Another co-incidence? The Earth's magnetic shield.

Old September 7th 11, 03:04 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
dlzc

Default Another co-incidence? The Earth's magnetic shield.

Dear Giga2:

On Sep 7, 3:50*am, "Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe
wrote:
"At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker;
the present strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15%
decline over the last 150 years and has accelerated in the past
several years; geomagnetic intensity has declined almost
continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern value
achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...e_of_the_geoma...

Yes, this is a repeating phenomenon. Same link.

Could there be any connection, as well as correlation,
between the reduced magnetic field and increased co2
or warming?

The historical record does not correspond well with historical CO2
trends, or temperature trends.

Or could all be caused by some other factor, perhaps
galactic in origin?

"Other factor" is the best candidate. Note the magnetic field is not
a "shield" for inhabitants of Earth. It actually serves to divert
more solar wind towards Earth's surface. It does provide some
protection for satellites...

David A. Smith
Old September 7th 11, 03:59 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Androcles[_64_]

"Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote in
message ...

| "Androcles" wrote in message
|
| "Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote
| in
| message ...
| | "At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker; the
| present
| | strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15% decline over the last 150
| years
| | and has accelerated in the past several years; geomagnetic intensity
has
| | declined almost continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern value
| | achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."
| |
| |

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...gnetic_fie ld
| |
| | Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
| reduced
| | magnetic field and increased co2 or warming? Or could all be caused by
| some
| | other factor, perhaps galactic in origin?
| |
| Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
reduced
| magnetic field and Auntie Mathilda's birthday? Or could all be caused by
| some
| other factor, perhaps the dog's breakfast in origin?
|
| And the answer to all four questions is a rousing and resounding "YES!
It
| COULD be!"
|
| By what mechanism?

The one that COULD be, of course!

"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe
impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was
younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've
believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland

Old September 7th 11, 06:19 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
John[_32_]

"dlzc" wrote in message
Dear Giga2:

.. Note the magnetic field is not
a "shield" for inhabitants of Earth. It actually serves to divert
more solar wind towards Earth's surface. It does provide some
protection for satellites...

David A. Smith

Quote" Note the magnetic field is not
a "shield" for inhabitants of Earth. It actually serves to divert
more solar wind towards Earth's surface. It does provide some
protection for satellites..."

Are we all sure about that. Not what I've been told by many geophyicists.
Enlighten me please

Old September 7th 11, 06:41 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Dawlish

On Sep 7, 1:26*pm, "Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe
wrote:
"Androcles" wrote in message

"Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote
in
| "At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker; the
present
| strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15% decline over the last 150
years
| and has accelerated in the past several years; geomagnetic intensity has
| declined almost continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern value
| achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...e_of_the_geoma...

| Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
reduced
| magnetic field and increased co2 or warming? Or could all be caused by
some
| other factor, perhaps galactic in origin?

Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the reduced
magnetic field and Auntie Mathilda's birthday? Or could all be caused by
some
other factor, perhaps the dog's breakfast in origin?

And the answer to all four questions is a rousing and resounding "YES! It
COULD be!"

By what mechanism?- Hide quoted text -

I think you missed the fact and the irony. You stupid, stupid denier.
Old September 7th 11, 07:18 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
James

wrote in message
"At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker; the
present strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15% decline over the
last 150 years and has accelerated in the past several years;
geomagnetic intensity has declined almost continuously from a maximum
35% above the modern value achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...gnetic_fie ld

Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
reduced magnetic field and increased co2 or warming? Or could all be
caused by some other factor, perhaps galactic in origin?

A correlation is possible I suppose but one never knows. The Earth is
not a potted plant just coasting along through the cosmos without
something happening that might affect it. It bobs up and down through
the galactic plane for starters while many other stars do too. Who knows
what or when something odd might happen when it encounters different
alignments?

Kismet

Old September 7th 11, 07:40 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
1treePetrifiedForestLane

probably there is a connection between the flip
of the magnetic pole & technology, since
the latter seems to effect every thing else
on Eaaarth, notably production of CO2,
especially in the Age of Woodpower.
Old September 7th 11, 09:01 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Dawlish

All together now!

"We don't know what it is (and it could be galactic alignment now or
maybe even a reduced magnetic field, or even something else maybe!)
but it can't be CO2"
[...]

WELL IT COULD BE (stamping little feet and being al shouty to try
desperately to get someone to listen) *))
Old September 7th 11, 10:15 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Giga2[_2_]

"Androcles" wrote in message

"Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote
in
message ...

| "Androcles" wrote in
message

| "Giga2" "Giga2" just(removetheseandaddmatthe
wrote
| in
| message ...
| | "At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker; the
| present
| | strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15% decline over the last
150
| years
| | and has accelerated in the past several years; geomagnetic intensity
has
| | declined almost continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern
value
| | achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."
| |
| |

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...gnetic_fie ld
| |
| | Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
| reduced
| | magnetic field and increased co2 or warming? Or could all be caused
by
| some
| | other factor, perhaps galactic in origin?
| |
| Could there be any connection, as well as correlation, between the
reduced
| magnetic field and Auntie Mathilda's birthday? Or could all be caused
by
| some
| other factor, perhaps the dog's breakfast in origin?
|
| And the answer to all four questions is a rousing and resounding "YES!
It
| COULD be!"
|
| By what mechanism?

The one that COULD be, of course!

"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe
impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was
younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've
believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland

Grand.

Old September 7th 11, 10:17 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Giga2[_2_]

"columbiaaccidentinvestigation"
i doubt your interest in this subjest is honest, and instead might
just be the usuall attempt to spread doubt by the denialists who dont
want to reduce green house gas emissions. For it appears you have
just taken up the subject even though you previously admitted you
doubt anyone can "answer the question" that a connection exists.

=You seem to be a bit muddled. More cosmic rays are thought to perhaps
cause
more clouds and therefore *cooling*! In this case I am asking by what
mechanism, if any, might magnetic field variation and co2 levels or
*warming* be linked. More the co2 as that is the more coincident signal.

not muddled, more so not trusting of your words as you seem to be once
again approaching the issue with a "muddled view". So to clarify, we
understand increasing the amounts of co2 in the atmosphere changes the
composition, and the thermodynamic poperties of earths atmosphere.
There has been no shown connection between GCR and clouds, and yet
there is a connection between co2 and human actions, and co2 and
warming.

=OK, no answer then.

Old September 7th 11, 10:21 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro,sci.environment,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Giga2[_2_]

wrote:
"At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker;
the present strong deterioration corresponds to a 10-15%
decline over the last 150 years and has accelerated in the past
several years; geomagnetic intensity has declined almost
continuously from a maximum 35% above the modern value
achieved approximately 2,000 years ago."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagn...e_of_the_geoma...

Yes, this is a repeating phenomenon. Same link.

Could there be any connection, as well as correlation,
between the reduced magnetic field and increased co2
or warming?

The historical record does not correspond well with historical CO2
trends, or temperature trends.

=150-170 years ago co2 levels started to rise and also the magnetic field
started to go down. How is that not a good correlation?

Or could all be caused by some other factor, perhaps
galactic in origin?

"Other factor" is the best candidate. Note the magnetic field is not
a "shield" for inhabitants of Earth. It actually serves to divert
more solar wind towards Earth's surface. It does provide some
protection for satellites...

=How does that happen? That the satellites are protected and surface not?
Do you have any suggestions for the 'x' factor?