Another co-incidence? The Earth's magnetic shield.

Old September 7th 11, 10:23 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Giga2[_2_]

Default Another co-incidence? The Earth's magnetic shield.

"James" wrote in message
"Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe
wrote in message
"At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker; the
present strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15% decline over the
last 150 years and has accelerated in the past several years;
geomagnetic intensity has declined almost continuously from a maximum
35% above the modern value achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...gnetic_fie ld

Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
reduced magnetic field and increased co2 or warming? Or could all be
caused by some other factor, perhaps galactic in origin?

A correlation is possible I suppose but one never knows. The Earth is not
a potted plant just coasting along through the cosmos without something
happening that might affect it. It bobs up and down through the galactic
plane for starters while many other stars do too. Who knows what or when
something odd might happen when it encounters different alignments?

Kismet

That was what I was thinking. But how could that affect co2 levels? Killing
off sea-algae maybe?

Old September 7th 11, 10:52 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
James

wrote in message
[...]

Hell, it could be anything. More warts, less fertility, mutations. Maybe
even warming/cooling. More/less co2. The Cosmos don't 'splain much
before it occurs.

Only environmentalists know everything.

Old September 7th 11, 11:49 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Brad Guth[_3_]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...e_of_the_geoma...

--

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts" Richard Feynman

"What's it gotta do with cloud feedbacks?" Giga2

99.9% of AGW is caused by various ZNR perpetrated hate crimes against
humanity, plus their trashing of the global environment. The other
0.1% is caused by the rest of us.

Natural GW is primarily caused by our moon, secondly by the failing
magnetosphere and thirdly by the sun.

There is a geoengineered solution, although you and others probably
don't want to know.

http://translate.google.com/#

Old September 8th 11, 12:12 AM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
dlzc

Dear John:

On Sep 7, 10:19*am, "John" wrote:
"dlzc" wrote in message

Dear Giga2:

. *Note the magnetic field is not
a "shield" for inhabitants of Earth. *It actually serves to divert
more solar wind towards Earth's surface. *It does provide some
protection for satellites...

Quote" Note the magnetic field is not
a "shield" for inhabitants of Earth. *It actually serves to divert
more solar wind towards Earth's surface. *It does provide some
protection for satellites..."

Are we all sure about that.

The magnetic field only diverts charged particles. Does nothing for
energetic photons.

Not what I've been told by many geophyicists.
Enlighten me please

As soon as you cite the geophysicists.

Consider what a "Bussard collector" is. Compare and contrast to
Earth's magnetic field. Consider what "northern lights" or "southern
lights" are... charged particles sliding along magnetic field lines,
and impacting the Earth. Occurs at night, when solar wind would have
passed the Earth.

David A. Smith
Old September 8th 11, 12:20 AM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
dlzc

Dear Giga2:

wrote:
"At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker;
the present strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15%
decline over the last 150 years and has accelerated in the past
several years; geomagnetic intensity has declined almost
continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern value
achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."

snip link now broken by Google Groups

Yes, this is a repeating phenomenon. *Same link.

Could there be any connection, as well as correlation,
between the reduced magnetic field and increased co2
or warming?

The historical record does not correspond well with historical
CO2 trends, or temperature trends.

=150-170 years ago co2 levels started to rise and also the
magnetic field started to go down. How is that not a good
correlation?

Because recently, the pole shifts every 11,000 years or so. CO2 has
no such trend.

So Maxwell proposed his explanation on feedback about 150 years ago.
Do you think there is a correlation to changes in magnetic field
strength? It happened at about the same time, even though there is no
reason to believe there can be any link...

Or could all be caused by some other factor, perhaps
galactic in origin?

"Other factor" is the best candidate. *Note the magnetic
field is not a "shield" for inhabitants of Earth. *It actually
serves to divert more solar wind towards Earth's surface.
*It does provide some protection for satellites...

=How does that happen? That the satellites are protected
and surface not?

