe
could be spinning.

Spinning with respect to what?

No Center
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/nocenter.html
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/infpoint.html

Also see Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html

WMAP: Foundations of the Big Bang theory
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni.html

WMAP: Tests of Big Bang Cosmology
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101bbtest.html
Old September 25th 11, 02:26 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Sep 24, 4:44*pm, Robert Clark wrote:
On Sep 23, 10:39*am, Sam Wormley wrote:

On 9/23/11 3:56 AM, G. L. Bradford wrote:

* A proper question is how slow is slow in space? What exactly is the
zero of velocity that 300,000kps is measured out from?

* *There is no absolute state of motion or rest. Whether a body is
* *in motion are at rest depends strictly on the point of view of
* *the observer.

*That is the current scientific theory. Of course a preferred frame
could be found tomorrow for all we know.
*For instance there was a report this year that suggested the universe
could be *spinning. Then there would be an axis of rotation and so
likely also a center:

Is the Universe Spinning?
Analysis by Ray Villard
Fri Jul 8, 2011 06:22 PM EThttp://news.discovery.com/space/do-we-live-in-a-spinning-universe-110...

*Bob Clark

Everything is always in orbit around something.

Zero velocity doesn't exist.

http://translate.google.com/#
Old September 25th 11, 02:47 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 9/24/11 8:26 PM, Brad Guth wrote:
Zero velocity doesn't exist.

My kitchen table has zero velocity with respect to my kitchen.
Whether an object has zero velocity or non-zero velocity strictly
depends on the point of view of the observer.

Old September 25th 11, 08:23 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Robert Clark

On Sep 23, 10:39 am, Sam *wrote:
[...]

IF it is spinning. It would be with respect to a center.

Bob Clark
Old September 25th 11, 08:29 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Robert Clark

On Sep 24, 9:47*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 9/24/11 8:26 PM, Brad Guth wrote:

Zero velocity doesn't exist.

* *My kitchen table has zero velocity with respect to my kitchen.
* *Whether an object has zero velocity or non-zero velocity strictly
* *depends on the point of view of the observer.

The fact that you and your kitchen table do not have zero velocity
with respect to the center of the Earth has important and measurable
physical effects, specifically because the Earth is spinning.

Bob Clark
Old September 25th 11, 10:11 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Wolf Norman

On Sep 23, 10:39 am, Sam wrote:
[...]

you mean axis, but you need
to stay outside to see it
Old September 25th 11, 10:16 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Wolf Norman

On Sep 25, 3:47 am, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 9/24/11 8:26 PM, Brad Guth wrote:

Zero velocity doesn't exist.

My kitchen table has zero velocity with respect to my kitchen.
Whether an object has zero velocity or non-zero velocity strictly
depends on the point of view of the observer.

wrong, the state of the observable

thats the whole point with an observation,
to see whether the observable is moving or not
Old September 25th 11, 08:05 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 9/25/11 2:23 AM, Robert Clark wrote:

IF it is spinning. It would be with respect to a center.

Bob Clark

You confuse center of rotation with rotation reference such as
the "fixed stars".