Neutrinos recorded travelling faster than speed of light!

Old September 23rd 11, 04:07 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Neutrinos recorded travelling faster than speed of light!

On 23/09/2011 5:42 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
A theory is based on logical reasoning.
Just stating "Nothing moves faster than light" is dogma.

I give you that stating 'All dogmas will fall' is also a dogma,
and probably with the current state of eeeehhhhh mind ... of
humanity all dogmas it holds will not fall before the species goes extinct.
But that still leaves Einsteins a dogma.

Or perhaps you didn't bother to review the experiments that came before
Einstein that were leading to the conclusion that Einstein came to?

Yousuf Khan
Old September 23rd 11, 04:39 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Marvin the Martian

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:07:24 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

On 23/09/2011 5:42 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
A theory is based on logical reasoning. Just stating "Nothing moves
faster than light" is dogma.

I give you that stating 'All dogmas will fall' is also a dogma, and
probably with the current state of eeeehhhhh mind ... of humanity all
dogmas it holds will not fall before the species goes extinct. But that
still leaves Einsteins a dogma.

Or perhaps you didn't bother to review the experiments that came before
Einstein that were leading to the conclusion that Einstein came to?

Yousuf Khan

If Muons have mass and they are moving at light speed, then the energy of
the particle is, according to SR, a singularity.
Old September 23rd 11, 05:48 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 23/09/2011 11:39 AM, Marvin the Martian wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:07:24 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

On 23/09/2011 5:42 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
A theory is based on logical reasoning. Just stating "Nothing moves
faster than light" is dogma.

I give you that stating 'All dogmas will fall' is also a dogma, and
probably with the current state of eeeehhhhh mind ... of humanity all
dogmas it holds will not fall before the species goes extinct. But that
still leaves Einsteins a dogma.

Or perhaps you didn't bother to review the experiments that came before
Einstein that were leading to the conclusion that Einstein came to?

Yousuf Khan

If Muons have mass and they are moving at light speed, then the energy of
the particle is, according to SR, a singularity.

Whoever said muons are travelling at the speed of light? Now if you're
referring to the "muon neutrino" then you might be right. The three
forms of neutrinos: electron neutrino, muon neutrino, and tau neutrino.
They might all be massless.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 23rd 11, 06:06 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Marvin the Martian

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 12:48:42 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

[...]

My bad. For some reason I thought it was a muon, since they mentioned one
of my old prof's work.

The conventional wisdom is that all massless particles travel at the
speed of light.

Quite frankly, since all the physicist reporting on this are Italians, I
don't think anything interesting has really been found. :-p

It is probably more about phunding than physics.
Old September 23rd 11, 07:22 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Byron Forbes[_2_]

In article , says...

There's probably an instrument error responsible for this.

Yousuf Khan
***
Particles recorded moving faster than light - CERN | Reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7KM3UU20110922

(Reuters) - An international team of scientists has recorded neutrino particles travelling faster than the speed of light, a spokesman for the researchers said on Thursday -- in what could be a challenge to one of the fundamental rules of physics.

Antonio Ereditato, who works at the CERN particle physics centre on the Franco-Swiss border, told Reuters that measurements over three years showed the neutrinos moving 60 nanoseconds quicker than light over a distance of 730 km between Geneva and Gran Sasso, Italy.

"We have high confidence in our results. But we need other colleagues to do their tests and confirm them," he said.

If confirmed, the discovery would overturn a key part of Albert Einstein's 1905 theory of special relativity, which says that nothing in the universe can travel faster than light. (Reporting by Robert Evans, editing by Tom Miles)

This is obviously wrong because otherwise it's mass would be infinity and we'd have all been consumed by this
black hole!
Old September 23rd 11, 08:22 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Byron Forbes[_2_]

In article , says...

On 9/22/11 1:04 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
There's probably an instrument error responsible for this.

Good call!

This will turn out to be correct.

And the solution will be space-time-mass 5 dimensional co-ordinate system mathematics.

This will yield the Forbes Transformation -

Boowoomba = 1 / sqrt [M^2 + T^2 + L^2] +/- BS

where BS is anything we like and applied to validate the theory no matter how obvious it is that it's complete and
utter rubbish.

Copyright Forbes - 24/9/2011

Yousuf Khan
***

Old September 23rd 11, 08:41 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 23/09/2011 1:06 PM, Marvin the Martian wrote:
My bad. For some reason I thought it was a muon, since they mentioned one
of my old prof's work.

The conventional wisdom is that all massless particles travel at the
speed of light.

Quite frankly, since all the physicist reporting on this are Italians, I
don't think anything interesting has really been found. :-p

It is probably more about phunding than physics.

My money is on the 2009 L'Aquila Italian earthquake changing the
landscape, creating a distance calibration error.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 23rd 11, 11:06 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
[email protected]

In sci.physics Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 23/09/2011 1:06 PM, Marvin the Martian wrote:
My bad. For some reason I thought it was a muon, since they mentioned one
of my old prof's work.

The conventional wisdom is that all massless particles travel at the
speed of light.

Quite frankly, since all the physicist reporting on this are Italians, I
don't think anything interesting has really been found. :-p

It is probably more about phunding than physics.

My money is on the 2009 L'Aquila Italian earthquake changing the
landscape, creating a distance calibration error.

Yousuf Khan

Since it appears they update that in real time, I doubt it.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.