Charged particles tend to follow field lines. Field lines are
concentrated at the poles, and sparse near the usual orbits.

Do you have any suggestions for the 'x' factor?

"Normal chaotic cycling."

David A. Smith
Old September 8th 11, 12:21 AM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Androcles[_64_]

"Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote in
message ...

| "Androcles" wrote in message
|
| "Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote
| in
| message ...
| |
| | "Androcles" wrote in
| message
| |
| | "Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe
| wrote
| | in
| | message ...
| | | "At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker; the
| | present
| | | strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15% decline over the last
| 150
| | years
| | | and has accelerated in the past several years; geomagnetic
intensity
| has
| | | declined almost continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern
| value
| | | achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."
| | |
| | |
| |

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...gnetic_fie ld
| | |
| | | Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
| | reduced
| | | magnetic field and increased co2 or warming? Or could all be
caused
| by
| | some
| | | other factor, perhaps galactic in origin?
| | |
| | Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
| reduced
| | magnetic field and Auntie Mathilda's birthday? Or could all be
caused
| by
| | some
| | other factor, perhaps the dog's breakfast in origin?
| |
| | And the answer to all four questions is a rousing and resounding
"YES!
| It
| | COULD be!"
| |
| | By what mechanism?
|
| The one that COULD be, of course!
|
| "Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe
| impossible things."
| "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was
| younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've
| believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
| Alice in Wonderland
|
| Grand.

When Kepler noticed the tides rose and fell as the Moon crossed
the sky he mentioned it to Galileo, who laughed. But Kepler was
right, there is a correlation. So let's see what a correlation is.
Moon overhead, high tide. Moon on the horizon, low tide.
Observe Moon. Observe tide. And every day its the same.
Perhaps there is a reason.
Ok, you say the earth's magnetic field is weakening.
What are you comparing it to?
"Some other factor, perhaps galactic in origin"
You are clearly a babbling idiot who has made no observation
whatsoever. All we CAN do is laugh.

Old September 8th 11, 12:21 AM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
columbiaaccidentinvestigation

On Sep 7, 2:17*pm, "Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe
wrote:
"columbiaaccidentinvestigation"

i doubt your interest in this subjest is honest, and instead might
just be the usuall attempt to spread doubt by the denialists who dont
want to reduce green house gas emissions. For it appears you have
just taken up the subject even though you previously admitted you
doubt anyone can "answer the question" that a connection exists.

=You seem to be a bit muddled. More cosmic rays are thought to perhaps
cause
more clouds and therefore *cooling*! In this case I am asking by what
mechanism, if any, might magnetic field variation and co2 levels or
*warming* be linked. More the co2 as that is the more coincident signal..

not muddled, more so not trusting of your words as you seem to be once
again approaching the issue with a "muddled view". *So to clarify, we
understand increasing the amounts of co2 in the atmosphere changes the
composition, and the thermodynamic poperties of earths atmosphere.
There has been no shown connection between GCR and clouds, and yet
there is a connection between co2 and human actions, and co2 and
warming.

=OK, no answer then.

lots of answers that bring up more questions, but one has to seperate
the bs from science.
Old September 8th 11, 12:42 AM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
1treePetrifiedForestLane

except that, although woodpower produces so much CO2
per quantum of energy, there was much less population.

considered as a fraction of the USA's non-CO2-making power,
nuclear is seven tenths of it. unfortunately,
the USA goment declared 99.3% or the uranium ore
to be "low-level waste," the U-238, and
we're still stuck with the ligh****er reactors.

of course, I'm not considering the production of CO2
from mining & manufacturing for eithe rnuclear or solar,
although high-temperature (sodium-cooled e.g.) reactors
are capable of generating "process heat"
for processing metals, whcih obviously solar cannot ... but,
it sure is great for space, and other remote ops.

especially in the Age of Woodpower.

