Is Nimbus 7 tumbling?

Old May 1st 05, 09:13 AM
William R. Thompson

Default Is Nimbus 7 tumbling?

I just spotted Nimbus 7 (78098A) in clear skies. For most of
the pass it was just visible in 10x50 binoculars, but about once
every fifteen seconds it it brightened to about magnitude 5.
I haven't seen it in a few years, but I don't recall it doing
anything this interesting.

--Bill Thompson
Old May 5th 05, 05:11 AM
Ed Cannon

Bill Thompson wrote:

I just spotted Nimbus 7 (78098A) in clear skies. ...
about once every fifteen seconds it it brightened to
about magnitude 5. ... I don't recall it doing
anything this interesting.

I didn't find any other reports of it tumbling or
flashing, for example in the "Photometric Periods of
Artificial Satellites" (PPAS) database. But I would
think that it's possible, so I hope I get predictions
for it so as to check it out also. Thank you for the
report!

Ed Cannon - - Austin, Texas, USA
(Remove "donotspam".)