Old September 8th 11, 01:57 AM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
deviousagenda21

"Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote in
message ...
"At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker; the present
strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15% decline over the last 150
years and has accelerated in the past several years; geomagnetic intensity
has declined almost continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern value
achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...gnetic_fie ld

Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the reduced
magnetic field and increased co2 or warming?

Truly remarkable ...

a leftist/warmist who ACTUALLY DOUBTS that mythical manmade global wsrming
causes everything bad!

I would have thought that you would automaticvally have added to the list

A not-so complete list of things caused by global warming

Agricultural land increase, Africa devastated, African aid threatened, air
pressure changes, Alaska reshaped, allergies increase, Alps melting, Amazon
a desert, American dream end, amphibians breeding earlier (or not),
ancient forests dramatically changed, Antarctic grass flourishes, anxiety,
algal blooms, archaeological sites threatened, Arctic bogs melt, Asthma,
atmospheric defiance, atmospheric circulation modified, avalanches reduced,
avalanches increased, bananas destroyed, bananas grow, bet for $10,000,
better beer, big melt faster, billion dollar research projects, billions of
deaths, bird distributions change, birds return early, blackbirds stop
singing, blizzards, blue mussels return, boredom, Britain Siberian, British
gardens change, bubonic plague, budget increases, building collapse,
building season extension, bushfires, business opportunities, business
risks, butterflies move north, cardiac arrest, caterpillar biomass shift,
challenges and opportunities, Cholera, civil unrest, cloud increase, cloud
stripping, cod go south, cold climate creatures survive, cold spells
(Australia), computer models, conferences, coral bleaching, coral reefs
dying, coral reefs grow, coral reefs shrink , cold spells, cost of
trillions, crime increase, crocodile sex, crumbling roads, buildings and
sewage systems, cyclones (Australia), damages equivalent to $200 billion,
Dengue hemorrhagic fever, dermatitis, desert advance, desert life
threatened, desert retreat, destruction of the environment, diarrhoea,
disappearance of coastal cities, diseases move north, Dolomites collapse,
drought, drowning people, ducks and geese decline, dust bowl in the corn
belt, early spring, earlier pollen season, Earth biodiversity crisis, Earth
dying, Earth even hotter, Earth light dimming, Earth lopsided, Earth
melting, Earth morbid fever, Earth on fast track, Earth past point of no
return, Earth slowing down, Earth spinning out of control, Earth to explode,
earth upside down, Earth wobbling, earthquakes, El Niño intensification,
erosion, emerging infections, encephalitis, Europe simultaneously baking and
freezing, evolution accelerating, expansion of university climate groups,
extinctions (human, civilisation, logic, Inuit, smallest butterfly, cod,
ladybirds, bats, pandas, pikas, polar bears, pigmy possums, gorillas,
koalas, walrus, whales, frogs, toads, turtles, orang-utan, elephants,
tigers, plants, salmon, trout, wild flowers, woodlice, penguins, a million
species, half of all animal and plant species, less, not polar bears,
barrier reef), experts muzzled, extreme changes to California, famine,
farmers go under, figurehead sacked, fish catches drop, fish catches rise,
fish stocks decline, five million illnesses, floods, Florida economic
decline, food poisoning, food prices rise, food security threat (SA),
footpath erosion, forest decline, forest expansion, frosts, fungi invasion,
Garden of Eden wilts, genetic diversity decline, gene pools slashed,
gingerbread houses collapse, glacial retreat, glacial growth, glacier
wrapped, global cooling, global dimming, glowing clouds, Gore omnipresence,
grandstanding, grasslands wetter, Great Barrier Reef 95% dead, Great Lakes
drop, greening of the North, Gulf Stream failure, habitat loss, Hantavirus
pulmonary syndrome, harvest increase, harvest shrinkage, hay fever
epidemic, hazardous waste sites breached, heat waves, hibernation ends too
soon, hibernation ends too late, high court debates, human fertility
reduced, human health improvement, human health risk, hurricanes, hydropower
problems, hyperthermia deaths, ice sheet growth, ice sheet shrinkage,
inclement weather, infrastructure failure (Canada), Inuit displacement,
Inuit poisoned, Inuit suing, industry threatened, infectious diseases,
insurance premium rises, invasion of midges, island disappears, islands
sinking, itchier poison ivy, jellyfish explosion, Kew Gardens taxed, krill
decline, lake and stream productivity decline, landslides, landslides of ice
at 140 mph, lawsuits increase, lawsuit successful, lawyers' income
increased (surprise surprise!), lightning related insurance claims, little
response in the atmosphere, Lyme disease, Malaria, malnutrition, Maple
syrup shortage, marine diseases, marine food chain decimated, marine dead
zone, Meaching (end of the world), megacryometeors, Melanoma, methane
emissions from plants, methane burps, melting permafrost, Middle Kingdom
convulses, migration, migration difficult (birds), microbes to decompose
soil carbon more rapidly, more bad air days, more research needed,
mountain (Everest) shrinking, mountains break up, mountains taller,
mudslides, new islands, next ice age, Nile delta damaged, no effect in
India, nuclear plants bloom, oaks move north, ocean acidification, outdoor
hockey threatened, oyster diseases, ozone loss, ozone repair slowed, ozone
rise, Pacific dead zone, personal carbon rationing, pest outbreaks, pests
increase, phenology shifts, plankton blooms, plankton destabilised,
plankton loss, plant viruses, plants march north, polar bears aggressive,
polar bears cannibalistic, polar bears drowning, polar bears starve, polar
tours scrapped, psychosocial disturbances, railroad tracks deformed,
rainfall increase, rainfall reduction, refugees, reindeer larger, release of
ancient frozen viruses, resorts disappear, rice yields crash, rift on
Capitol Hill, rioting and nuclear war, rivers raised, rivers dry up,
rockfalls, rocky peaks crack apart, roof of the world a desert, Ross river
disease, salinity reduction, salinity increase, Salmonella, salmon
stronger, sea level rise, sea level rise faster, seals mating more, sex
change, sharks booming, sharks moving north, shrinking ponds, ski resorts
threatened, slow death, smog, snowfall increase, snowfall reduction,
societal collapse, songbirds change eating habits, sour grapes, space
problem, spiders invade Scotland, squid population explosion, squirrels
reproduce earlier, spectacular orchids, stormwater drains stressed, taxes,
tectonic plate movement, terrorism, ticks move northward (Sweden), tides
rise, tourism increase, trade winds weakened, tree beetle attacks, tree
foliage increase (UK), tree growth slowed, trees could return to Antarctic,
trees less colourful, trees more colourful, tropics expansion, tropopause
raised, tsunamis, turtles lay earlier, UK Katrina, Venice flooded, volcanic
eruptions, walrus pups orphaned, war, wars over water, water bills double,
water supply unreliability, water scarcity (20% of increase), water stress,
weather out of its mind, weather patterns awry, weeds, Western aid cancelled
out, West Nile fever, whales move north, wheat yields crushed in Australia,
white Christmas dream ends, wildfires, wind shift, wind reduced, wine -
harm to Australian industry, wine industry damage (California), wine
industry disaster (US), wine - more English, wine -German boon, wine - no
more French , winters in Britain colder, wolves eat more moose, wolves eat
less, workers laid off, World bankruptcy, World in crisis, Yellow fever.

and all on 0.006 deg C per year!

Advice of any omissions (with sources) or broken links is welcome at

Note: All links were live at time of posting. Inevitably some will
disappear, particularly from Yahoo News.

Thanks to correspondents for additional entries; especially, as always, Our
Man in Puerto Rico.

Warmest Regards

B0nz0

"It is a remarkable fact that despite the worldwide expenditure of perhaps
US$50 billion since 1990, and the efforts of tens of thousands of scientists
worldwide, no human climate signal has yet been detected that is distinct
from natural variation."
Bob Carter, Research Professor of Geology, James Cook University, Townsville

"A major problem has been the co-option of climate science by politics,
ambition, greed, and what seems to be a hereditary human need for a
righteous cause."
"What better cause than "saving" the planet, especially if one can get
ample, secure funding at the same time?"
William Happer, Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics, Princeton
University.

"Today's debate about global warming is essentially a debate about freedom.
The environmentalists would like to mastermind each and every possible (and
impossible) aspect of our lives."
Vaclav Klaus, Blue Planet in Green Shackles

"If climate has not "tipped" in over 4 billion years it's not going to tip
now due to mankind. The planet has a natural thermostat"
Richard S. Lindzen, Atmospheric Physicist, Professor of Meteorology MIT,
Former IPCC Lead Author

"It does not matter who you are, or how smart you are, or what title you
have, or how many of you there are, and certainly not how many papers your
side has published, if your prediction is wrong then your hypothesis is
wrong. Period."
Professor Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics

"A core problem is that science has given way to ideology. The scientific
method has been dispensed with, or abused, to serve the myth of man-made
global warming."
"The World Turned Upside Down", Melanie Phillips

"Computer models are built in an almost backwards fashion: The goal is to
show evidence of AGW, and the "scientists" go to work to produce such a
result. When even these models fail to show what advocates want, the data
and interpretations are "fudged" to bring about the desired result"
"The World Turned Upside Down", Melanie Phillips

"Ocean acidification looks suspiciously like a back-up plan by the
environmental pressure groups in case the climate fails to warm: another try
at condemning fossil fuels!"
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...ly-exaggerated

Before attacking hypothetical problems, let us first solve the real problems
that threaten humanity. One single water pump at an equivalent cost of a
couple of solar panels can indeed spare hundreds of Sahel women the daily
journey to the spring and spare many infections and lives.
Martin De Vlieghere, philosopher

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that
it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of
mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible."
Bertrand Russell

Old September 8th 11, 09:48 AM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Giga2[_2_]

"Androcles" wrote in message

"Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote
in
message ...

| "Androcles" wrote in
message

| "Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe
wrote
| in
| message ...
| |
| | "Androcles" wrote in
| message
| |
| | "Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe
| wrote
| | in
| | message ...
| | | "At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker;
the
| | present
| | | strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15% decline over the
last
| 150
| | years
| | | and has accelerated in the past several years; geomagnetic
intensity
| has
| | | declined almost continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern
| value
| | | achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."
| | |
| | |
| |

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...gnetic_fie ld
| | |
| | | Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between
the
| | reduced
| | | magnetic field and increased co2 or warming? Or could all be
caused
| by
| | some
| | | other factor, perhaps galactic in origin?
| | |
| | Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
| reduced
| | magnetic field and Auntie Mathilda's birthday? Or could all be
caused
| by
| | some
| | other factor, perhaps the dog's breakfast in origin?
| |
| | And the answer to all four questions is a rousing and resounding
"YES!
| It
| | COULD be!"
| |
| | By what mechanism?
|
| The one that COULD be, of course!
|
| "Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe
| impossible things."
| "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was
| younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've
| believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
| Alice in Wonderland
|
| Grand.

When Kepler noticed the tides rose and fell as the Moon crossed
the sky he mentioned it to Galileo, who laughed. But Kepler was
right, there is a correlation. So let's see what a correlation is.
Moon overhead, high tide. Moon on the horizon, low tide.
Observe Moon. Observe tide. And every day its the same.
Perhaps there is a reason.
Ok, you say the earth's magnetic field is weakening.
What are you comparing it to?
"Some other factor, perhaps galactic in origin"
You are clearly a babbling idiot who has made no observation
whatsoever. All we CAN do is laugh.

Not sure if you are just a troll? But it is hardly *me* that is saying it.
It is scientists and well accepted fact. Doh!